"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-16-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink Dinner Thurs. Nov. 16

Having the Italian sausage hoagies we didn't have last night----- was hungry for a burger and onion rings, slaw on the side. Still raining, hate grilling in the rain !!

Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Hubby's been complaining that he's gaining weight so I have to try now to think of things he'll enjoy that are calorie friendly, but pleasing to his pallette.

I'll have to do some thinking on the subject...

Okay, got it! In the **crock goes b/s/less chix breasts, ff Italian Turkey sweet sausages, with a can of Campbells Bean with Bacon soup, sauteed onions and garlic done first in a tsp. olive oil. A side of brown-wild rice and [ roasted in the oven]vegetables of carrots, yams and butternut squash. He nor I will get the sauce of the soup as it is calories/fat but that will have hopefully added the needed flavor to the non fat versions of my meats.

** This is a wonderful meal as we first had it for dinner at a friends house a hundred years ago. I'm speaking of the crock pot chix/sausage with BB soup, also in hers, she'd added the same size can of cut up tomatoes and their liquid. She'd also used cut up chix pieces on the bone and regular sausages, not ff. << Just an FYI

Old 11-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Well, I went to the store this morning after taking the kids to school. I walked up & down the meats for 10 minutes trying to decide what I wanted, I'm tired of chicken, beef, & pork chops. I finally settled on a ham. It's in the oven now & we're having mac & cheese, pineapple casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, & biscuits with it.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Master Chef

Lefse, I'm in the same boat as you! DH wants to start cutting out all carbs for awhile--how on earth can I do that with the holidays coming up?!?

I told him I'll start tomorrow . I'm hungry for pasta so tonight we're having pasta bolognese and oven roasted vegetables.

Crewsk, your dinner sounds great!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Dinner will have to be the balance of the Singapore Fried Egg Noodles that I did for lunch today.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Pork Chops are one of my favorite meats

I went to the store last week and picked up some pork chops. I usually cook them by themselves, but last night I cooked them with red onions. It gave them a nice extra flavor. I just thought I would pass that along.

Does anybody else have any ways to enhance pork chops or meats?

I'm always looking for new cooking touches for my food...

Thanks, Ace.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
Executive Chef

[quote=PA Baker]Lefse, I'm in the same boat as you! DH wants to start cutting out all carbs for awhile--how on earth can I do that with the holidays coming up?!?

I told him I'll start tomorrow . I'm hungry for pasta so tonight we're having pasta bolognese and oven roasted vegetables.[quote]

Oh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, my favorite dinner on earth is Spaghetti Bolognese, on my gosh, it's even really wonderful in Tuscany. Oh how do you make yours? Secrets please!

I have been WW'ing for a month now. Haven't noticed a huge difference in my weight or that I've lost much. My jeans are falling off, but my thoughts are that's because they are low waisted and my hips are smaller I think. Any which way, my husband would not in a million years, go for a weight watcher food diet.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
Well, I went to the store this morning after taking the kids to school. I walked up & down the meats for 10 minutes trying to decide what I wanted, I'm tired of chicken, beef, & pork chops. I finally settled on a ham. It's in the oven now & we're having mac & cheese, pineapple casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, & biscuits with it.

curious, do you use the Paula Deen recipe for your pineapple casserole? The one with butter and cheddar cheese? It is so good but my problem with it is that I always leave it in the oven too long and that's ruined it every time I've made it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidKnot
I'm going to put together a simple black bean chili. It's cold outside (for west Tennessee) so I don't feel like going to the store. I don't have a recipe for this. I have tomato sauce, I have (canned) vegetable stock. I have canned black beans (I rinse them first), I have ground beef. I have herbs and spices galore. I don't have any fresh onion or garlic but I keep dehydrated minced onion & garlic on hand which will work in a pinch. I'm just going to wing it. Might make a pan of cornbread to go with it. I luuuuuvs me some cornbread!Fraidy
Sounds like your dinner will be perfect, you have all it takes to make a wild and wickedly delicious chili. I bet you have ground chili powder and cumin. Simmer it all day on the stove on low and it'll be calling your name by dinner. I just bought self rising corn bread mix one in regular and one in buttermilk, couldn't resist. Happy dinner!

Also Fraidknot, be safe with the weather in your neck of the woods. Being reported here on TV that in Tenn, it's getting kind of bad. Be careful and be safe!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
I'm going to put together a simple black bean chili. It's cold outside (for west Tennessee) so I don't feel like going to the store. I don't have a recipe for this. I have tomato sauce, I have (canned) vegetable stock. I have canned black beans (I rinse them first), I have ground beef. I have herbs and spices galore. I don't have any fresh onion or garlic but I keep dehydrated minced onion & garlic on hand which will work in a pinch. I'm just going to wing it. Might make a pan of cornbread to go with it. I luuuuuvs me some cornbread!

Fraidy
Old 11-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #10
Master Chef

Still not sure but I'm leaning towards Salmon Patties and ?? sides.