Dinner Thursday 11th of August

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pacanis said:
I haven't seen that fish offered around here. Is it saltwater or fresh? I'm having a hard time Googling it other than it's a white fish.

I've posted about it here on DC a couple times. It's a catfish relative, grown in rivers in Vietnam. Apparently the French are nuts about it, and it is a recent addition to the States. Very inexpensive as compared to other fish. It's quite nice in the microwave. I also smoked it on my stovetop smoker, and it was very moist and tasty.

It comes in individually flash frozen packs in a bigger bag. It is a farmed fish, but from what I've read, pretty safe. Should be really good in fish tacos.

Sorry, probably TMI...

Last edited:
I've posted about it here on DC a couple times. It's a catfish relative, grown in rivers in Vietnam. Apparently the French are nuts about it, and it is a recent addition to the States. Very inexpensive as compared to other fish. It's quite nice in the microwave. I also smoked it on my stovetop smoker, and it was very moist and tasty.

It comes in individually flash frozen packs in a bigger bag. It is a farmed fish, but from what I've read, pretty safe. Should be really good in fish tacos.

Sorry, probably TMI...

Not TMI at all.
So where does it rank with tilapia? It looks to be thicker from the pics that I saw.

made pasties in my pie maker, plus sliced tomatoes,avocado,red onion sliced thin. homemade foccacia topped with sliced green onions plenty of evoo and salt. sliced peaches cooling in the fridge.
kades:)

pacanis said:
Not TMI at all.
So where does it rank with tilapia? It looks to be thicker from the pics that I saw.

Probably similar in taste. When I cooked it, it was quite moist. I found tilapia to be firmer, but I usually fry tilapia. You get nice, solid filets of swai. I can't handle fishy taste, and this was to my liking. Plus, it's all gone now!

It's kinda like tofu. Not much taste on its own, but picks up seasonings well. Not at all muddy, like our catfish sometimes can be.

Last edited:
Chipped beef on toast.
I haven't had SOS :LOL: :ermm: in a long time. My Mom used to make that all the time when I was growing up. It was one of my Dad's favorite meals.

Tonight, I'm fixing Mark mac-n-cheese with hotdogs. He seems to really like that meal. I'm not complaining, since it's so inexpensive to make. He always goes back for seconds.

Last edited:
Spaghetti with Emeril's Kicked Up sauce doctored with Italian sausage, garden peppers, and maybe some roasted tomatoes.

I had a ham and Swiss cheese sandwich on Rye. My avocado is starting to soften a little, but not ready yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Katie, I have yet to taste okra but have wanted to for some time. When our produce market gets some in next (they have it off and on), I will have to ask you for step by step instructions! :)

Beef diablo sounds great too!

No problem with the okra. Many folks don't care for it. Many think it's a bit "snotty," with the juice that runs from it. I've never had that experience. I find it a bit sticky but it's soooo yummy. I just finished canning 17 pints of it and will enjoy it this winter.

Katie H said:
No problem with the okra. Many folks don't care for it. Many think it's a bit "snotty," with the juice that runs from it. I've never had that experience. I find it a bit sticky but it's soooo yummy. I just finished canning 17 pints of it and will enjoy it this winter.

Never have understood some folks' aversion to okra. Love your description, Katie!

It sounds like a nice fish, Dawg. Thanks for filling me in.

I ended up cooking some gnocchi with my steak and garlic bread. I made a shalloty, mushroomy, shrimpy, cajuny kind of alfredoy sauce for it ;^)

Ham
Pirate corn
Salad
Chocolate pudding - Like mom used to make, with the skin on the top:LOL:
I LOVE the skin!! My Mom used to put pudding on dinner plates so there would be lots of skin. YUMMY

Breaded pork loin chops, smashed red potatoes, mushroom pork gravy and steamed fresh broccoli.

img_1035923_0_75c89f95b1c383a2532fbc577814d283.jpg

Nice pic, MsM!

I threw together a one pan Italian style dinner tonight. I browned some meatballs, added sliced zucchini, home grown tomatoes, cooked penne pasta, and lots of Italian spices. I covered it and simmered till zucchini was crisp tender and sprinkled each serving with with shredded parm, asaigo, fontina, and provolone cheese I found shredded together at Trader Joe's. That combo of cheese is sure worth the price.
Just delish!
img_1035945_0_7d01cdd72c8942b1d182543bb0fbdaec.jpg

Thank you Kayelle. I want some of your dinner. It looks so yummy.
Nice pic, MsM!

I threw together a one pan Italian style dinner tonight. I browned some meatballs, added sliced zucchini, home grown tomatoes, cooked penne pasta, and lots of Italian spices. I covered it and simmered till zucchini was crisp tender and sprinkled each serving with with shredded parm, asaigo, fontina, and provolone cheese I found shredded together at Trader Joe's. That combo of cheese is sure worth the price.
Just delish!
img_1035949_0_7d01cdd72c8942b1d182543bb0fbdaec.jpg

I threw together a one pan Italian style dinner tonight. I browned some meatballs, added sliced zucchini, home grown tomatoes, cooked penne pasta, and lots of Italian spices. I covered it and simmered till zucchini was crisp tender and sprinkled each serving with with shredded parm, asaigo, fontina, and provolone cheese I found shredded together at Trader Joe's. That combo of cheese is sure worth the price. Just delish!

That looks absolutely wonderful, Kayelle! I could almost taste it! :chef::pig:

Back
Top Bottom