Dinner Thursday, 5/5/16??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We are having Chicken Chasseur with polenta with gruyere, and some kind of green vege. Have to visit the store, thought we had chicken in the freezer but we don't and didn't see anything else that floated my fancy. Did find a big piece of pork belly though, didn't remember having that, not enough time for that to thaw and get cooked the way I like today though. Maybe some dessert.

For our Cinco de Mayo dinner, I'm trying a new recipe for carne deshebrada tacos with a cabbage and carrot slaw.

I was going to treat myself to a take out dinner from my fave little mom and pop Mexican restaurant. Looking through the fridge though, I found I have everything to make a smothered Tex Mex style burrito, so that's what it'll be. The restaurant dinners are so big for one person, so this is more practical. Plus, it'll use up a bunch of odds and ends. :)

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking Cinco de Mayo, but have some tortillas that need to be used, and have all of the rest of the ingredients on hand, so it's fajitas tonight.

The fiesta grande here is across the river on Saturday. Parade, street fair, bands, both rock and mariachi. I think I will only watch the jalapeno eating contest.

Dx is making a pan of enchiladas suizas tonight. We'll put together some guac and chips and a fruit salad to go with.

Last edited:
Non-Spanish food on our table tonight.
003.jpg
I'm going to make Chicken Curry Stew, using TJ's
Curry Simmer Sauce.
Not like Chicken Curry Stew in Hawaii,
but I think it'll be good.
zippys chicken curry.jpg
[Zippy's Chicken Curry Stew]

My evening meal consisted of spinach and ricotta cheese ravioli (bought - reduced in price) and eating some of a home made rhubarb cake that I baked.

A recent thread here made me want to eat this ravioli but the bought version was so disappointing! A compressed, nondescript, tasteless glue-like filling! I envisaged a spinach base topped with lovely ricotta cheese! I should have known better. I have never eaten a tasty fresh made ravioli from shops.

The fresh rhubarb cake was equally disappointing. It was a recipe. I started to have my doubts about it once I started chopping up the rhubarb into small pieces and seeing how much of it there was in comparison to the cake mixture! Although it held together it was more like a heavy, moist pudding and pretty bland at that!

Last edited:
I spelunked some pulled pork from the freezer, and will mix it with mushed-up pinto beans and pepperjack cheese. Serve with Tostitos.

We met with our financial adviser this evening and ate at an Irish pub for dinner after. The Mexican places were all so busy and we didn't have a lot of time between that meeting and church so we hit the pub for burgers. They make their own turkey burgers that were really good. I had potato salad with mine and DH had French fries.

We met with our financial adviser this evening and ate at an Irish pub for dinner after. The Mexican places were all so busy and we didn't have a lot of time between that meeting and church so we hit the pub for burgers. They make their own turkey burgers that were really good. I had potato salad with mine and DH had French fries.

Jabbur we live in a town with nothing but Mexican restaurants, except for one Irish Pub that has some of the best food and ambiance in town....
check out the delicious menu!
Garman's Restaurant & Irish Pub - Santa Paula, CA

Andy, your carne deshebrada sounds a bit like a tomato version of my barbacoa. I found a good-sounding recipe on Epicurious and might give it a go. Looking forward to your review.

We did a scavenger hunt in our fridge. I had the last pork chop with shallots and apple, Himself finished a small bit of chili and had veggies with a piece of corned beef. Since I was still hunngry, I had the last of the raspberries with Greek yohgurt. Oddly enough, neither of us had the barbacoa...

I was going to treat myself to a take out dinner from my fave little mom and pop Mexican restaurant. Looking through the fridge though, I found I have everything to make a smothered Tex Mex style burrito, so that's what it'll be. The restaurant dinners are so big for one person, so this is more practical. Plus, it'll use up a bunch of odds and ends. :)

Oooh, was this ever yummy. Refried beans, rice, some leftover seasoned ground beef, onions, and avocado in a flour tortilla. Smothered with salsa verde, a little red salsa, sour cream, Cojita, and cilantro. :yum:

Attachments

• smothered burrito2.jpg
    smothered burrito2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 115
Back
Top Bottom