Dinner Thread - Wednesday, 11/6/2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Wow... late in the day to start the dinner thread!

We have quite a few Indians at my place of employment, so today they had a Diwali potluck over lunch and brought in home-cooked food for everyone in our office. For anyone who doesn't know, Diwali is the Hindu "Festival of Lights". It's a big holiday in India. Big, in the same way that Christmas is here.

Even though I'm not Indian, I love the food and thought it would be fun to participate. So last night I made a big pot of Lamb Korma to bring in, and had the foresight to make enough extra so we could also have some for dinner tonight.

By the way, the group made me an "honorary Indian" for the day. :)

Diwali 2013 | Hindu American Foundation (HAF)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll do either a chicken pot pie or a chicken and stuffing casserole starring a rotisserie chicken and a cream of something soup. Simple is they way to go today for me.

And some butternut squash soup.

Last edited:
I worked practically my whole life at a university- hospital, which by its very nature is diverse and incudes many cultures, and there was almost always a reason for a pot luck and a celebration. It was only in recent years when I was working for an int'l publishing company that I learned about, and we celebrated Diwali with a holiday pot luck with our co workers. And yes, I had to research foods and figure out what to make/bring, since my experience even eating at Indian restaurants was somewhat limited at the time.

Dinner tonight is very simple. Can of Campbells Tomato soup and a good cheddar toasted cheese sandwich. Instant boxed dark chocolate pudding with a tsp of hazelnut coffee syrup added and it's good to go.

Low country shrimp and grits.:yum: Tomorrow will be special......to be continued!;)

(SO's Low Carb Day #3) I don't have a clue! I was going to do a stir-fry with shrimp but SO called and doesn't want that. She asked for shrimp and a salad. I'm not sure what I'll have.

A salad with cottage cheese, peas, and some of the last of the cherry toms.

Country style steak and fries at our house tonight. A cold front is moving in to the Gulf Coast. It's already a chilly 66 outside. I need to go find my parka.

Did a big grocery shop today, so I'm pooped. I had the foresight to pick up a rotisserie chicken at Costco. So supper will be rotisserie chicken, salad with homemade vinaigrette, and some really tasty wholegrain, organic, sourdough bread (from Costco). If I get some energy I might make an apple pie for dessert.

I had a huge meatball sub for lunch and am not really hungry, but will probably make a salad later. A big salad. They aren't really filling for me, but it will satisfy my need to eat something out of habit or as soon as I get up tomorrow.

Venison Meatloaf etc, & made ice cream too!
39817-albums960-picture5682.jpg

Just KFC tonight. :ermm: :huh:

I'm an Indian food virgin :) - my daughter and I keep saying we need to go to the city and try it. We have no Indian restaurants locally, and it would be such an experience to go to a good restaurant and get a sampler plate or chef's recommendation. Bucket list. :)

Mr. salt and pepper ;), your venison meatloaf meal looks fantastic. Especially with the gravy.

Did a big grocery shop today, so I'm pooped. I had the foresight to pick up a rotisserie chicken at Costco. So supper will be rotisserie chicken, salad with homemade vinaigrette, and some really tasty wholegrain, organic, sourdough bread (from Costco). If I get some energy I might make an apple pie for dessert.

Sounds good, Taxlady. Rotisserie chickens are so convenient aren't they? I love them, especially Costco's. Did you end up making an apple pie? :ohmy: :yum:

The best of intentions....been there, done that, will continue to do that. haha. Maybe another day. :)

I noticed that too. :) I've had 'poor man's bloody marys' as my uncle used to call them, and I like them. I didn't know Bud has them premade. :ohmy: :yum:
I learn something new here every day!

Back
Top Bottom