Dinner Thursday 25th April 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
We are making some chicken burgers tonight!

We have crusty white rolls, mincing up some chicken breasts and having some fresh salad thrown in too :yum:

grazing tonight

have some leftover, really nice ww Carr's crackers from the pot luck last night...will do cheese (smoked provolone, and some swiss cheese) and crackers plus some sliced apples smeared with cajeta

We're going to a book-launch party tonight. The food & wine editor of a local magazine has written a cookbook/travel book called "Dishing Up Virginia!" and the launch party is at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA. We'll be up your way, Jabbur! <waving>

I took a food-writing class with him a couple of years ago. That was really fun - we went to restaurants and then practiced writing up reviews and recipes.

Local chefs will be preparing food from the book, or inspired by the book. Here's more info: Dishing Up Virginia! with Patrick Evans-Hylton, A food tasting and book launch event!

Something with pesto. Hubby gets to choose the pasta (Barilla was on sale a week or so again, so the pantry is full!). With, of course a salad.

I am on Day 3 not smoking. My acupuncturist has left so many teeny tiny holes all over my body I should be leaking like a sieve and may inadvertantly drownd if I take a bath. She also has me on a cleansing diet. Nevertheless I feel bloated from all this fruit juice and yogurt/ kefir smoothies I'[ve been making. I can't have regular snacks and no caffeine,. I'm probably wound up enough. . Besides, I'm not hungry. Also, I am starting to feel like I have a short fuse. Well, at least I sleep a lot. Which is just as well. THe less time I am awake, the less time I need to figure how to keep busy. The thing I find is today, I have a more acute sense of smell. I mostly smoked in my den, sometimes in the kitchen, not much. My house smells. Never knew this before. Never upstairs in the library. That's the only "safe room" in my house at present that doesn't have a tell-tale smell. I think the drapes are hitting the dry cleaners tomorrow.

Well, enough about me. It's not all about me, it's just I got ants in my pants and the crawlies if I would allow that to creep in sideways. Time to listen to that "relaxation cd" again. while the charcoal fires up. I can multi task, Deep breathe while I speed type.

Dinner is not too drastic. Broccoli with lemon, Grilled chicken ( making extra for manana too) and brown rice. It's what I have on hand, and on the approved list and I like these things and it's a nice day out for grilling.

Something with pesto. Hubby gets to choose the pasta (Barilla was on sale a week or so again, so the pantry is full!). With, of course a salad.

Yeah Claire. Great Idea Today for Pesto is wfd tommorry. I still have some home-made in the freezer, along with leftover chicken, a can-do salad , with pasta and some chopped fresh veggies and I can throw in an extra pieces broccoli when I make tonight's dinner. I was thinking something in the neighborhood of chicken taco/ burritos, which I make way too often. I can have unleavened /no yeast starches, pasta ok, and the list I was given said no broken / chopped nuts. Only whole fresh nuts. Can't figure this part out. What's the difference. I usually make pesto with walnuts or raw almonds, they started out Whole before they met the whisk-o-lator, got put in bags straight to the freezer. Two- three feet from freezer to counter to table vs how many thousand miles did that fresh pineapple travel to reach its destination here. ??" It also doesn't want me to have cheese right now either, so I will ask my accupuncture lady tommorow morning if this is ok or no. I am being pretty rigid RIght now about following this diet plan. I can forego adding extra parmesan. O and not pickled things, so no Med/ greek olives. sheesh. Still, there is a long list of " approved" foods and it's not so long a list of foods to avoid. I can do this. I am hopeful.

You, and this group are so helpful in ways you don;t even know. Ha.

City chicken, mashed potatoes and I'm hoping I have some frozen corn.

Kind of a quick throw-together dinner tonight. Grilled tuna steak with wasabi mayo and a pasta salad.

img_1262163_0_a55e3c3d267c1d1ffa347a21b666c328.jpg

Jewish deli food. Yay! Brought half my reuben home - will eat for brunch after I have a check-up blood draw. The small price of getting older. But "getting older" beats the alternative. :)

Looks like you're on a chicken kick, Tom. What with the grilled drumsticks the other night :yum:

I too had "chicken". City chicken (pork and beef skewers).

Attachments

• city chicken.jpg
    city chicken.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 162
i've always wondered where that term came from, pac.

city chicken. it almost sounds like a joke. you know, that it used to meow or squeak, but it tastes like chicken.

looks good, nonetheless. nice mashed taters and pool o' gravy.. :yum:

I don't know. Maybe because it's breaded and fried/baked like chicken? Like in chicken fried steak? Or because it's on a stick so you can eat it like a drumstick?
Or you could be onto something...

I did my last service call, before Stone Crab season ends, to the Ochopee Fire Dept. yesterday. The Dept happens to be in Florida City. So I stopped at Grimm's Stone Crab and picked up some claws. We had the claws and I pan seared a couple of 4 oz tuna steaklets (is that a word?).

I don't know. Maybe because it's breaded and fried/baked like chicken? Like in chicken fried steak? Or because it's on a stick so you can eat it like a drumstick?
Or you could be onto something...

DH loves city chicken. I had never heard of it, so looked it up. During the Depression, cities started banning the raising of chickens, so they cost more. Pork and beef were cheap, so they made pretend drumsticks with them and called it city chicken.

I have never seen prepared city chicken in a store, but my in-laws say it used to be available in grocery stores in the Detroit area, where we're from. DH said the skewers I used were too big lol. Next time I made them, I left the pork chops whole. It's much, MUCH easier to make that way.

Back
Top Bottom