Dinner Thursday, 12-27-2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
We'll be having smoked pork chops, paprika potato cubes, and sauteed zucchini...as soon as the boys show up. Meanwhile, I actually get to eat my salad before the main event!

What are you cooking up tonight?

Was just going to post a dinner thread! :LOL:

I'm still enjoying ways to use leftover ham. This afternoon's dinner was a breakfast burrito. Scrambled eggs, chopped ham, onions, Ortega fire roasted green chiles (canned...love those and always have them on hand), and shredded cheese....wrapped up in a warmed flour tortilla. Salsa verde for dipping. :yum:

Last edited:
I had steamed leaf spinach, mashed potatoes with roast beef strips on top covered with burgundy gravy.

Leftover ham here, too. I'm going to cube some ham, brown it with lots of garlic, and mix it with penne pasta and Alfredo sauce.

CD

Defrosted some pulled pork and had it with SBR sauce and a dill pickle.

Went looking around DC for ways to cook Cod and came across a link from Aunt Bea (where is she anyhow)?
Anyway, it was for baked cod topped with tartar sauce (made my own) and it was delicious. I did it in my individual casseroles with a bed of chopped cooked spinach, and the thickly slathered tartar sauce on the fish was topped with seasoned Panko bread crumbs baked at 375 in the toaster oven for 13 min. or so. Rice blend was on the side along with glorified salads.

Went looking around DC for ways to cook Cod and came across a link from Aunt Bea (where is she anyhow)?
Anyway, it was for baked cod topped with tartar sauce (made my own) and it was delicious. I did it in my individual casseroles with a bed of chopped cooked spinach, and the thickly slathered tartar sauce on the fish was topped with seasoned Panko bread crumbs baked at 375 in the toaster oven for 13 min. or so. Rice blend was on the side along with glorified salads.

Note to Andy -- fish like cod is great sous vide. I vacuum seal it with butter and fresh herbs, sous vide it and do a very quick sear to finish. Moist and flaky every time. The best part is that it is virtually impossible to overcook the fish when you cook it sous vide.

My ham and pasta was very good. I did cheat on the Alfredo sauce. I started with Newman's Own from a jar, which was very bland, and heavily doctored it.

CD

We finished our Feast of the Seven Fishes tonight with salmon in a creamy wine sauce with asparagus, peas, capers and dill over orrechiette. Toasted homemade bread on the side to sop up the sauce.
1227182007a.jpg

Note to Andy -- fish like cod is great sous vide. I vacuum seal it with butter and fresh herbs, sous vide it and do a very quick sear to finish. Moist and flaky every time. The best part is that it is virtually impossible to overcook the fish when you cook it sous vide...

Thanks. Just so you know, SO likes her fish well done. As she has said man y times, "You can't overcook my fish." But I will use it for my fish.

Thanks. Just so you know, SO likes her fish well done. As she has said man y times, "You can't overcook my fish." But I will use it for my fish.

Oh my, sorry to hear that. :ohmy:

Fish is tricky. Undercooked fish is not good, either, but overcooked fish is mush. That's what I grew up eating -- with a side of overcooked vegetables. :ermm:

That's the great thing about sous vide cooking of fish. You set your doneness temperature, and you can be way off on your timing and it is still done just right.

CD

Back
Top Bottom