Dinner Thursday June 18, 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No Idea

I have no idea what's for dinner tonight because I can't make up my mind on what I feel like eating. I could eat Tacos, Burritos, Pizza, Red Beans & rice or some kind of Pasta. Yes it's a dilemma. Any suggestions?

Since I've only had cottage cheese today (skipped breakfast), I went to Culvers and bought a a double deluxe and with a BOGO coupon, had two for the sum of $4.12.

Kind of early still, but I have fresh grapes, plums, and some granny smiths to snack on later for dessert.

Bob

I'm doing a test today. As I am on my soft, bland, liquid, blah diet...I am making cornbread and then I will soak some in milk and give it a try. Wish me luck!!!

I'm doing a test today. As I am on my soft, bland, liquid, blah diet...I am making cornbread and then I will soak some in milk and give it a try. Wish me luck!!!
why not just make polenta with milk instead of water? good luck!!

why not just make polenta with milk instead of water? good luck!!

1. the cornbread is already in the oven

2. the other inhabitants here (dh and kids) like it better than polenta because it's "familiar", lol, they've said that before when I tried something new

Roast cabbage with a walnut-date vinaigrette, and potatoes with bacon and Chevre.
photo_061809_0031.jpg

soup day two, even better than day one!

So I added a zucchini and a cup more brotha nd a touch of habanero sauce for a kick. THe smokey chicken flavor is all through it...so good.

Put 4 qts of broth and 2 oints of pulled meat from the carcasses into the freezer for next month and august...I see a pot of soup each month! can't wait for the corn to come in.

Anyway, had a couple guests who polished off tonights bowls quickly!

1. the cornbread is already in the oven

2. the other inhabitants here (dh and kids) like it better than polenta because it's "familiar", lol, they've said that before when I tried something new
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

all my plans for dinner went south!! i wound up taxi driver for one girl and running errands. so the one who needed the taxi and my hub had left over chili. my other girl and i had veggie beef soup ala red can and we grabbed a calzone on the fly.

VB - Your dogs are looking pretty tasty. Can you now share some of the stuff seafood related I'd drool over? ;) Being that you are in Washington state, I assume you have lots to share.

Thanks!

Bob

P.S. I realize it's pretty late, so I can wait till tomorrow.

Believe it or or not, I was able to quickly respond to your request as I searched for these earlier, knowing you'd call me to task ;-)

But I didn't mind. You are worth it. ;)

Bob

Believe it or or not, I was able to quickly respond to your request as I searched for these earlier, knowing you'd call me to task ;-)

But I didn't mind. You are worth it. ;)

Bob
flattery will get you .............. everywhere!! :angel:

Last nights dinner was grilled lamb chops, (marinaded in olive oil, lemon, rosemary and garlic) grilled corn on the cob and basmati rice.

After work, I took my wife to the West Pier Drive In, where the best hamburgers in town are made (unless i'm firing up the grill at home that is;)). And I had a rootbeer float and a hot dog. The hot dog, to my chagrine, was the worst hot dog in town. It tasted like those really cheap ones you get at Wall Mart. DW wasn't hungry later, so I cooked up a quarter-pound fillet of Rainbow Trout, dredged in flour, and pan fried. Had a baked sweet potato on the side. I do so love trout, especially pan fried until the light coating of flour browns and forms a crispy crust. Lightly salt and it doesn't get any better than that.

Oh, and MsMoffet; Here's that seasoned flour you asked for. In fact, here are four great chicken recipes. All have seen space on DC before, but are good enough to put here again. The first, second, and fourth recipes represent some of the best chicken I've ever made. And the third recipe is really tasty, and add variety to my menu selection.

Bob Flowers Bacon Roasted Chicken with Mushroom Sauce and Fettucini

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Aromatics:
Coarsely chop one red onion, one carrot, and add 4 cloves fresh garlic together in a bowl. Add one quartered lemon, 2 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves with the stems, and fresh rosemary, again on the twigs. Add a splash of EVOO and mash everything together with your hands.
Dry the whole chicken, 2 to 3 lb. bird, inside and out with paper towels. Stuff the cavity with the aromatic mixture. Use cotton string to tie the chicken into the proper roasting shape by using a two foot length. Start at the bottom front, breast-side up. Place the string center at the bottom front (neck area) and draw the string under the wings. Wrap one and one-half times around the wing joint. Wrap the loose ends under the wing and over the breast to secure the wings to tthe body. Take the loose ends and wrap around the thigh/body joint one time complete and secure the legs to the body. Use the remaining ends to tie the skin and muscle flaps over the cavity to seal in the aromatics. Tie the string off in a bow and cut the extra string.
Take one raw bacon strip and starting again at the bottom front, press the strip from its center around the bottom of the chicken. Repeat the process with a second strip, only starting at the rear bottom. The bacon will stick to the chjiken. Lay strips of bacon accross the breast to cover from front to back. Place chicken into a roasting pan.
Spread 3 eight ounce packages of cremini (baby portabellas), or button mushrooms around the chicken. Drizzle EVOO over the mushrooms and lightly salt the mushrooms. Place in the oven and cook until the breast meat reads 150 degrees on a meat thermometer, About 1 hr. and 15 minutes.

Fettucini and Mushroom Sauce
During the last 20 minutes of cooking time, boil whole wheat fettucini until al-dente (about 9 minutes). Remove from the pot, drain, and toss with a bit of extra-virgin olive oil and set it aside, covered to retain the moisture. Remove the chicken from the oven and take the cooked bacon off. Remove the mushrooms, aromatics and pan drippings to a bowl. Lightly salt and place the chicken back into the oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes to brown the skin. After the ten mintes is past, remove the chicken and let rest while you set the table.
While the chicken is roasting, melt 4 tbs. of real butter in a sauce pot and add an equal amount of flour to make a roux. Thin the roux with the chicken drippings. Finish the sauce by adding cream until it is the consistancy you desire. Blend the aromatics until they form a smooth paste and add to the sauce. Correct the seasoning to taste and add the mushrooms. Serve mushroom sauce over the fettucini and with a leafy salad, complete with perfect cherry tomatoes and a good dressing.

Bob Flowers’ Best fried chicken, ever , Better than Wow– Feb, 2009

I said I was going to test tonight. Here are the results.

Test number 1:
I'm tasting this as I'm typing. The chicken is fresh out of the oven, and I havepaper towel in hands between tasting and typing. Before I start, I made two pieces of chicken - skinless chicken thighs, using identical technique, cooked at the same time in the same oven. I will give the recipes after I taste these and give you the critique.

Recipe 1:
This recipe has significant thought put into the seasonings. So here goes. How do I describe this one? It is soooo good, but dramatically different than the first. The coating doesn't have that mild crunch like the first one does, but isn't sloppy or gooey either. It's a proper coating. But the flavor is much more intense. If your after great chicken meat flavor, then opt for the first recipe. If you want intense, great flavor, opt for recipe number two. I can't really decide which one I like better. This second recipe is bold and litterally takes over your senses. It is a spicy, but not pepper hot. The flavor is well ballanced, and is what you think of when you think chicken while watching the superbowl. I would say that it would rival hot wings for popularity as a snacking food. But you'd better have something to wash it down. This is Bobby Flay Throwdown chicken. I would put this up against anybody. Good thing this isn't a competition.

Recipe number 2: Oh wow. The coating is very light, slightly crispy, and the chicken is hot, almost to hot to handle. But it is possibly the most tender chicken I have ever made. The flavor is mildly savory, with a hint of sweet undertones, and just enough pepper to warm your mouth, almost without being able to be detected. But it does enhance the flavor. The coating doesn't hide the chicken meat flavor, but rather, compliments it. I really like this batch. This one is a keeper. Wait, I need another bite. I'm not kidding. This is the most tender chicken I have ever eaten, let alone made. And it's just grocery store chicken, pre-cut and packaged. It's very moist, without being sloppy, and my hands aren't coming away greasy. The after taste is mild, but lingers. It's pleasant. This is good chicken! Delicate but wonderful flavor.

Ok. so here are the recipes.

Recipe 1: I'm going to name this one - Goodweed's Bull Dog Chicken
Preheat the oven to 375' F.
In a bowl, combine the following with a wire whisk.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 dash Chinese 5-spice powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder
In a seperate bowl, make an egg-wash from 1 large egg whisked with 1/4 cup water.

Preheat 2 inches of oil in a frying pan until fragrant. Turn heat to medium flame.

Skin the chicken thighs and dredge in seasoned flour. Dip in the egg-wash, and then again in the seasoned flour. Shake excess coating from the chicken and place in hot oil. Don't crown the pan. Fry on each side for 2 minutes. Remove the chicken to a foil-lined pan and place into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Recipe Number 2: Name this one for me, but not until after you've tried it. So good!
Preheat oven to 375' F.
Again, whisk the following ingredients into a bowl:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup uncooked farina (cream of wheat)
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
Egg-wash
Follow the same cooking technique as in recipe number 1.

Ok. So while the first seasoned flour recipe is a celebration for your taste buds, the second is more delicate, but equally tasty. Neither is your grandma's fried chicken. This is pure goodweed stuff. I hate to sound so full of myself, but after these two successes, I really can't help myself. You guys and gals gotta try 'em. If you don't, you'll be cheating yourselves. You can tell your family that you created them if you want. I don't care. Can I have some more? Oh, wait. I just made two pieces. Oh, and the second recipe is made to go with some great sides, like sweet or mashed potatoes, and a good salad to help resuscitate your taste buds. Enjoy.

This is one more attempt at making something as tasty as KFC original. And it came out really good.

Seasoned Flour Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. curry powder
1 tbs. Better Than Boullion chicken base
1 tsp. MSG.
1 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1 tsp. granulated onion powder
½ tsp. ground black pepper

Chicken Ingredients:
Chicken pieces.

Egg-wash Ingredients:
1 large egg
¼ cup milk

Pre-heat cooking oil to fill a heavy frying pan to a depth of 2 inches.

Blend all seasoned flour ingrediants together. In a seperate bowl, whisk the egg-wash ingredients together. Dip chicken pieces in egg-wash to completely coat, then in the seasoned flour, again until the chicken is completely coated.. Lightly bump the pieces together over the flour bowl to dislodge any excess flour. Place in the hot oil and fry until lightly browened. Place on a lined baking dish or cookie sheet and a 375 oven for 20 minutes. Remove and serve with your favorite sides.

Smouldering Chicken

If you love Hot Wings*

If you love hot wings, then I have an outstanding barbecue chicken recipe for you. I call it Smoldering Chicken. It doesn’t burn your mouth, but leaves a warm glow.
And the flavor is amazing. Trust me, when you read the ingredients, you will probably think that this chicken is beyond the taste buds of ordinary mortals. It looks like it will be blistering hot. But it isn’t. It will surprise you. (By the way, this is my eldest daughter’s, and husband’s favorite chicken. She begged for the recipe.)

The technique given is for use with a kettle-style charcoal grill, but can easily be adapted to any covered grill or barbecue, gas, wood, or charcoal. Enjoy.

Sauce:
1/3 cup Sriracha brand Hot Sauce
2 tbs. Tabasco Pepper Sauce
1 tbs. good soy sauce

8 to 10 chicken thighs, with the skin removed

Mix the sauce ingredients together. Pour into a 1 gallon freezer bag & add the chicken pieces. Move everything around inside the bag until the chicken is well coated with the sauce. Press the air from the bag and place it in the refrigerator for two hours. Make your side dishes during this marinating time.

Fire up the grill with a solid bed of charcoal and let it go until the coals are glowing. Place the chicken on the grill, leaving space between the pieces. Cover and close all vents half way. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove the lid and turn over. Cover and cook for 7 additional minutes. Test with an instant read meat thermometer. Remove the chicken when the temperature reads 160 degrees.

Serve with vegetable kabobs, baked beans, or other summertime foods such as salads, grilled fruit, etc.

From the Kitchen of Bob Flowers

Hope you love chicken.

I'm going to have to add these recipes to my poultry cookbook. That's the great thing about writing a cookbook; you get to alter it.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom