"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia

fig fritters - Vera, could you tell about these, please.
Hi Licia

The fig fritters are my own creation. I've got a thing for mission figs and look for new ways to prepare them all the time. I had a pint of figs...

I quartered the figs and sprinkled them with fresh grated nutmeg and ginger. I then baked them for 20 minutes at 350.

Meantime, I blended 3 jumbo eggs, half a cup of dark rum ( I used Gossling) 1 cup of milk, 1/2t cinnamon, 1/4 t. ginger, 1/8 t cloves and 1/4 t fresh nutmet. Then I added 3 1/2 cups cake flour (Downs) and 1 t. salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar.

Stirred that all together. Added 1/3 cup pignoli nuts and the baked figs. I used a wire wisk to blend it, paying attention to try to mash the figs.

In a cast iron frying pan I heated a combination of vegetable oil and shortening. Using a teaspoon, I dropped the batter into the hot hot oil, turning halfway through cooking. It took about 3 minutes per side, but check your oil and temps often!

When I removed them from the oil, I drizzled honey over them and served quickly. You can hold them for an hour, but don't add the honey till you serve.

As I said this is my own creation, I hope you like it.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #32
Executive Chef

beef risotto

brown short grain rice risotto, using garlic onion celery carrot beef broth thyme parsley salt pepper red pepper cooke dlike risotto, which it is, hot sautee strips of flank steak, quick sautee of young leaf spinach,

serve risotto over the spinach in a bowl, with strips of steak on top, top with grated romano cheese.

really good

Old 08-25-2006, 10:00 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Grilled Atlantic Salmon, grilled baby yellow Sunburst squash, grilled red pepper, all rubbed with olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper; La Brea Bakery roasted garlic sourdough loaf, heated on the grill; and a 2002 Navarro Vineyards Premiere Reserve Mendocino Chardonnay.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Beer Braised Brisket, green salad, potatoes rissole, garlic ciabatta and for dessert; green grapes, watermelon balls, cantaloupe balls and a few other melon balls mixed together and drizzled with Minus 8 Vinegar.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #35
Executive Chef

I'm kinda sick today, so I had hashbrowns. I might have some cereal in a little bit.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:59 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
I'm kinda sick today, so I had hashbrowns. I might have some cereal in a little bit.
sorry to read you are not feeling well. I hope today is a better day for you.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #37
Master Chef

I came across a large, absolutely glistening fresh, 2-1/2" thick piece of Swordfish yesterday while shopping, & simply pan-fried/sauteed it in my large cast-iron Lodge frying pan. Served it with lots of lemon wedges & a large green salad.

Normally a piece of fish this size would have yielded enough leftovers for a nice fish salad the next day, but it was so good that both husband & I cleaned our plates - lol!!
Old 08-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
TC is crewsk's son.
Thanks Andy!