Dinner Thursday 10-17-2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Late night in the dinner thread again,
eh? Guess I'll get it started. We had a perfect bottom round roast cooked with the hi-low method, mashed potatoes, spaghetti squash, and roasted carrots. Himself kept saying "yum". Winner Winner, roast beef dinner.
IMG_20191017_211422928.jpg

Day two of postdrome from migraine. I made up some soup with vegi stock, beef Better Than Bouillon, some already cooked chicken breast, and some frozen "stir fry vegis". I thought I had some chicken stock, but it smelled suspicious. I probably have more, somewhere in the freezer, but I'm not up for hunting for it.

Juicy tender Italian sausage meatballs from my recipe, with a spicy tomato-basil sauce, and spaghetti pasta.

CG - your roast looks perfectly cooked med-rarish - a tasty-looking meal !

Dinner was meatball "burgers" simmered in sauce, rice, green beans and salad last night.

Thanks, RMM. Every once in a while I nail it on the raw-to-overdone scale. Himself was afraid I pulled the roast too soon. So was I, but I told him if that were the case, we could finish off our slices in the microwave. ;)

CG - would you mind sharing with us what size/weight your roast was, details of the hi-low oven temps you used, the internal temp it registered when you pulled it, and how long you let it rest -if you recall all that info ?

Last edited:
Sure, Paul, no problem. I seasoned the roast (3 2/3 pounds) and had it sitting on the counter (not literally, it was in the roasting pan ;)) for about an hour before putting it into the oven which was pre-heated to 500 degrees F. (My new range has a top setting of 550! :w00t: ) Roasted it at 500 for 15 minutes, then turned the heat down to 325 (with roast still in the oven) and roasted for just shy of an hour - 15 minutes per pound. When I tested it with my old "instant" thermometer, the readings varied from 115 to 125, depending on where I checked. Put it back in for about 10 minutes, then rested it on the counter for about 15 minutes.

I was slow moving in the kitchen last night, so I did pop the uncut roast back into the turned-off oven for about ten minutes while I mashed potatoes and made gravy. I think I might have lucked out with that getting the roast to the perfect pink.

Thanks CG - helpful info -
and it tallies fairly closely with what I'd loosely 'guesstimated' beforehand -
I'm going to try those basics on doing a similar roast - reverse seared though.

Last edited:
You really don't need to sear it, Paul. Cooking it at 500 (I really was tempted to try 550, just because the oven could go there...) put a nice crust on it. If you do sear it, though, let us know how it turns out.

BTW, this was a cheap bottom round roast and it turned out fairly tender. I can't imagine how good it would be if you used a better cut of meal.

You really don't need to sear it, Paul. Cooking it at 500 (I really was tempted to try 550, just because the oven could go there...) put a nice crust on it. If you do sear it, though, let us know how it turns out.

BTW, this was a cheap bottom round roast and it turned out fairly tender. I can't imagine how good it would be if you used a better cut of meal.

CG, perhaps I should have clarified - I was simply thinking of starting it slow & low - perhaps @ 275 or 300, for whatever minutes per lb. it took to reach about 115, or 120 F, and then sear it to brown it, @ say 500 F for 10 minutes or more.
Round steak roast sounds like a good cut to try that with, and I see that yours turned out looking very nicely done - med- rare as I like it- so that's what I'm looking for to duplicate.

Does that mean they were burger shaped or that they were served on burger buns?
Flat burger shaped meatballs. No bun. Served on plate with sides. But they would be perfect shape for a round roll.

Last edited:
I'm going to try those basics on doing a similar roast - reverse seared though.
CG, perhaps I should have clarified - I was simply thinking of starting it slow & low - perhaps @ 275 or 300, for whatever minutes per lb. it took to reach about 115, or 120 F, and then sear it to brown it, @ say 500 F for 10 minutes or more.
That's not a reverse sear. The first part is right, but the sear is done in a pan, not the oven.

Recipes Make Magic said:
...I was simply thinking of starting it slow & low - perhaps @ 275 or 300, for whatever minutes per lb. it took to reach about 115, or 120 F, and then sear it to brown it, @ say 500 F for 10 minutes or more.
If you cook low, then high, be sure to remove the roast from the oven while you're waiting for the temperature to rise. Otherwise, you'll end up with too well done of meat.

Last edited:
Sure, Paul, no problem. I seasoned the roast (3 2/3 pounds) and had it sitting on the counter (not literally, it was in the roasting pan ;)) for about an hour before putting it into the oven which was pre-heated to 500 degrees F. (My new range has a top setting of 550! :w00t: ) Roasted it at 500 for 15 minutes, then turned the heat down to 325 (with roast still in the oven) and roasted for just shy of an hour - 15 minutes per pound. When I tested it with my old "instant" thermometer, the readings varied from 115 to 125, depending on where I checked. Put it back in for about 10 minutes, then rested it on the counter for about 15 minutes.

I was slow moving in the kitchen last night, so I did pop the uncut roast back into the turned-off oven for about ten minutes while I mashed potatoes and made gravy. I think I might have lucked out with that getting the roast to the perfect pink.
I also do my eye round roast this way. I use convection roast. Comes out beautiful, tender, juicy and pink every time.

eye_round_cooked_092009_P1040240.JPG

eye_round_120417_1_IMG_3493.jpg

sliced_eye_round_roast_P1070028.JPG

Last edited:
Just for information, many people do the reverse sear portion in a pan primarily because they wish to have the availability of the pan fond/residue with which to make a sauce for a steak, for example.

IMO, the reverse sear portion turns out better looking & tasting when done on the BBQ rather than in a pan, and the oven does a very good job as well.

Most of the time recently, I slow-low cook a steak in the oven, and finish with the searing on the BBQ.

If you wish to try the reverse sear method on the BBQ, simply light 1 burner on 1 side of the grill, leaving the other 2 or 3 burners off, and test adjust with a closed lid until the grill consistently maintains a temp of say 250 F.

On my BBQ, I turn the single lit burner to approx. medium - hallway between low & high, to quickly reach & maintain a consistent temp of 250 F.

Then place your steak(s) on the opposite side of the BBQ (over an off burner- farthest away from the lit burner).
When you've estimated the steak(s) are about halfway to your desired temp (of e.g. 120 F), turn them over.

Remove the steaks to rest (covered with foil) when the desired temp is reached,
and light all your burners to high, and reverse sear your steak(s) when the BBQ temp reaches over 500 F. Works great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom