"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Tonight I roasted a couple of bone-in chicken breasts and a potato. I was still hungry, so I toasted a French roll I made last weekend and... dragged it through the chicken juices on the roasting pan. Oh yum

I knew my friends here would understand
Oh boy, I understand!! We would call it soppin juice bread, and the elbows would fly getting to it!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Tonight I roasted a couple of bone-in chicken breasts and a potato. I was still hungry, so I toasted a French roll I made last weekend and... dragged it through the chicken juices on the roasting pan. Oh yum

I knew my friends here would understand
Mmmmm.....bread to sop up roasted chicken juices....

Old 01-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #13
Master Chef

Sometimes pan juices sopped up are even better than the meal itself, GG! I always make sure we have good bread on hand whenever I make something-and-collard-greens. Have to get every last drop of that pot likker.

Steamed broccoli for a veggie instead of making salad. Ended up putting the shrimp on Parmesan grits. Or Parmesan polenta. Your choice. At home there is no real difference; in a restaurant, the difference is about $12 to $15.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-28 20.39.42.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	24250  
Old 01-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hamburger something. I need to get inspired soon.
Well, she came up with Salisbury steaks done in ramekins with gravy, mushrooms and some caramelized onions. Then put a slice of Swiss cheese on top and baked them. Killer!!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #15
Master Chef

That looks deeeelectable CG!

I finally got inspired with the lb of hamburger. Browned two big thick patties till half done, and transferred each to a little individual oval casseroles. Love those things.
Then I sauteed some sliced mushrooms in the fat, de glazed with a little red wine, added some deep caramelized onions (previously frozen) and some broth made with a combo of BTB mushroom and beef. Simmered it down to 1/2, and poured it over the beef patties. Topped the casseroles with sliced Swiss cheese triangles and finished in the toaster oven. SC had garlic bread with his and we shared some steamed broccoli. It was really good!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 PM   #16
Master Chef

Wonderful sounding dinners everyone.

Joey, GG, and CG....love your pics! My tuna melt and fruit salad wasn't pic worthy, but it was good.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:41 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I was a bad girl when we did our marketing on Tuesday. Two beautiful steaks marked "managers special" practically shouted our names, so into the cart they went. I rationalized that since I'm supposed to be upping my protein intake, they were a necessary purchase. Hey, worked for me. Rationalization is a beautiful thing!
I think you were a very good girl! Steak is a great source of easily digestible protein, as well as iron! Way to go!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quesadillas. I went vegetarian with corn nibs, cooked in oil and flavored with S&P and oregano, and fontina cheese. Craig cooked himself up some filling with leftover cuban pork roast, poblano chilis, onions and there was something red in there, and made his with muenster cheese, and he had 1 of my corn quesadillas.

Tags
dinner