Dinner Thursday 25th July 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I recognise the "English" ones. The NA ones look almost like they need to be skinned too! Though the seeds don't look too different.
The seeds on the NA ones are a bit bigger and harder. I eat them, lots of people don't like them. I eat the skins, if they haven't been waxed, but a lot of people find them hard to digest. But, I usually buy the "English" ones.

:LOL: The time zones are a challenge aren't they? I'm in the middle of course. (1.20am here)

So come on then, tell me what sauce you put with your spaghetti! :D

Apparently for some ;)

Red sauce made from mushrooms, Vidalia onions, lots of fresh garlic, red pepper flakes, Kalamatta olives, and Canadian bacon strips. Darn near vegetarian :ermm:

The seeds on the NA ones are a bit bigger and harder. I eat them, lots of people don't like them. I eat the skins, if they haven't been waxed, but a lot of people find them hard to digest. But, I usually buy the "English" ones.

I've only ever seen the "English" ones available here.... and to be fair... they seem like the better option in this instance!

A lot of people find the seeds make them burp. I think we have a seedless variety now.
The English cukes I buy are only about 7" long and 1" in diameter. I usually use them for something special, like the spicy Chinese cucumbers I made the other night. But I love big cukes with onions in sour cream :yum:

Apparently for some ;)

Red sauce made from mushrooms, Vidalia onions, lots of fresh garlic, red pepper flakes, Kalamatta olives, and Canadian bacon strips. Darn near vegetarian :ermm:

Olives eh? Not everyone's cup of tea. But I like them in moderation (and not too bitter.)

How did your sauce get "red"? Were there any tomatoes involved??

Olives eh? Not everyone's cup of tea. But I like them in moderation (and not too bitter.)

How did your sauce get "red"? Were there any tomatoes involved??

Yes. A can of crushed tomatoes.
Red sauce, red gravy, spaghetti sauce... it's an American thing I guess, but they mean basically the same thing. Tomato based. I think we even had a thread on it not too long ago.

A lot of people find the seeds make them burp. I think we have a seedless variety now.
The English cukes I buy are only about 7" long and 1" in diameter. I usually use them for something special, like the spicy Chinese cucumbers I made the other night. But I love big cukes with onions in sour cream :yum:

7"? :ohmy: A standard cuke in any supermarket would be almost double that (but still only about 1.5" diameter and still minus any tough skin or indigestible seeds.) I usually just buy a half (they always sell half cucumbers as well as whole ones).

Recipe for the onions and sour cream there Pac??

This is what the regular, North American style cucumber looks like:

cucumbers.jpg

And this is what we call "English cucumber" (it's the kind they have in Denmark too):

eos07990_658w.jpg

The skins on the N.A. style are thicker and tougher too.

The top one we call a lebanese cucumber and the bottom one we call a continental cucumber

7"? :ohmy: A standard cuke in any supermarket would be almost double that (but still only about 1.5" diameter and still minus any tough skin or indigestible seeds.) I usually just buy a half (they always sell half cucumbers as well as whole ones).

Recipe for the onions and sour cream there Pac??

Scroll up a bit on this thread, Katy, just add onions to my recipe. I happened to be out of onions.

Last edited:
About time for Kylie to be starting tomorrow's dinner thread :ROFLMAO:
8:18 PM right now. I'm a late eater. I decided on the spagetz.

Bit early yet!

Katy, I usually start the dinner thread a couple of hours before we actually have dinner, on the odd occasion I start it a few hours before...sometimes, I even have been known to start it "after" we have eaten LOL

I guess I could really start it anytime, as I do our menus 3 weekly...we know what we are having 3 weeks in advance :)

Bit early yet!

Katy, I usually start the dinner thread a couple of hours before we actually have dinner, on the odd occasion I start it a few hours before...sometimes, I even have been known to start it "after" we have eaten LOL

I guess I could really start it anytime, as I do our menus 3 weekly...we know what we are having 3 weeks in advance :)

3 weeks in advance?? I only ever plan my Sunday menu - about 3 - 7 days in advance. Other than that, I wing it most days!

3 weeks in advance?? I only ever plan my Sunday menu - about 3 - 7 days in advance. Other than that, I wing it most days!

Yeah, I am extremely organised, I like things to be planned out, makes it very easy to grocery shop and also helps with impulse buying, as in, it stops me :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I am extremely organised, I like things to be planned out, makes it very easy to grocery shop and also helps with impulse buying, as in, it stops me :ROFLMAO:

The only thing I do to stop "impulse buying" is make sure I eat before I go! :LOL:

Okay, I know I have other threads to answer, but I really need to go to bed! I'll be back "later" today so see your Friday post! ;)

Goodnight!

Katy x

The only thing I do to stop "impulse buying" is make sure I eat before I go! :LOL:

Okay, I know I have other threads to answer, but I really need to go to bed! I'll be back "later" today so see your Friday post! ;)

Goodnight!

Katy x

Have a lovely sleep Katy, talk soon xxx

Back
Top Bottom