"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Dinner Thursday 28th March 2013

Tonight Steve made a lovely Chicken Stroganoff and flatbreads....lovely

Old 03-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
Master Chef

Hubby is coming home tonight. I'll be making cocktail pork sausages with mash and brown onion gravy and some beets on the side. His flight is coming in pretty late so it must be something that can be nuked when he gets home.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
Head Chef

My husband is home tonight too. :)

I was in the nearest town with a fishmonger earlier and stopped to pick up some oysters. They had two different types, so I got six of each to compare tastes. The smaller half dozen should taste more 'mineral-y'. I have a bottle of a very nice prosecco in the fridge (it will be our first alcohol since new year, we normally wait till the very end of march, but today is a special occasion) and I received a fruit basket yesterday, so we will have some of that fruit. If I feel enthusiastic later I might make a zabaglione or something to dollop on the prepared fruit, but I think it's unlikely.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
My husband is home tonight too. :)

I was in the nearest town with a fishmonger earlier and stopped to pick up some oysters. They had two different types, so I got six of each to compare tastes. The smaller half dozen should taste more 'mineral-y'. I have a bottle of a very nice prosecco in the fridge (it will be our first alcohol since new year, we normally wait till the very end of march, but today is a special occasion) and I received a fruit basket yesterday, so we will have some of that fruit. If I feel enthusiastic later I might make a zabaglione or something to dollop on the prepared fruit, but I think it's unlikely.
Kinda makes my sausages and mash sound boring Having said that, my husband would never eat fresh oysters or fruit on purpose

Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Kinda makes my sausages and mash sound boring Having said that, my husband would never eat fresh oysters or fruit on purpose
Sausage and mash sounds delicious, more appropriate for our weather here today than oysters tbh. (It hit 3 celcius today and our central heating isn't working)

My dh loves fresh fruit, raw veg, all sorts of fish.....all the things some people complain about their partners not eating. Also, of the two of us he has the more adventurous palate really.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
Sausage and mash sounds delicious, more appropriate for our weather here today than oysters tbh. (It hit 3 celcius today and our central heating isn't working)

My dh loves fresh fruit, raw veg, all sorts of fish.....all the things some people complain about their partners not eating. Also, of the two of us he has the more adventurous palate really.
Thanks
I would much rather eat the oysters and fresh fruit myself
My hubby eats most things I make, just won't eat any shellfish but prawns or any organ meat. I don't mind what he eats, it's his body.
I love all of the above!

I would normally make 2 meals if he doesn't eat something I want but that's not possible tonight.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Cook

Braised short ribs w/mushrooms and pancetta over tossed couscous w/pine nuts

(Don't know why pics are upside down)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	17521  
Old 03-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Wine Guy

I'm so excited today. For those who don't know, I took a bad fall on the ice back in February and ended up fracturing my ankle in several places. This was followed by surgery to fasten everything back together and several weeks of very limited mobility. Since then, my poor wife - who doesn't cook much - has been doing her best to keep us nourished. I've cooked a few meals from the confines of a wheelchair, but for the most part it's been a lot of takeout and restaurant food.

So I went to the doctor this morning for a follow-up x-ray and assessment. I honestly thought he would tell me it would be another month before I could put any weight on the ankle. Imagine my surprise when he said everything looks good and "Let's start you on physical therapy right away and get you walking again!" I literally went from his office over to the PT's to start rehab. PT couldn't have gone better. She said my range of motion was "excellent" and even had me stand on one leg (yes, the bad one ) to prove to me, Doubting Thomas, that it would hold my full weight.

While things aren't 100%, I feel like I now have a little of my life back again. So tonight I will celebrate by COOKING. I have a pork loin in the fridge, a bag of potatoes, and some veggies. I'll see what I can come up with (and hopefully without overdoing it).
Old 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

That's great news Steve. I just went through similar experience with rotator cuff surgery and rehab.

Word of advice (which you probably don't need). Don't skimp on the PT. Take as much as they will allow. These folks are amazing and will make you better. They know stuff about you that you can't imagine.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
Wine Guy

Good advice... thanks, Andy!

Tags
dinner