Dinner Thurs. Nov. 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Having the Italian sausage hoagies we didn't have last night----- was hungry for a burger and onion rings, slaw on the side. Still raining, hate grilling in the rain !!

Hubby's been complaining that he's gaining weight so I have to try now to think of things he'll enjoy that are calorie friendly, but pleasing to his pallette.

I'll have to do some thinking on the subject...

Okay, got it! In the **crock goes b/s/less chix breasts, ff Italian Turkey sweet sausages, with a can of Campbells Bean with Bacon soup, sauteed onions and garlic done first in a tsp. olive oil. A side of brown-wild rice and [ roasted in the oven]vegetables of carrots, yams and butternut squash. He nor I will get the sauce of the soup as it is calories/fat but that will have hopefully added the needed flavor to the non fat versions of my meats.

** This is a wonderful meal as we first had it for dinner at a friends house a hundred years ago. I'm speaking of the crock pot chix/sausage with BB soup, also in hers, she'd added the same size can of cut up tomatoes and their liquid. She'd also used cut up chix pieces on the bone and regular sausages, not ff. << Just an FYI

Last edited:
Well, I went to the store this morning after taking the kids to school. I walked up & down the meats for 10 minutes trying to decide what I wanted, I'm tired of chicken, beef, & pork chops. I finally settled on a ham. It's in the oven now & we're having mac & cheese, pineapple casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, & biscuits with it.

Lefse, I'm in the same boat as you! DH wants to start cutting out all carbs for awhile--how on earth can I do that with the holidays coming up?!?:rolleyes:

I told him I'll start tomorrow:LOL: . I'm hungry for pasta so tonight we're having pasta bolognese and oven roasted vegetables.

Crewsk, your dinner sounds great!

Pork Chops are one of my favorite meats

I went to the store last week and picked up some pork chops. I usually cook them by themselves, but last night I cooked them with red onions. It gave them a nice extra flavor. I just thought I would pass that along.

Does anybody else have any ways to enhance pork chops or meats?

I'm always looking for new cooking touches for my food...

Thanks, Ace.

PA Baker said:
Lefse, I'm in the same boat as you! DH wants to start cutting out all carbs for awhile--how on earth can I do that with the holidays coming up?!?:rolleyes:

I told him I'll start tomorrow:LOL: . I'm hungry for pasta so tonight we're having pasta bolognese and oven roasted vegetables.
Oh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, my favorite dinner on earth is Spaghetti Bolognese, on my gosh, it's even really wonderful in Tuscany.:ROFLMAO: Oh how do you make yours? Secrets please!:chef:

I have been WW'ing for a month now. Haven't noticed a huge difference in my weight or that I've lost much. My jeans are falling off, but my thoughts are that's because they are low waisted and my hips are smaller I think. Any which way, my husband would not in a million years, go for a weight watcher food diet.:mad:

crewsk said:
Well, I went to the store this morning after taking the kids to school. I walked up & down the meats for 10 minutes trying to decide what I wanted, I'm tired of chicken, beef, & pork chops. I finally settled on a ham. It's in the oven now & we're having mac & cheese, pineapple casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, & biscuits with it.

curious, do you use the Paula Deen recipe for your pineapple casserole? The one with butter and cheddar cheese? It is so good but my problem with it is that I always leave it in the oven too long and that's ruined it every time I've made it.:(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FraidKnot said:
I'm going to put together a simple black bean chili. It's cold outside (for west Tennessee) so I don't feel like going to the store. I don't have a recipe for this. I have tomato sauce, I have (canned) vegetable stock. I have canned black beans (I rinse them first), I have ground beef. I have herbs and spices galore. I don't have any fresh onion or garlic but I keep dehydrated minced onion & garlic on hand which will work in a pinch. I'm just going to wing it. Might make a pan of cornbread to go with it. I luuuuuvs me some cornbread!Fraidy

Sounds like your dinner will be perfect, you have all it takes to make a wild and wickedly delicious chili. I bet you have ground chili powder and cumin. Simmer it all day on the stove on low and it'll be calling your name by dinner. I just bought self rising corn bread mix one in regular and one in buttermilk, couldn't resist. Happy dinner!:-p

Also Fraidknot, be safe with the weather in your neck of the woods. Being reported here on TV that in Tenn, it's getting kind of bad. Be careful and be safe!

Last edited:
I'm going to put together a simple black bean chili. It's cold outside (for west Tennessee) so I don't feel like going to the store. I don't have a recipe for this. I have tomato sauce, I have (canned) vegetable stock. I have canned black beans (I rinse them first), I have ground beef. I have herbs and spices galore. I don't have any fresh onion or garlic but I keep dehydrated minced onion & garlic on hand which will work in a pinch. I'm just going to wing it. Might make a pan of cornbread to go with it. I luuuuuvs me some cornbread!

Fraidy

I'm making shredded beef tacos tonight. They remind me of my childhood. In Costa Rica, where my mother was born, tacos are made using a slow-cooked shredded beef cooked with tomatoes and onion instead of a spicy ground beef which are more a Mexican, Tex/Mex style. We also use soft ground corn tortillas instead of crispy shells. Toppings are simple, finely shredded lettuce or cabbage and thin-sliced tomato, for the sauce, it's a mayonnaise seasoned with a little red chili powder, tobasco and lime. No cheese or sour cream on these tacos, they don't need it, just some yellow rice on the side.

Thought I was being taken out to dinner tonight, but found belatedly that it's been postponed until tomorrow, so guess I will have a chance to enjoy the Swiss Chard (red!) that's been waiting patiently in my veggie keeper! A little garlic, a little cod should take care of things nicely! :)

PA Baker said:

I have a friend whose DH insisted on cutting out carbs. You've heard the nursery rhyme Jack Sprat would eat no fat, his wife would eat no lean? Well, this situation is akin to that.

Pretty much all he wants is meat and beans. She hates most meat. She will eat beef if it's so blue it could walk across the table. She doesn't like pork chops or ribs. She doesn't like sausage of any kind (more's the pity; Italian sausage, bratwurst, andouille, etc. all wonderful IMHO). She does eat chicken and fish. (No, she's not a mock vegetarian, she's just picky that way.)

She has to cook copious amounts of meat, beans and the like for him (he has a huge appetite!) then cook something else for herself. All too often she simply winds up eating a salad or some steamed vegetables for her meal rather than bother to cook two meals, which, BTW, they cannot afford to do.

Fraidy

LEFSElover said:
curious, do you use the Paula Deen recipe for your pineapple casserole? The one with butter and cheddar cheese? It is so good but my problem with it is that I always leave it in the oven too long and that's ruined it every time I've made it.:(

LEFSE, mine is a little diffrent from Paula Deen's. It's posted here http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/pineapple-casserole-9280.html?highlight=Pineapple+Casserole It still has the butter, cheese, & all but I don't mix it up, it's kind of layered.

Roast Chicken (brining now), mashed potatoes with gravy and broccoli.
It's a rainy crappy day here, so I can't wait to crank up the oven:)

I had to scratch the pineapple casserole:(. I opened the fridge to get out the block of cheese I had in there & it was GONE!! I guess hubby used it for cheese toast or something. Oh well, I made baked apple pies instead. I cheated on them by using a can of apple pie filling & canned biscuits but they still taste good.

Flourgirl said:
I'm making shredded beef tacos tonight. They remind me of my childhood. In Costa Rica, where my mother was born, tacos are made using a slow-cooked shredded beef cooked with tomatoes and onion instead of a spicy ground beef which are more a Mexican, Tex/Mex style. We also use soft ground corn tortillas instead of crispy shells. Toppings are simple, finely shredded lettuce or cabbage and thin-sliced tomato, for the sauce, it's a mayonnaise seasoned with a little red chili powder, tobasco and lime. No cheese or sour cream on these tacos, they don't need it, just some yellow rice on the side.

I LOVE COSTA RICA..........................THE FOOD THERE IS INCREDIBLE! Would you mind posting somewhere on here, your recipe for the yellow rice?:angel:
do you have room for one more, I'll skip my WW for today:wacko:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
crewsk said:
I had to scratch the pineapple casserole:(. I opened the fridge to get out the block of cheese I had in there & it was GONE!! I guess hubby used it for cheese toast or something. Oh well, I made baked apple pies instead. I cheated on them by using a can of apple pie filling & canned biscuits but they still taste good.

I am glad you brought this recipe up. I just got off for Thanksgiving, just 5 minutes ago. I am soooo happy and now, it'll be family, friends, food. I will be buying the pineapple though, cause I loved this when I have made it in the past, and this time, I won't overbake!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom