Dinner.....Thursday 5-9-19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Whatcha all having (or had)? :chef:
I had lots of veggies and fruits to use up, so I roasted a sheet pan of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, a few mushrooms, and a couple of garlic cloves thrown in there. A little sprinkling of olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper just before putting it into the oven.

Small fruit salad of kiwifruit, leftover mango from this morning, and watermelon was a nice cool side.

I'll probably have a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream later this evening.

I made a mushroom barley soup today - very cool out there today, so it was soup weather. The other day, at the produce market, I picked up some leeks, because the last time I made this I remembered that the best version I have made of it had leeks in it, which is what made it better. I also put a third of a cup of moong dal in it, to add some protein, and thicken it up some.

Not a lot of spoons in this house so we collaborated. I cooked up some rapini with bacon, garlic, and chili flakes. DH boiled some ravioli and mixed it up with some roasted red pepper pesto with added pasta water. That was really tasty. It was a "half home made" meal. Still not a big fan of rapini (both of us are super tasters, so bitter is not nice for us), but with the bacon, it was tasty enough that I think it will be a twice a year veg. The bacon seems to have some magical, anti-bitter powers.

Italian dinner bowls cooked on the fly tonight, and enough to freeze for another meal.
Love that part.
It all started with onions/red and green Bell pepper/fresh chopped garlic as usual. Cooked up both hot and mild Italian sausage, red wine, and a jar of Barilla sauce. Boiled Orecchiette pasta was added with some pasta water, and topped with fresh grated and shaved Parmesan and snipped chives from the garden. Hot pepper flakes sprinkled for me.
Easy peasy, and a delicious dinner. Ohh yeah....

Attachments

• P5090019[1].jpg
    P5090019[1].jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 136
I made a pretty full relish tray, so we were perfectly happy splitting the leftover chicken with olives, artichokes, etc, and the leftover orzo. Made fresh green beans. We ended up perfectly happy when we had strawberry shortcakes much later - Himself's with his precious dessert shells, me with my from-scratch shortcake biscuits.

I finished up the second lobster slider from our take out meal the other night. Even though it was still wrapped and sealed, I found the bread to be stale. So I just ate all the lobster with a fork and left the bun behind for the garbage pail. later after a much needed nap, I ate my delivered lunch. Pasta with tomato sauce and ground up meat. Not the best pasta I have ever had, so I added salt to it. Then it became edible. I also added some jar sauce. I hate wasting food. Even if I didn't buy it.

Totally uninspired yesterday, so I thawed two Drumsticks seared 'em off, then braised them in a Cabernet-Marinara Sauce with Peppers, Onions and Sliced Baby Bella's, served over Spaghetti, dusted with Grated Parmesan........ Red Potato Salad

Chicken Drumsticks Italiano .jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Bow Tie Pasta with Broccoli Aglio Olio (With Garlic and Olive Oil) topped with grated Parmesan Reggiano & Pecorino Romano cheeses. No picture

Last night was green chili burgers. Seasoned beef 80/20 with chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin and salt. Made a chili topping with Hatch chilis, onion, garlic, salt and chicken stock sauteed in a pan until it had a nice texture. Grated jack on top. Cooked over charcoal in my Weber. Nice heat and flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom