Dinner Thursday 25th July 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corn on the cob is a bit "special" here.

Confession time. I have a "corn scraper". A device that is supposed to scrape the corn off the cob.

Is that bad? (I haven't ever used it.) I guess I live in hope! :ROFLMAO:

A corn scraper? Post a pic or link to one.
I put a small drinking glass in a bowl, stand the ear of corn on its base and shave the corn off with a kitchen knife.
Two ways to skin an ear ;)

No, that is brilliant Katy...Jamie and Gordon scrape it off the cob for certain recipes, nice and fresh, usually char grilled...better than buying corn in a can anyday :)

So it's REALLY bad that I could open a tiny can of "salad corn" and just eat it with a spoon? (I am not even kidding Kylie - I love the stuff!) :blush:

There seems to be lots of different varieties of corn scrappers on google, I didnt even know they existed

So it's REALLY bad that I could open a tiny can of "salad corn" and just eat it with a spoon? (I am not even kidding Kylie - I love the stuff!) :blush:

No, nothing wrong with it...I just really like the taste of char grilled corn on the cob :yum:

Last edited:
I just happened to sit down after slicing the corn off the three ears I grilled two nights ago :)
And was that you who asked me to report back about keeping the cooked ears in the husk in the refrigerator? CG maybe? The corn tasted just fine. Not "husky" at all. nummm :yum:

Not I pac, but you mentioned the "husky" taste to me in a post to me. Your fault. :LOL: I suggested cutting the kernels off and using them with black beans, tomato, etc. But maybe not to you...:huh:

Now, we're talking! :D

(Where is CG anyway??)

So, I checked the "corn cobs" section in Sainsburys... (it is about 1ft x .5ft) In it, there were two types of whole corn - ones that have been "butchered" and ones that have not. The upshot is that two unshucked corn cobs, plastic-wrapped in a Styrofoam tray, are £1.99 - let's call it £1 each. That's around $1.50 each.

How does that compare with US prices?

NB: These were British corn cobs

Finally here Katy. We ran errands. Our last stop was a local craft brewery that opened in the next town over a couple months back. Got us a growler (64 ounces) to take home. I'm pretty relaxed now :closedeye

Grocery store corn by us has been going for about 25-40 cents per ear, pick your own from the pile. They've been bringing it in from New Jersey, a couple states southwest of us, and really pretty decent for the price. The local farmstand grows a variety called mirai (me-rye) that goes for about 80 or 85 cents an ear. IMO it's not really any better than the butter and sugar variety, which is another one they have and the most popular around here. It's usually 55 cents an ear, give or take a nickle. Kinda makes you want to move stateside for corn season? I recommend OH corn. The farmer we bought it from when we lived there sells it for about 55 cents and ear and is picking it now. Well, during the daytime "now". ;) Best corn we have ever had, and they bring it in from the field all day long. Nothing like it warm from the fields!

Sometimes I put stuff on the side to add to individual salads, but I don't often remember there is 3/4 of a cuke in the fridge.

I keep produce bags from the grocery store and put all my cut veggies in one, so when I pull it out, they all come out. This also reminds me every day of what I have that needs to be used, so I take that into consideration when I'm making dinner plans.

Last edited:
Now, we're talking! :D

(Where is CG anyway??)

So, I checked the "corn cobs" section in Sainsburys... (it is about 1ft x .5ft) In it, there were two types of whole corn - ones that have been "butchered" and ones that have not. The upshot is that two unshucked corn cobs, plastic-wrapped in a Styrofoam tray, are £1.99 - let's call it £1 each. That's around $1.50 each.

How does that compare with US prices?

NB: These were British corn cobs

At the farmer's market, they were selling North Carolina corn for 4 for $1.

A corn scraper? Post a pic or link to one.
I put a small drinking glass in a bowl, stand the ear of corn on its base and shave the corn off with a kitchen knife.
Two ways to skin an ear ;)

I do pretty much the same, into a wide, shallow bowl, no glass necessary. If you keep your chef's knife good and sharp, it should be no problem to slice the kernels right off.

I keep produce bags from the grocery store and put all my cut veggies in one, so when I pull it out, they all come out. This also reminds me every day of what I have that needs to be used, so I take that into consideration when I'm making dinner plans.
Good idea. I will try to remember to do this. BTW, I just bought a single Lebanese cucumber to see what it is like.

Back
Top Bottom