Dinner? Thurs. 12/20/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks GG. Alas, my subscription to NYT Cooking has expired, and I’m not in a position to renew, currently.

I’ll figure out a workaround!
I don't have a subscription, either. I think you just have to be logged in to your account to see the recipes. That doesn't work for other articles.

Thanks GG. Although I really enjoy Penzeys Sandwich Sprinkle for lots of things, I'll be using the Cavender's Greek seasoning that I use for my Greek Thighs.

I'm not a fan of Feta, and I find that Mexican Cotija is a perfect substitute.

Can wait to make this. :yum:
Enjoy! :yum:

What does being Catholic have to do with it?
The Feast of the Fishes is an Italian Catholic tradition, apparently. Several of the recipe sites that I get emails from have been posting recipes for it. I would guess it’s to celebrate the Fishes and Loaves? I just like seafood, and shellfish in particular. Any excuse to make some is good, although I’m aware I don’t really need an excuse!

The Feast of the Fishes is an Italian Catholic tradition, apparently. Several of the recipe sites that I get emails from have been posting recipes for it. I would guess it’s to celebrate the Fishes and Loaves? I just like seafood, and shellfish in particular. Any excuse to make some is good, although I’m aware I don’t really need an excuse!
Oh, the Feast of the Seven Fishes. It's Italian-American, actually, and commemorates the wait for the birth of Jesus. They eat fish because they abstain from meat during the wait. I didn't realize that's what you were referring to.

It's not necessarily about abstaining from meat, but rather having 7 white fishes to represent the 7 sacraments, and the white represents purity.

But it is La Vigilia di Natale, or the wait for the birth.

It's funny to watch my relatives and friends try to squeeze in 7 types of fish. You can get 3 or 4 sometimes into one dish such as a zuppa di pesce.

Last edited:
Oh, the Feast of the Seven Fishes. It's Italian-American, actually, and commemorates the wait for the birth of Jesus. They eat fish because they abstain from meat during the wait. I didn't realize that's what you were referring to.
The Feast of the Seven Fishes. Aha!

Thanks for the explanation!

It's not necessarily about abstaining from meat, but rather having 7 white fishes to represent the 7 sacraments, and the white represents purity.

But it is La Vigilia di Natale, or the wait for the birth.

It's funny to watch my relatives and friends try to squeeze in 7 types of fish. You can get 3 or 4 sometimes into one dish such as a zuppa di pesce.
According to Wikipedia:
The Feast of the Seven Fishes is part of the Italian-American Christmas Eve celebration, although it is not called that in Italy and is not a "feast" in the sense of "holiday," but rather a grand meal.[1][3] Christmas Eve is a vigil or fasting day, and the abundance of seafood reflects the observance of abstinence from meat until the feast of Christmas Day itself...

The long tradition of eating seafood on Christmas Eve dates from the Roman Catholic tradition of abstaining from eating meat on the eve of a feast day.[1] As no meat or animal fat could be used on such days, observant Catholics would instead eat fish (typically fried in oil).

The number seven representing the sacraments is a theory, but it's not the only one. Some families have more than seven.

Last edited:
Again, you are an expert Googler.

How many times have ypu ever been to someone's house for the specific feast and discussed it?

How many Catholic masses have you been to, or years of Cathholic school or training.

Reading is nice, but you are way out of your depth here.

Last edited:
Again, you are an expert Googler.

How many times have ypu ever been to someone's house for the specific feast and discussed it?

How many Catholic masses have you been to, or years of Cathholic school or training.

Reading is nice, but you are way out of your depth here.
You know that kid's game, telephone?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom