Dinner Thursday, January 28, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I defrosted large shrimp last night and will be cleaning the shells off shortly. Since I just washed a freshly purchased bunch of parsley last night, I see "Shrimp, Scampi style" on our plates tonight. How it gets plated is up in the air right now - details to follow later.

What are your plans?

I was a bad girl when we did our marketing on Tuesday. Two beautiful steaks marked "managers special" practically shouted our names, so into the cart they went. I rationalized that since I'm supposed to be upping my protein intake, they were a necessary purchase. Hey, worked for me. Rationalization is a beautiful thing!

The steaks will be grilled outside and we'll have sides of sauteed fresh mushrooms and a healthy serving of Gouda grits. Glenn's daughter made the grits as one of the sides for Christmas dinner and they were awesome. Came from the December 2015 issue of Southern Living magazine. Ive never had, nor prepared, anything from that publication that wasn't wonderful. I have a feeling we're going to be little piggies tonight.

I braised short ribs in red wine with rosemary & thyme. Will serve over polenta and a salad on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salad & Baked chicken w/........

img_1453283_0_688fb8f225e1839de04f3b5849bc160b.jpg

img_1453283_1_0538792c0dd43d4b8605f5324c0a62f1.jpg

We had lunch out today, so wanted to keep it simple tonight. It's still above freezing, so it's burgers on the grill, along with oven fries. Grilling out around here at the end of January is thumbing your nose at winter!

Tonight I roasted a couple of bone-in chicken breasts and a potato. I was still hungry, so I toasted a French roll I made last weekend and... dragged it through the chicken juices on the roasting pan. Oh yum :yum:

I knew my friends here would understand ;) :LOL:

Attachments

• 1454033661354.jpg
    1454033661354.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 128
Tonight I roasted a couple of bone-in chicken breasts and a potato. I was still hungry, so I toasted a French roll I made last weekend and... dragged it through the chicken juices on the roasting pan. Oh yum :yum:

Oh boy, I understand!! We would call it soppin juice bread, and the elbows would fly getting to it!:yum:

Mmmmm.....bread to sop up roasted chicken juices....:yum:

Sometimes pan juices sopped up are even better than the meal itself, GG! I always make sure we have good bread on hand whenever I make something-and-collard-greens. Have to get every last drop of that pot likker. :yum:

Steamed broccoli for a veggie instead of making salad. Ended up putting the shrimp on Parmesan grits. Or Parmesan polenta. Your choice. At home there is no real difference; in a restaurant, the difference is about $12 to $15.

Attachments

• 2016-01-28 20.39.42.jpg
    2016-01-28 20.39.42.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 131
Hamburger something. I need to get inspired soon. :mellow::huh:
Well, she came up with Salisbury steaks done in ramekins with gravy, mushrooms and some caramelized onions. Then put a slice of Swiss cheese on top and baked them. Killer!!

Last edited:
That looks deeeelectable CG!

I finally got inspired with the lb of hamburger. Browned two big thick patties till half done, and transferred each to a little individual oval casseroles. Love those things.
Then I sauteed some sliced mushrooms in the fat, de glazed with a little red wine, added some deep caramelized onions (previously frozen) and some broth made with a combo of BTB mushroom and beef. Simmered it down to 1/2, and poured it over the beef patties. Topped the casseroles with sliced Swiss cheese triangles and finished in the toaster oven. SC had garlic bread with his and we shared some steamed broccoli. It was really good!

Wonderful sounding dinners everyone. :yum:

Joey, GG, and CG....love your pics! My tuna melt and fruit salad wasn't pic worthy, but it was good. :)

I was a bad girl when we did our marketing on Tuesday. Two beautiful steaks marked "managers special" practically shouted our names, so into the cart they went. I rationalized that since I'm supposed to be upping my protein intake, they were a necessary purchase. Hey, worked for me. Rationalization is a beautiful thing!

I think you were a very good girl! Steak is a great source of easily digestible protein, as well as iron! Way to go! :mrgreen:

Quesadillas. I went vegetarian with corn nibs, cooked in oil and flavored with S&P and oregano, and fontina cheese. Craig cooked himself up some filling with leftover cuban pork roast, poblano chilis, onions and there was something red in there, and made his with muenster cheese, and he had 1 of my corn quesadillas.

Back
Top Bottom