Dinner Thursday, February 17th, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got a little bit of meat and a lot of veggies leftover from last night's roast, so I'll probably serve over egg noodles and whip up some kind of gravy.

Sticking with the Asian theme of last night's dinner. Tonight the menu will include an Asian marinated pork tenderloin with sesame noodles and Thai cucumber salad.

I'm thinking baked chicken in mushroom sauce with mashed taters and some veggie TBD.

That mushroom sauce sounds good. I noticed you are from NN, I grew up in VB and recently escaped from Williamsburg. Nice to see another 757-er...I don't miss that 64 traffic but do miss other parts!

I have a few leftover enchiladas but I'm really craving a philly cheesesteak. The store where I buy my meat is 30 minutes away so I'm thinking of buying a round steak or ribeye locally and hoping for the best.

Last edited:
guests for dinner, granddaughter's birthday. pork loin in crockpot with onion, carrots and celery. apple pie filling on top. tnt. twice baked potatoes, corn or broccoli, corn bread. honey on the table of course. i made a lemon poppy seed cake,will serve with ice cream, lemon.

dips out will be vegetable , and artichoke spinach. for dipping have crisp green beans and sun chips.

got beer, champagne, and either black russians or white ones.

i am really looking forward to it. six people altogether. most of prep. done yesterday. i want to be rested so i can have fun too.

Thursday 2/17/11 What's Cooking

Shopping is done. A late lunch will be quick & easy Gazpacho. (Vegetable juice mixed with some chunky salsa.) I'm just waiting for the ingredients to chill.

Dinner will probably be late too: Clam Chowder made with canned clams, both minced and chopped, clam juice, milk and evaporated milk with onions, celery and garlic toasted until golden and soft.

Last edited:
Has to be gentle and simple tonight; dd is enjoying ill health AKA getting over the flu. Leaning toward chicken breasts in a lemon/garlic/rosemary sauce with a roasted garlic couscous. Probably creamed spinach. Celery sticks, grape tomatoes, and kalamata olives as relishes. Her favorite meal (except for the spinach; she prefers broccoli)

No dessert, but I have some homemade cinnamon bread that is crying to become French toast at about 10, if the patient is hungry again; it WANTS to be introduced to the last little bit of stewed dried apples from fried pie making.

I tried a new meat market here and so far so good! The philly cheesesteak was great but I wasn't paying attention and they shaved the whole roast for me so now I have a ton (or 3lbs)...looking up shaved beef recipes now. Maybe bulgogi tomorrow and freeze the rest?

I tried a new meat market here and so far so good! The philly cheesesteak was great but I wasn't paying attention and they shaved the whole roast for me so now I have a ton (or 3lbs)...looking up shaved beef recipes now. Maybe bulgogi tomorrow and freeze the rest?

How about beef stir fry?

A favorite recipe of mine with shaved beef is "steak and peppers". Fry up the beef then put in a large pot with sliced green peppers and your favorite spaghetti sauce. Add herbs and seasoning to your taste. Simmer on low, covered, until the peppers are soft and the meat is tender. Server over rice, mashed potatoes, or even on sub rolls with melted cheese (done under the broiler of course to crisp the roll).

I went to the store with NO idea for dinner, except that I had already pulled leftover spiral sliced ham out of the freezer.
In the produce department they had diced raw butternut squash, so there was a starting point. My wife is trying to avoid potatoes and bread, so I went with something different.
I did an eggplant, leek, butternut squash, ham and mushroom au gratin(with skim milk and just a little cheese) seasoned with smoked cumin and curry powder
It was wonderful, I would highly recommend

Back
Top Bottom