Dinner Thursday, February 17th, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am making Orange Chicken in the Crockpot! Yummy.

I would love this recipe if you get a chance betterthanabox! Thanks.

babetoo, I will be thinking of you. Your evening sounds great!

We will be having left over grilled brats and cheeseburgers, etc...Just a yo yo night!:neutral:

How about beef stir fry?

A favorite recipe of mine with shaved beef is "steak and peppers". Fry up the beef then put in a large pot with sliced green peppers and your favorite spaghetti sauce. Add herbs and seasoning to your taste. Simmer on low, covered, until the peppers are soft and the meat is tender. Server over rice, mashed potatoes, or even on sub rolls with melted cheese (done under the broiler of course to crisp the roll).

I've never had this but it does sound tasty and I think I have all the ingredients. Thank you!!! I'll post when I make it and let you know how it goes!

Hot roast beef sandwich (hot gravy put on French bread then cold roast beef. Close sandwich, cover and microwave 30 seconds just to steam bread and warm meat without cooking it), Kraft Home style macaroni and cheese and salad (butter lettuce, radicchio, sliced mushroom cap, tomato and sesame seeds dressed with Good Seasons Basil vinaigrette and a splash of sesame oil.

img_970414_0_51a3147de05c9b9ecc7dc6d22975e0ea.jpg

I made a Danish meal (big surprise ;)). It was kale and pork soup served with rugbrød (heavy Danish rye bread), strong mustard, pickled beets, and the pork from making the soup.

I don't remember ever having kale before, so I was a little worried that I would hate it or find it gross.

It was a filling, satisfying meal. But, it wasn't anything special. I will undoubtedly make it again, but not too soon. Maybe I just have to get used to the taste of the kale. Kale is on the expensive side here - $2.29 for a bunch that weighed 250 grams. They don't write that, but I weighed the bunch at home. I was quite surprised to see that it cost the same at the supermarket for "regular" kale as I had paid at the health food store for organic kale.

I don't remember ever having kale before, so I was a little worried that I would hate it or find it gross.

Not an expert on kale, but the garden does produce a LOT of kale. I HATE kale from the store--organic or not. It is tough, somewhat bitter, yadda, yadda, yadda. My Danish friend (who loves kale--must've grown up in a different area than you did <g>) told me to pop the kale in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Freezing it slightly "sweetens" it. I have noticed that the kale we harvest in late October-November is sweeter than that which we harvest in the summer. Also, we overwintered some last year...man, were the leaves tender in the spring. I like to steam the kale or add it to stir fries, make pesto out of the little leaves, kale chips...soup...kale and mashed potatoes (there is a name for that--it is an Irish dish). Don't give up on kale just yet <g>.

steamed mussels, tossed salad, and a baquette. The DH is in charge (I curl) so he's going to give the Beer Steamed Mussels recipe a try since we have beer and I drank what was left of the white wine with dinner last night <g>.

Beer Steamed Mussels | Mussels in White Wine Sauce | Steamed Mussels Recipe

The mussels were very nice. I will definitely make this again. I can't tell you which type of beer we used--it wasn't dark beer (ale), it wasn't a pilsner...I'll ask DH which batch of homebrew it was from since he's the brewmaster.

Hot roast beef sandwich (hot gravy put on French bread then cold roast beef. Close sandwich, cover and microwave 30 seconds just to steam bread and warm meat without cooking it), Kraft Home style macaroni and cheese and salad (butter lettuce, radicchio, sliced mushroom cap, tomato and sesame seeds dressed with Good Seasons Basil vinaigrette and a splash of sesame oil.

img_970490_0_51a3147de05c9b9ecc7dc6d22975e0ea.jpg
Great use of leftovers! mmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom