Dinner Thursday, 6-2-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Yesterday's planned fajitas will become reality tonight. I'll saute peppers and onions, then toss the sliced steak into the pan just to warm it gently. We'll have rice and beans, and I'll nuke a couple cobs of corn, cut the kernels off, and toss with Tajin. Himself is having his as fajitas on corn tortillas while I'll make a salad with mine. Craving greens.

What's on your menu for tonight?

I made 2 stuffed bell peppers yesterday with plans of having one for yesterday's dinner, and the other one for today. I just put the other one in the toaster oven to warm up, and will have a slice of garlic bread and a fresh fruit salad of a peach, plum and mango for sides. Not sure I'll be able to eat it all, we'll see. I'm pretty hungry. :yum:

Last edited:
Crawfish etouffe and mirliton (chayote) and corn as a side.

36788-albums309-picture6555.jpg

Clam chowdah. I saw a local chef on the noon news making it, and it sounded good.

Your dinner looks good Medtran. So that's what happens with that cooler full of bright red mudbugs Craig was sharing on another thread.

I grilled pork chops. Barely used more than a spoon full or two of the Asian Ginger sauce I made yesterday, so I used more of it as a finishing sauce on the chops. Sliced cucumbers alongside and I made a gorgonzola blue cheese dressing for cole slaw. There's cantaloupe for later if I'm feeling peckish.

We recently made a run to Costco, so tonight it was four of their stellar loin lamb chops from Australia. Ohh, how we love those. I pan fried them on all four sides with HdP, garlic and salt.
Our neighbor brought us a "just right size garden zucchini", and I did a little casserole with saute' onion, salsa and lots of grated cheese, finished under the broiler.

Dang it Kay. I keep meaning to get some lamb chops from Costco, but by the time we get to the meat counter, I've about had it. DH is dancing around picking out wine, and I just want to load stuff up and go home.

Mmm, lamb chops. I've never pan fried them before. That's one skill I'm trying to develop...pan frying lamb chops, pork chops, steaks. I grill or broil those cuts of meat. I still have 2 lamb chops in the freezer that I marinated fresh for 3 hours, then froze. They look almost black when frozen. I'm hoping they cook up nice. I've never marinated, then froze meat before. The lamb chop marinade was just a simple olive oil, minced garlic, rosemary, lemon juice, sage, salt and pepper marinade. I'm eager to see how it broils up.

The reason I marinated and froze these chops is because I don't know what I want for dinner some nights and usually thaw and marinate a chop for only an hour before broiling it. I marinated these fresh lamb chops for 4 hours before freezing them, for more taste...hopefully.

Last edited:
Dawg and Calson..
Great thick loin lamb chops (at least from Costco) are so easy to cook to perfection!
Season however you like, and fry them dry like a ball, on all five sides starting with the flat side of the bone. Don't overthink it..and don't over cook the little darlings.
Pink is best. Perfection!
img_1468462_0_9fe71f7d155de93d0fc144ace5443e29.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't made up my mind yet for tonight's dinner. Been watching Food tube all day yesterday, might go for a nice steak pie unless it's too much work.

Went to a fundraiser lobster dinner at a local yacht club. It was prepared by a group of volunteers who work in the maritime industry, and proceeds go to scholarships for maritime education, local environmental groups, etc. We've been to these before. They do about 20 of these per year, and have it down to a science. There were 80 people at last night's dinner, and they do them for up to 200 guests.

Dinner was the traditional New England twin lobsters (small ones), steamers, clam chowder, baked beans, corn on the cob, and boiled red potatoes. Most left with doggy bags with the second lobster.

We made the low-country boil for about 25 teachers last night. It was so crazy, I forgot to take pictures :LOL:

We had eight pounds of shrimp, four pounds of mixed seafood, four pounds of mussels, about eight pounds of andouille and bratwurst, eight pounds of red potatoes, 20 ears of corn, five Vidalia onions, several whole peeled garlic cloves, and two quartered lemons with Zatarain's boil seasoning in a few gallons of water in a propane cooker thing.

I also roasted a couple huge seasoned chicken breasts and two of the brats for the two people who are allergic to seafood, and made a separate pot of veggies with a couple Tofurky kielbasa sausages for one person who is vegetarian. Plus 30 baked garlic bread sticks. Store-bought cheesecake with mixed berries for dessert.

We had lots of help, but I fell right into bed and slept very well. Check ☑ :)

Last edited:
Clam chowdah. I saw a local chef on the noon news making it, and it sounded good.

That is on our end of the month list. I will pick up some fresh clams and a can or two of whole baby clams. I already have two bottles of clam juice. :angel:

Went to a fundraiser lobster dinner at a local yacht club. It was prepared by a group of volunteers who work in the maritime industry, and proceeds go to scholarships for maritime education, local environmental groups, etc. We've been to these before. They do about 20 of these per year, and have it down to a science. There were 80 people at last night's dinner, and they do them for up to 200 guests.

Dinner was the traditional New England twin lobsters (small ones), steamers, clam chowder, baked beans, corn on the cob, and boiled red potatoes. Most left with doggy bags with the second lobster.

My sister and I used to go to the lobster fest every year when they put the boats in the water at the yacht club. I used to collect the lobster shells for the broth. Bring home about ten shells or more. Used it in clam chowder. Now I just make it with shrimp shells and the couple of lobsters I boil about two or three times a year. A lot of folks do not pick out the meat from the body. (Me included) Those parts make for a great broth. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom