"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Reruns tonight.
We have pizza, stew, clam chowder and green salad.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I'm making shredded beef tacos tonight. They remind me of my childhood. In Costa Rica, where my mother was born, tacos are made using a slow-cooked shredded beef cooked with tomatoes and onion instead of a spicy ground beef which are more a Mexican, Tex/Mex style. We also use soft ground corn tortillas instead of crispy shells. Toppings are simple, finely shredded lettuce or cabbage and thin-sliced tomato, for the sauce, it's a mayonnaise seasoned with a little red chili powder, tobasco and lime. No cheese or sour cream on these tacos, they don't need it, just some yellow rice on the side.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Thought I was being taken out to dinner tonight, but found belatedly that it's been postponed until tomorrow, so guess I will have a chance to enjoy the Swiss Chard (red!) that's been waiting patiently in my veggie keeper! A little garlic, a little cod should take care of things nicely!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Lefse, I'm in the same boat as you! DH wants to start cutting out all carbs for awhile--how on earth can I do that with the holidays coming up?!?
I have a friend whose DH insisted on cutting out carbs. You've heard the nursery rhyme Jack Sprat would eat no fat, his wife would eat no lean? Well, this situation is akin to that.

Pretty much all he wants is meat and beans. She hates most meat. She will eat beef if it's so blue it could walk across the table. She doesn't like pork chops or ribs. She doesn't like sausage of any kind (more's the pity; Italian sausage, bratwurst, andouille, etc. all wonderful IMHO). She does eat chicken and fish. (No, she's not a mock vegetarian, she's just picky that way.)

She has to cook copious amounts of meat, beans and the like for him (he has a huge appetite!) then cook something else for herself. All too often she simply winds up eating a salad or some steamed vegetables for her meal rather than bother to cook two meals, which, BTW, they cannot afford to do.

Fraidy
Old 11-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover
curious, do you use the Paula Deen recipe for your pineapple casserole? The one with butter and cheddar cheese? It is so good but my problem with it is that I always leave it in the oven too long and that's ruined it every time I've made it.

LEFSE, mine is a little diffrent from Paula Deen's. It's posted here Pineapple Casserole It still has the butter, cheese, & all but I don't mix it up, it's kind of layered.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #16
Head Chef

Roast Chicken (brining now), mashed potatoes with gravy and broccoli.
It's a rainy crappy day here, so I can't wait to crank up the oven
Old 11-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I had to scratch the pineapple casserole. I opened the fridge to get out the block of cheese I had in there & it was GONE!! I guess hubby used it for cheese toast or something. Oh well, I made baked apple pies instead. I cheated on them by using a can of apple pie filling & canned biscuits but they still taste good.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:47 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flourgirl
I'm making shredded beef tacos tonight. They remind me of my childhood. In Costa Rica, where my mother was born, tacos are made using a slow-cooked shredded beef cooked with tomatoes and onion instead of a spicy ground beef which are more a Mexican, Tex/Mex style. We also use soft ground corn tortillas instead of crispy shells. Toppings are simple, finely shredded lettuce or cabbage and thin-sliced tomato, for the sauce, it's a mayonnaise seasoned with a little red chili powder, tobasco and lime. No cheese or sour cream on these tacos, they don't need it, just some yellow rice on the side.
I LOVE COSTA RICA..........................THE FOOD THERE IS INCREDIBLE! Would you mind posting somewhere on here, your recipe for the yellow rice?
do you have room for one more, I'll skip my WW for today
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
I had to scratch the pineapple casserole. I opened the fridge to get out the block of cheese I had in there & it was GONE!! I guess hubby used it for cheese toast or something. Oh well, I made baked apple pies instead. I cheated on them by using a can of apple pie filling & canned biscuits but they still taste good.
I am glad you brought this recipe up. I just got off for Thanksgiving, just 5 minutes ago. I am soooo happy and now, it'll be family, friends, food. I will be buying the pineapple though, cause I loved this when I have made it in the past, and this time, I won't overbake!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #19
DC Grandma

What ever jumps out at me...Maybe eggs and bacon.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:36 PM   #20
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Still not sure but I'm leaning towards Salmon Patties and ?? sides.
Hey, I'm planning on salmon patties for tomorrow! Yum. Probably steamed broccoli on the side.

Fraidy