Dinner Thursday 25th July 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good to me, Rock!

Jabbur, I know just what you mean, we had Maryland crab boil a while back with Baby Bro and wifey, dang, what a pain to pick through, so good though!

We have leftover grilled ribeye and cukes in sour cream sauce, so that.

I feel you were cut off mid-flow here DL?

Also, regarding "cukes" (cucumbers I assume). Are they usually de-seeded on your side of the pond? I never de-seed mine - there doesn't seem to be any need. But I am wondering if we have different varieties of cucumber? I saw a US show not so long ago where they referred to "English cucumbers".

Chicken breasts wrapped in smoked bacon, then cooked in the crock-pot with roasted garlic cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Will serve it with rice and sauteed yellow squash (from our container garden), iced tea and butterscotch pudding with Heath bits sprinkled over.

Also, regarding "cukes" (cucumbers I assume). Are they usually de-seeded on your side of the pond? I never de-seed mine - there doesn't seem to be any need. But I am wondering if we have different varieties of cucumber? I saw a US show not so long ago where they referred to "English cucumbers".

I grow my own, "Straight 8", in my little raised bed garden patch. I don't take out the seeds. These were the first I got so far this year! I made Grandma's recipe (sorta) of thinly mandolin sliced cukes (sprinkle with salt and leave in a baggie, rinse the heck out of them in a few hours) with a dressing of sour cream, vinegar, salt, pepper, and a bit of sugar.

English cukes are virtually seedless, I don't grow those, but they're available year-round here, usually wrapped in cellophane.

Well, that's..... pretty wide open there Pac! :LOL:

What types of pasta do you have to hand?

Quite a few boxed varieties, but I'm leaning towards the "fresh" gnocchi... or the spaghetti... or maybe the rigatoni or... :huh:
Lots of time to decide, Katy.

I grow my own, "Straight 8", in my little raised bed garden patch. I don't take out the seeds. These were the first I got so far this year! I made Grandma's recipe (sorta) of thinly mandolin sliced cukes (sprinkle with salt and leave in a baggie, rinse the heck out of them in a few hours) with a dressing of sour cream, vinegar, salt, pepper, and a bit of sugar.

English cukes are virtually seedless, I don't grow those, but they're available year-round here, usually wrapped in cellophane.

You are lucky! I simply cannot grow anything at all. Today I gave up on my latest attempt to grow Basil. Two plants got to about 10cm, another three never got past 1cm! They all died. (I swear I only have to look at any plant and it gives up the will to live!) :cry:

You are lucky! I simply cannot grow anything at all. Today I gave up on my latest attempt to grow Basil. Two plants got to about 10cm, another three never got past 1cm! They all died. (I swear I only have to look at any plant and it gives up the will to live!) :cry:

:LOL: my 2 yo basil plant that's been cannibalized. I have more in the garden from seed.

image-3089164970.jpg

Last edited:

This is what the regular, North American style cucumber looks like:

cucumbers.jpg

And this is what we call "English cucumber" (it's the kind they have in Denmark too):

eos07990_658w.jpg

The skins on the N.A. style are thicker and tougher too.

I'm trying to clean out the fridge before we leave on vacation tomorrow. So I'm making (half a) zucchini and (half a) summer squash two ways: chopped in leftover spicy tomato sauce, and sauteed with herbs, garlic and olive oil. The tomato sauce will be served over spaghetti, maybe with some chopped fresh mozzarella on top, and garlic bread. I'll finish the fresh mozz with breakfast tomorrow.

This is what the regular, North American style cucumber looks like:

cucumbers.jpg

And this is what we call "English cucumber" (it's the kind they have in Denmark too):

eos07990_658w.jpg

The skins on the N.A. style are thicker and tougher too.

Yeah, I recognise the "English" ones. The NA ones look almost like they need to be skinned too! Though the seeds don't look too different.

Well, my caramelized Vidalia onion and sautéed crimini mushroom pizza never happened. Instead, we had a caramelized Vidalia onion and sautéed crimini mushroom flatbread.

"What's the difference?" You ask. The idiot who was responsible making the pizza realized too late that he had no pizza sauce so he went ahead and made dinner without sauce. Hence, flatbread, not pizza.

Attachments

• DSC03991.jpg
    DSC03991.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 142
Well, my caramelized Vidalia onion and sautéed crimini mushroom pizza never happened. Instead, we had a caramelized Vidalia onion and sautéed crimini mushroom flatbread.

"What's the difference?" You ask. The idiot who was responsible making the pizza realized too late that he had no pizza sauce so he went ahead and made dinner without sauce. Hence, flatbread, not pizza.

Well, it still looks mighty fine! :yum: And more to the point, how did it taste?

About time for Kylie to be starting tomorrow's dinner thread :ROFLMAO:
8:18 PM right now. I'm a late eater. I decided on the spagetz.

:LOL: The time zones are a challenge aren't they? I'm in the middle of course. (1.20am here)

So come on then, tell me what sauce you put with your spaghetti! :D

And I'm the idiot that was going to ask :wacko:
Gorgeous looking pizza... flatbread or focaccia or whatever it is.
All I know is I wish I had some :yum:
Beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom