Dinner this Ash Wednesday, February 21st?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
for all of us people with dirty thumbprints on our foreheads, remember, it's supposed to be a day of fasting. only 1 normal meal.

for everyone else, it's just wednesday.;)

so, i'm going to try to keep with fasting days, and fishy fridays, and i'm giving up bread for lent. (i'm gonna need help with that one. :( )

so far today, i just had korean boiled seaweed and bean paste/hot sauce, and fish sauce pickled julienned daikon for breakfast, and onion soup for lunch.

tonight, i getting take out from a favourite italian place. we'll probably get shrimp and white bean salad, broccoli salad, calamari affogati, shrimp or scungilli fra diavolo, or whatever the fish special is today, and sides of pasta.

oh, and a double italian chocolate dipped tartufo. i didn't give up desserts, ya know...:angel:

what are you having for dinner tonight?

Thinking chicken stir fry. I am going to have soup as a standby for those stirfry haters in the crowd.

Giving up BREAD!!! Whoa, you are ambitious. I haven't decided what to give up yet. I may instead try to be more generous and giving. I don't know. I've tried for YEARS to give up swearing, then I get in the car. I'd better try it again darn it. This is going to be tough.

As is tradition in my household, I shall completely trample the purpose of this particular um...whatever it is (I guess it's a holiday? Never was quite sure on this) and go all out for all 3 meals.

As for dinner, we're doing:

Jumbo poached tiger shrimp cocktail w/ horseradish sauce, avocado and lemon

Phyllo Wrapped baked Anjou pear and Roquefort cheese with Lollo Rosso Lettuce, spicy pecans and blueberry vinaigrette

Roasted rack of lamb and Merguez sausage in a crispy crepe with ricotta risotto and Pinot Noir sauce

Grand Marnier Souffle

Andre Rochat for the win :)

Last edited:
Not sure yet, as my folks are due to arrive here any time. I'll see what they'd like me to cook :chef:

Buckytom, you are indeed a brave soul. No bread? Holy cow!

buckytom said:
and i'm giving up bread for lent. (i'm gonna need help with that one. :( )
Wow, good luck, Buckytom!! My sweetie gives up meat for Lent. I think it will be some kind of plain pasta for us tonight.

Don't ya just love folks walking around with dirt spots on their forehead? :LOL: Me, I'm taking up eating more grains, pulses, beans etc. gack but, I'll do it.

YT are you giving up beef broth or eating it tonight?

We had a stirfry. We have been hankering after healthy veg....just cannot get enough.

For Lent I am going to re-establish healthy, moderate but disciplined eating. No extremes, I am giving up extremes too. I am also going to work on increasing excercise consistantly and working through my health issues.

buckytom said:
so, i'm going to try to keep with fasting days, and fishy fridays, and i'm giving up bread for lent. (i'm gonna need help with that one. :( )
Bucky, if you're successful, you will probably see yourself losing at least 10 pounds!

I'm not Catholic, so I'm not fasting for Lent, but today I'm embarking on a two-week cleansing program.... so for dinner tonight it's going to be broiled fish with fresh herbs and lemon and lots of veggies, including at least 1/2 a cup of cooked carrots.... I'm going to saute some Swiss Chard with garlic, shooooooooooot! doesn't sound like much of a fast to me! :LOL:

I had Quinoa with Chick Peas, Basil & Tomato...very tasty with sundried tomato paste, onion, garlic, fresh basil and steamed asparagus.

Fresh basil, smells sooooo good! :mrgreen:

lulu said:
YT are you giving up beef broth or eating it tonight?

Although I was brought up VERY STRICT Catholic, I don`t subscribe to that anymore, I`m more of a Naturalistic/Scientific Pantheist.

So... I`m Eating it :)

Since the snow melted and the sun is out, we're grilling bacon & blue burgers with all the fixings and having a Caesars salad.

Sunny 34' deg. bbq'ing chicken, mac-n-cheese, green beans and garlic bread. (out of potatoes -yikes !)

Last edited:
buckytom said:
for all of us people with dirty thumbprints on our foreheads, remember, it's supposed to be a day of fasting. only 1 normal meal.
for everyone else, it's just wednesday.;)
BT, that's sweet of you to remind Catholics of the fast. I only wish I were on the same time zone as you so as to make your reminder a bit more timely. In any case, to make amends, I will forego dinner tonight!:)

in the motor city, just finished my meal downstairs. I had a couple of pieces of cheese, lots of fresh fruit, fresh raw vegetables w/ a teaspoon of ranch dressing and a diet pepsi.:mellow:

Buckytom, you crack me up. I am not one of the thumbprint gang, but used to be when I was a kid (no offense meant to anyone observing lent). So, that said, I dont fast on ash Wednesday.

We had chicken pot pie and french fries on the side.

Back
Top Bottom