Dinner Thursday, 3-5-2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Cleaning out the greens today, preparing for grocery shopping tomorrow. We'll have a big salad, followed by a smothered baked potato. Topping it with a bit of ham, lots of steamed broccoli, and melty cheese - probably mozz.

What is your Date Plate tonight?

I did a big load of onions in the crockpot last night. I packaged up most of them, but left the last bit in the crockpot, stirred in a couple tbsps of tomato paste, poured in some beef stock and tossed some short ribs in there. I think I'll serve with some tagliatelle and a big salad. Last night we were very heavy on the veggies so we'll protein/carb load tonight!

Date plate is dining solo. DxW does not eat pork. Except sausage, her favorite, or bacon or ham. But not actual piggy. That's ok, all the more for moi. Re-heating slices of last night's pork roast, mashed taters and gravy. Fresh tossed salad.

I'm planning on barbecue crock pot short ribs of beef. Please read:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...-ribs-of-beef-question-92461.html#post1411972

I'm turning a crock pot recipe into a slow cooked casserole (partly because a crock pot isn't that suitable for one serving) and I'd like opinions on whether I'm doing it right. My only real question, I've assumed 4 hours at 200F in a convection is equivalent to a crock pot on high for the same time. It's 3 hours until serving time! :)

I have some home made mashed potatoes to serve with, probably serve generic country gravy mix over the mashers, and I have a variety of frozen vegetables to pick from, or I can saute some carrot-lets. (You know, the baby carrot packages.)

Here's my baby carrot recipe. Saute some garlic in butter while you are nuking the carrots, drain them and toss into the garlic butter, then sprinkle with sugar. Kid you not the sugar offsets the garlic. I prefer Thai sugar, but would use brown second choice, or any sugar third.

Probably a garden salad with.

Greg, you can stir in a tiny spoonful of molasses in with the carrots. Or honey. I have been cooking carrots it seems, often, this winter. Mostly I glaze them to finish along with something such as ginger, garlic, thyme, whatever herb is handy along with a little brown sugar or raw sugar. Yesterday I made plain buttered carrots, since I thought today I might want to do something different with the leftovers. Well, the carrots tasted like carrots, and at the same time it seemed like something was missing, probably that little bit of sweetness I usually add.

Unless the sauce you are cooking the ribs is too bbq -saucy, I would recommend you stir some of that in w/ your gravy for added flavor.

I can't speak to how your short ribs are coming along. I've only made them one time, and I don't remember any details.

I'm doing my standard marinated grilled veggie basket (zucchini rounds, onion leaves, whole mushrooms, and pieces of green, red, yellow bell pepper, asparagus ). I'll be grilling brats on the side.
This is a picture from a while ago, but it will look the same. We love this meal and it feels healthy.

img_1411998_0_7e8922430735a02ba6d81aa8de5a91d3.jpg

Looks so good, Kay! :yum:

I grilled this afternoon, too. 'kabobs. Tri tip, mushrooms, onions, and red and green bells. Yummy. :yum:

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Yummy pics, guys!

DH picked up some over the hill broccoli that was deeply discounted and wanted broccoli cheese soup, so that.

I made a beef heart stew with tomatoes, onions, rutabaga, celery, carrots, potatoes, kan kan-kan suya, beef stock, some spinach tossed in at the end. Simmered for about 1 hour, the heart was super tender. Huge salad with it.

Mrs Wyshiepoo and I were invited out to my sons flat for dinner.

Chicken stirfry (using one of my woks!) with lemon cheesecake for dessert.

Seems strange to have the house to ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom