Dinner Thursday, 5-8-2014 ~ Draft Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Listening to the NFL draft, first pick about to be announced. What foods did you draft for your meal tonight?

Didn't cook, unless you count two pans of scones. Instead, supper tonight was hot dogs, potato salad, and a can of bake beans not fussed up.

What did you have today?

The Colonel was kind and cooked for us tonight. Original recipe, mashed taters with gravy, green beans and biscuits.

Hickory smoked baby back ribs with Bullseye Original sauce, Thai cucumber salad, BBQ baked beans and a beer.

Wow Andy, that sounds good! I'm a proponent of the other leading barbecue sauce--KC Masterpiece--but I bet your baby back ribs are about the same as mine. Do you actually smoke them? I don't have a smoker yet but I have had super good results covering a baking sheet with aluminum foil then setting a rack on top of that (to keep the ribs out of the grease) and roasting the ribs. I pay more attention to look and feel but I probably cook the 325F for 20-25 minutes, baste them with the BBQ sauce, and then another 20-25 minutes until it's time to ring the dinner bell.

Tonight I am eating something in the television category. I've been cooking too much lately and I tend to cook large servings, so I'm switching to TV so that as soon as I get hungry I can nuke and eat it, and once dinner is over at least I don't feel like continuing sipping wine and never snack after dinner.

So dinner will be something in the Lean Cuisine or Marie Callendar section, maybe with an addition of salad, vegetable, rolls or some combination of them.

I had the tacos I was going to make the other night. And they were glorious.

Wow Andy, that sounds good! I'm a proponent of the other leading barbecue sauce--KC Masterpiece--but I bet your baby back ribs are about the same as mine. Do you actually smoke them?...

Yes. I used actual charcoal and actual chunks of hickory.

o my dear and precious heart. There really is a draft !?! Been reading Speculation for Months. Fish and Cut Bait.

So much hope and so little time based on a few $$ millions of -- I don't know what-- as good or better than it gets with my team; no quarterbacks in sight, a new pro coach and the GM won't say what he wants. All I can say is raise the flag this fall me hearties and hope its not just another white flag waving in the breeze.

Indeed. This is one of the reasons I liked playing PPPC's Shuffle or whatever it's called. Last year. Next Year >>> This Year.

Nom nom nom. I made Ice Tea Today. I think first time this spring. Went Barefoot in the Back Yard.

\Gads. my feet is soft. Had chicken salad for Breakfast strt out of the frig. By the time Dinner rolled around, I made Corn meal waffles standing up watching them get crispy as some sausage patties browned in a pan alongside.

Skillet cooked thick loin lamb chops from Costco, seasoned with Herbs de Provence,
broccolini sauted in garlic butter, tri colored rice with mushrooms and shallots.
Bottle of California Butternut Chardonnay. Ohhhh yeah! Happy couple here.

Last edited:
Grilled chicken thighs, green salad and streamed broccoli. I had some Trader Joe's pizza dough that needed to get used, so I made some bread sticks.

Tonight I made Tyler Florence's Chicken Enchiladas with lots of tweaks. Delicious!

Stirling and I went to one of our favourite local restos, La Porte Grecque. It's my birthday on Mother's Day, so we celebrated it early. We forgot to bring our own wine, so I dashed across the street to Marché Adonis and bought a bottle of Côte du Rhône. The supper was superb. Stirling had the shish kabob with Caesar salad and I had the bacon wrapped scallops with a salad and rosemary roasted potatoes. I lucked out. It was on the table d'hôte menu, so I got an appetizer with that. I chose the dolmas. I had galaktobourekos for dessert. It was excellent. Stirling had apple pie, which he said was good, but not as good as mine.

20140508_194652.jpg

20140508_194647.jpg

Listening to the NFL draft, first pick about to be announced. What foods did you draft for your meal tonight?

Didn't cook, unless you count two pans of scones. Instead, supper tonight was hot dogs, potato salad, and a can of bake beans not fussed up.

What did you have today?
When I read the title I thought you meant "draft" as in escaping to Canada to dodge the draft. Was very confused as I thought your armed forces were volunteer organisations.

Is the NFL draft when they decide who's doing to play who?

Stirling and I went to one of our favourite local restos, La Porte Grecque. It's my birthday on Mother's Day, so we celebrated it early. We forgot to bring our own wine, so I dashed across the street to Marché Adonis and bought a bottle of Côte du Rhône. The supper was superb. Stirling had the shish kabob with Caesar salad and I had the bacon wrapped scallops with a salad and rosemary roasted potatoes. I lucked out. It was on the table d'hôte menu, so I got an appetizer with that. I chose the dolmas. I had galaktobourekos for dessert. It was excellent. Stirling had apple pie, which he said was good, but not as good as mine.
Sterling certainly knows which side his bread is buttered on :LOL:

Is there a translated version of what I am looking at? lol
:LOL:

Côte du Rhône - French red wine from the Rhône region of France
shish kabob - according to Wikipedia, "Kebab is a Middle Eastern dish of pieces of meat, fish, or vegetables roasted or grilled on a skewer or spit..."
table d'hôte menu - again, from Wikipedia, "In restaurant terminology a table d'hôte menu is a menu where multi-course meals with only a few choices are charged at a fixed total price."
dolmas - stuffed grape leaves, usually has rice

Dolma-for-web.jpg

galaktobourekos - Greek custard based dessert

galaktoboureko.jpg

Back
Top Bottom