Dinner Thursday 25th July 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
7"? :ohmy: A standard cuke in any supermarket would be almost double that (but still only about 1.5" diameter and still minus any tough skin or indigestible seeds.) I usually just buy a half (they always sell half cucumbers as well as whole ones).

Recipe for the onions and sour cream there Pac??

Yeah, the English cucumbers are pretty small. Like pickle size but longer and skinnier.

The cucumber salad I make (mom's recipe) is cucumber slices, onion, salt & pepper and half sour cream/half mayonnaise.

Bit early yet!

No, not really.
One thing we've come to realize is that whenever someone manages to beat you to starting the dinner thread, which usually means starting it a day earlier than 99% of us eat, you always follow up by starting it even earlier. Like a couple days ago.
Word :cool:

Yeah, the English cucumbers are pretty small. Like pickle size but longer and skinnier.

The cucumber salad I make (mom's recipe) is cucumber slices, onion, salt & pepper and half sour cream/half mayonnaise.

Ha! The missing ingredient was a bit of mayo! Thanks Pac!

The small ones Taxy?
The Lebanese cukes we get here are about 6-7 inches long, about an inch in diameter and a bit wrinkly, like the picture in post 31 of the whole English cuke. I have never eaten one of those, so I don't know what the inside looks like.

You get small English cukes? Ours are often a foot long or longer. Never saw an English cuke less than 10" long.

I'm suddenly reminded of my first job in Copenhagen. I went to the market during my lunch break with another woman and we bought some cucumbers. We ate the cukes in the office. There were many ribald comments. :ohmy: :LOL:

You get small English cukes? Ours are often a foot long or longer. Never saw an English cuke less than 10" long.

I'm suddenly reminded of my first job in Copenhagen. I went to the market during my lunch break with another woman and we bought some cucumbers. We ate the cukes in the office. There were many ribald comments. :ohmy: :LOL:

:LOL: I can imagine!

Our imported English cukes here are at least a foot long! I'm quite happy with the ones I grow, what they lack in length, they make up for in girth. :LOL: Just make sure you rub off the spines with a rag or paper towel.

Last edited:
Ahhh all of you talking about cucumbers. I love the lemon cucumbers, and armenian ones best they are not hard on the tummy. Our dinner tonight was meat loaf sandwiches, on wheat bread, and nice cold bowls of nectarines, sliced tomatoes, fried Italian sweet cubanelle peppers, then ice cream cones.
kades

Tonight was a giant salad with chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, black olives, cucumber, sweet onion, red bell pepper, and feta cheese, tossed with a vinaigrette. Whole wheat pita on the side.

Out for dinner again tonight. Friends called and wanted to go for Mexican, it was their 43rd wedding anniversary. We had a cocktail before we went to the restaurant, I made fresh lime Margharita's !

Bunny, I have limes on the grocery list to make those margaritas! Himself whipped up a couple for each of us a few weeks back and they were so good! Hot weather returns Saturday, and so will our beach drinks. ;)

Yesterday's chops were so big and fully stuffed that Himself and I were too after splitting only one of them. Leftovers! I'll use up broccoli or, maybe, make fried cabbage and noodles (shh, don't tell Himself in case I end up not making them~he loves that). Then again, we'll be running errands later so maybe we'll stop somewhere.

Leftovers never happened because the shopping never happened. Will someone PLEASE keep me out of the kitchen when I'm bored? I ended up making huge spinach salads (spinach, crisp bacon, sliced raw mushrooms, hard-cooked eggs, shredded mozz cheese and grape tomatoes) and French onion soup - with Gruyere cheese on top the toasted bread. Too full to move on to anything else so the turkey burgers will get cooked tomorrow.

Well, my caramelized Vidalia onion and sautéed crimini mushroom pizza never happened. Instead, we had a caramelized Vidalia onion and sautéed crimini mushroom flatbread.

"What's the difference?" You ask. The idiot who was responsible making the pizza realized too late that he had no pizza sauce so he went ahead and made dinner without sauce. Hence, flatbread, not pizza.

Hmm, if you had just thrown enough oil on the crust you could call it a "white pizza"...although for the life of me I have NO idea why they call those "white". The ones I have had used a ricotta-based topping before the veggies and meat.

Looks like you had enough cheese on that pizza so I bet you never missed no sauce. ;) Still looks yummy.

...I guess I could really start it anytime, as I do our menus 3 weekly...we know what we are having 3 weeks in advance :)

Three WEEKS Kylie? :ermm: I make my menu up as I go through the grocery list, figuring on 4-5 fresh-made meals. Sometimes I don't buy for more than 1-2 entrees because some weeks I want to use up things I have in the freezer. There is no way I could stick to a 3-week menu since I have to shop at least once a week for fresh veggies and fruit. Heck, we must go thru three or four heads or stalks (romaine) of lettuce plus a tub of baby spinach and/or arugula every week. I make a HUGE salad almost every night during pleasant weather.

You are one organized woman. I'm impressed!

No, not really.
One thing we've come to realize is that whenever someone manages to beat you to starting the dinner thread, which usually means starting it a day earlier than 99% of us eat, you always follow up by starting it even earlier. Like a couple days ago.
Word :cool:

Does it really matter :rolleyes:

Out for dinner again tonight. Friends called and wanted to go for Mexican, it was their 43rd wedding anniversary. We had a cocktail before we went to the restaurant, I made fresh lime Margharita's !

Have a lovely night out SB, Mexican sounds lovely :yum:

Sometimes they are labeled mini cucumbers and sometimes English. I'm guessing then that they aren't a true English cucumber.
Maybe they are a dwarf variety? I wish we had dwarf English cukes here. Stirling doesn't like cucumber and doesn't eat it. Often when I buy an English cuke, half or more of it goes bad. :( They ain't cheap, especially the organic ones.

I never have that problem of them going bad. I can eat them straight up, peeled or not. I love cucumbers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom