Dinner Thread, Friday May 31st

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night we stopped at the DQ on the way home from shopping. I got the Flamethrower burger and a vanilla shake and SO got the chicken tenders and a banana shake.

I'm at my sister's and BIL's house in Austin. My dad and BIL wanted to introduce me to Papa Murphy's pizza so we ordered a meat-stuffed pizza. It's a take-and-bake deal - they make it and you bake it at home. It was very good.

Nope, Bunny, haven't heard of it. Then again when it comes to wine I'm not so much a connoisseur as a common-sewer! :LOL: We do enjoy a bottle of good wine now and then but the buck comes to a screaming halt when I get to the fine wines.
You can't really go wrong with Italian wine in general when it comes to food pairing. Even the reds have such nice, bright acidity and freshness.

Some of my favorites with meals are Barbera and Dolcetto (both lighter reds), as well as Chianti Classico. With pizza or burgers, try Nero d'Avola. It's one of my "go to" wines for weekday meals. And it usually won't break the bank.

Last edited:
oh man, bolla valpolicella was a favourite dinner wine of mine years ago. it tastes so good with so many dishes at at great price, leaving behind the pretentious attitude so many oenophiles require.

to the rank an file, such differences are negligible, or for experts who have the time to spend on it. same as anyone might.
to each his own focus.

so, my dinner friday, after a tough baseball game whereby the field lights went out in the middle innings (of which we finally won) it ended up being takeout from the tenafly diner. salad, turkey over stuffing, mashed, cranberry sauce, and a glass of the diner's owner's homemade garage wine that, with a glass of icewater in this heat,hit the spot beyond what can be described.

Alix and CG......have either of you ever tried Amarone della Valpolicella? Or Amarone for short? It's lovely. Probably fuller bodied, drier and more intense than the Valpolicella Classico (I'm guessing the Bola is the Classico). I bet Steve Kroll could shed more light, he is much more knowledgable about wine than I am, but for what it's worth....the Amarone is really nice.
Amarone is very nice, but also tends to be very expensive because of all the work that goes into making it. We have it sometimes for special occasions.

If you like the Amarone style, you might also try a wine called Ripasso. It's kind of a budget version of Amarone. Basically it's made by taking the leftover grape skins from an Amarone and fermenting them a second time with Valpolicella wine. It tastes a lot like Amarone, but at a fraction of the price.

...a glass of the diner's owner's homemade garage wine that, with a glass of icewater in this heat,hit the spot beyond what can be described.
I agree. About 90% of what we drink at our house is "garage wine" (although it's actually made in the basement ;)) and is some of our favorites. We had a glass of ice cold cranberry wine out on the deck last night. Slightly sweet, slightly tart. Can't beat it.

Last edited:
Somebunny, I totally missed your question til now. Sorry!

I have to be very very careful with commercial red wines as they will often inspire migraines within a few sips. The valpolicella I drank was made for me by my sister. I bought it for her to make some time ago. Lordy it is good. Smooth, fruity and truly lovely mouth feel. (Is that called its legs?) I don't think its quite as heavy or full bodied as some of the other red wines I've tasted recently. I'm not much of a connoisseur, since I can't drink many wines, but I know what I like. Forgive me if I use the wrong terms to describe them.

Back
Top Bottom