Dinner Thursday 6th December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got a pot of Red gravy reducing with sausage
39817-albums933-picture5267.jpg
& meatballs.

YUM!

S&P, what does the red gravy consist of?

As we have Tomato sauce, like your ketchup and then we have pasta tomato sauce

From the Wiki

"The most common use of the term tomato sauce in New Zealand and Australia is to describe a commercially produced condiment similar to American ketchup.[4] Identical condiments sold in the United States or United Kingdom as "ketchup" is usually labelled in New Zealand and Australia as "tomato sauce". Tomato based sauces served with pasta would usually be referred to as pasta sauce."

It is also called Sunday gravy. Various meats are simmered in it like braciole, meatballs and sausage. Meats are usually removed and served as a seperate course while the gravy is served over macaroni (all inclusive Italian-American word for pasta).

Thanks GG, is that just everyday tomato sauce or like a pasta tomato sauce?

Hi, Kylie. It's a pasta tomato sauce, with onions, garlic, Italian herbs, etc. I'm actually just repeating what I've heard here and elsewhere - I grew up in Michigan among German and Polish people, not in an Italian family ;) If I had a large number of people to cook for, I'd love to make it sometime.

We hosted exchange students from Germany, Slovakia and Denmark - we were really surprised to hear that in Slovakia, they put ketchup on pasta. We learned a lot from those students.

Last edited:
while everyone was busy discussing red gravy, and talking about a tomato-based sauce, i was thinking red eye gravy, which i was sure did not include tomatoes in any form. i finally went back and reread that portion of the thread

more carefully, and spotted my mistake. all of this talk about red sauces and gravies has me wanting some today, soon, of either kind--with rice or pasta, with ham, sausages or beef., or all three! now, who makes a good one...to go....not me! but at least now i know typical ingredients for both red gravy and red-eye gravy.

just so long as it is meaty and plentiful!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom