Dinner Thursday 27th June 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cook's Night Off

Himself took me out for my birthday! We were going to head to the shore in CT, but the weather was cool and rainy. Not shore weather when I know we'll be back into the 80s! While changing my mind I was trying to decide where to eat. You see, since I've been cooking more challenging foods and unique things over the past 10 years or so (thanks, in no small part, to DC) I've become a bit of a food snob. More often than not I walk out of a restaurant thinking "Hmm, I could have made something better than that, and for far less money". Kinda ruined things for myself, huh? :ermm: Anyway, the one place I know that is always reliable, always a great experience, and always treats us well is a nice Irish pub run by Brendan and Claire. I had an Apple & Spice Turkey Schnitzel (thought of Kylie and her different schnitzels!) that was encrusted with an almond/oatmeal/panko (and a "hint of nutmeg") crumb coating then dressed with a sauce of Magner's cider/grilled fresh peaches/dried cranberries. Veggies and Basmati rice as sides. It was :yum: :yum: ! I also had dessert on the house - their luscious bread pudding with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Brought half my dinner home - but dessert was gone!

We're making a low-country boil with shrimp, clams, potatoes, smoked sausage and corn, along with a green salad.

Love Lowcountry cooking! Have yet to get to N'awlins' but we've been to Charleston SC a couple of times. Still looking for a shrimp and grits recipe that sounds like what I had at Poogan's Porch, but it's been a while and I'm forgetting the taste. :ermm:

I'm going to make enchiladas. Depending on how the afternoon goes we will see about red rice, beans, and guacamole. For desert I'm going to try a apricot cake for desert that I saw Jaques Pepin do with plums. This site is fun!

Welcome Hank H! Glad you find us to be fun. We do enjoy playing here at the DC playground. Stick around and join us often. Oh, and could you please pass a slice of that cake? Sounds yummy.

This was very good and worked well with apricots, rather than plums.

Quick Almond and Plum Cake

almond-plum-cake560.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom