Dinner Thursday 22nd November

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was just the two of us, so we had a scaled down version of our traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Must have been good..... DH is already snoozing, lol !
Menu:
Turkey with stuffing (found a 10lb bird to stuff)
Mashed red skin potatoes(mashed with butter and cream)
Turkey gravy (from drippings)
Broccoli, Cauliflower, carrot casserole.
Stuffed pumpkin ( stuffed with extra dressing and cheese
Sweet potatoes mashed and lightly sweetened with a small amount of brown sugar, and butter and a bit of brandy. .( I don't like overly sweet, sweet potatoes).
Homemade cranberry sauce
Portuguese buns (store bought)
Pumpkin pie with whipped cream(we will eat this a little later when everything else settles.

This is the stuffed pumpkin(just a small one)

image-3469907677.jpg

image-4094414053.jpg
You can see we didn't use the good china or fancy serveware lol!

Last edited:
:):)
It was just the two of us, so we had a scaled down version of our traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Must have been good..... DH is already snoozing, lol !
Menu:
Turkey with stuffing (found a 10lb bird to stuff)
Mashed red skin potatoes(mashed with butter and cream)
Turkey gravy (from drippings)
Broccoli, Cauliflower, carrot casserole.
Stuffed pumpkin ( stuffed with extra dressing and cheese
Sweet potatoes mashed and lightly sweetened with a small amount of brown sugar, and butter and a bit of brandy. .( I don't like overly sweet, sweet potatoes).
Homemade cranberry sauce
Portuguese buns (store bought)
Pumpkin pie with whipped cream(we will eat this a little later when everything else settles.

This is the stuffed pumpkin(just a small one)

View attachment 16395

View attachment 16396
You can see we didn't use the good china or fancy serveware lol!

sb, everything on your table and your menu makes me hungry and ready to eat again! nothing scaled down about this lavish spread! your stuffed pumpkin is making me crazy with desire right now! i'm even ready, from your description, to give another go at sweet potatoes, which are usually too sweet for my palate. lovely, beautifully orchestrated dinner, from beginning to end, sb! it must have taken you days to put this all together. your snoozing hubby is one lucky man....

Vitauta, you are too kind. I had to laugh at the thought that this would have taken "days" lol! I wasn't even sure that I was going to cook until yesterday! I only spent 4 1/2 hours getting this on the table. (Including making the pie) But thanks so much for your kind words. I wish we lived near each other, because I am sure that you are a guest I would love to have at my table. I hope your meal was all that you expected, I lament your being alone today, but your DC family was there with you in spirit . :)

Last edited:
I really liked these meatloaf stuffed potatoes.

Attachments

• Stuffed potatoes and sprouts.jpg
    Stuffed potatoes and sprouts.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 188
Vitauta, you are too kind. I had to laugh at the thought that this would have taken "days" lol! I wasn't even sure that I was going to cook until yesterday! I only spent 4 1/2 hours getting this on the table. (Including making the pie) But thanks so much for your kind words. I wish we lived near each other, because I am sure that you are a guest I would love to have at my table. I hope your meal was all that you expected, I lament your being alone today, but your DC family was there with you in spirit . :)

i'm still amazed that your thanksgiving meal took less than a day to execute, sb. and, be careful what you wish for--you just might find me on your door step one day, ready to "help" polish off your leftovers.:):pig:

my meal of peking duck (with hoisin sauce), pancakes and pork soup dumplings, was outstanding. the duck was expertly prepared and plated, everything, excepting maybe the tofu vegetable soup, combined to make a thoroughly delightful new dining experience for me. it was fun to read about everybody's thanksgivings at dc, and spending a rather lazy day watching the parade, and later a very lopsided football game, i allowed myself to graze intermittently through the day, and even uncorked a bottle of chardonnay, which i sipped at will, without a trace of guilt or remorse. i have been counting my blessings with an awareness like never before, this thanksgiving. i think i really get it, finally....

Pac that looks like a perfect way to use leftover meatloaf and make a new dish. I like the ideas that are often presented here!! And your brussel sprouts look perfectly cooked too, like how I wish mine would turn out.

We were 20 for dinner yesterday. If you are sitting down, I will tell you this-- we had real cranberries, not jellied canned kind and somebody varied "Mom's recipe as seen through the eyes of a (then) child" sweet potatoes. The old recipe seemingly was equal parts sweet potatoes, brown sugar and butter capped with marshmellows. Yesterday it was real sweet taters, baked in a little cinnamon, ginger butter sauce and just a hint of brown sugar. Not too sweet. I remember one year two sisters took a look at the dish when someone brought it and just Poured more brown sugar straight from the bag before the marshmallows got put on for it to go under the broiler. I am pretty sure Mom did Not do this, no matter how much the kids attempted to convince her to do so.

Thanks, Vit, Whiska.
Ol-Blue had some pretty good recipes for sure.

Thanks, Kylie. It was Ol-Blue's recipe. I posted the link somewhere in this thread.

I've always wanted to try this recipe and today is as good a day as any. I had some nice big spuds in the last bag I bought, too, which will work well.
Not that I've entirely ruled out wings :)

They look nice Pac, great idea :)

Thanks, Kylie. It was Ol-Blue's recipe. I posted the link somewhere in this thread.

Cheers Pac, I will have a look for it :)
Heres the post with the link (top quote).

They look great pac

Back
Top Bottom