"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 AM   #71
Executive Chef

Out for dinner again tonight. Friends called and wanted to go for Mexican, it was their 43rd wedding anniversary. We had a cocktail before we went to the restaurant, I made fresh lime Margharita's !

Old 07-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #72
Master Chef

Bunny, I have limes on the grocery list to make those margaritas! Himself whipped up a couple for each of us a few weeks back and they were so good! Hot weather returns Saturday, and so will our beach drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Yesterday's chops were so big and fully stuffed that Himself and I were too after splitting only one of them. Leftovers! I'll use up broccoli or, maybe, make fried cabbage and noodles (shh, don't tell Himself in case I end up not making them~he loves that). Then again, we'll be running errands later so maybe we'll stop somewhere.
Leftovers never happened because the shopping never happened. Will someone PLEASE keep me out of the kitchen when I'm bored? I ended up making huge spinach salads (spinach, crisp bacon, sliced raw mushrooms, hard-cooked eggs, shredded mozz cheese and grape tomatoes) and French onion soup - with Gruyere cheese on top the toasted bread. Too full to move on to anything else so the turkey burgers will get cooked tomorrow.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #73
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Well, my caramelized Vidalia onion and sautéed crimini mushroom pizza never happened. Instead, we had a caramelized Vidalia onion and sautéed crimini mushroom flatbread.

"What's the difference?" You ask. The idiot who was responsible making the pizza realized too late that he had no pizza sauce so he went ahead and made dinner without sauce. Hence, flatbread, not pizza.
Hmm, if you had just thrown enough oil on the crust you could call it a "white pizza"...although for the life of me I have NO idea why they call those "white". The ones I have had used a ricotta-based topping before the veggies and meat.

Looks like you had enough cheese on that pizza so I bet you never missed no sauce. Still looks yummy.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
...I guess I could really start it anytime, as I do our menus 3 weekly...we know what we are having 3 weeks in advance
Three WEEKS Kylie? I make my menu up as I go through the grocery list, figuring on 4-5 fresh-made meals. Sometimes I don't buy for more than 1-2 entrees because some weeks I want to use up things I have in the freezer. There is no way I could stick to a 3-week menu since I have to shop at least once a week for fresh veggies and fruit. Heck, we must go thru three or four heads or stalks (romaine) of lettuce plus a tub of baby spinach and/or arugula every week. I make a HUGE salad almost every night during pleasant weather.

You are one organized woman. I'm impressed!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you CG

I am a little over the top organised, but it is all good
Old 07-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
No, not really.
One thing we've come to realize is that whenever someone manages to beat you to starting the dinner thread, which usually means starting it a day earlier than 99% of us eat, you always follow up by starting it even earlier. Like a couple days ago.
Word
Does it really matter
Old 07-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Out for dinner again tonight. Friends called and wanted to go for Mexican, it was their 43rd wedding anniversary. We had a cocktail before we went to the restaurant, I made fresh lime Margharita's !
Have a lovely night out SB, Mexican sounds lovely
Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ha! The missing ingredient was a bit of mayo! Thanks Pac!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You get small English cukes? Ours are often a foot long or longer. Never saw an English cuke less than 10" long.
Sometimes they are labeled mini cucumbers and sometimes English. I'm guessing then that they aren't a true English cucumber.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Sometimes they are labeled mini cucumbers and sometimes English. I'm guessing then that they aren't a true English cucumber.
Maybe they are a dwarf variety? I wish we had dwarf English cukes here. Stirling doesn't like cucumber and doesn't eat it. Often when I buy an English cuke, half or more of it goes bad. They ain't cheap, especially the organic ones.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

I never have that problem of them going bad. I can eat them straight up, peeled or not. I love cucumbers.

Tags
dinner