Dinner Thursday Nov 18?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is cheaper and I like the taste, but I'd really rather have the real thing. Like I said, I can't find it. I don't drive, and rely on the van trips to shop. Right now they go to WalMart and Sav-A-Lot.

There is a small liquor/cigarette store near SAL where I get my smokes. I've looked around there and didn't see it, but forgot to ask last time I was there. There is also a Rouses grocery nearby, but didn't see it there, either. The local CVS has wine, but no sherry either.

I just don't understand how a place like New Orleans, which is known for good food wouldn't have sherry. They don't seem to have Gravy Master either!

It is cheaper and I like the taste, but I'd really rather have the real thing. Like I said, I can't find it. I don't drive, and rely on the van trips to shop. Right now they go to WalMart and Sav-A-Lot.

There is a small liquor/cigarette store near SAL where I get my smokes. I've looked around there and didn't see it, but forgot to ask last time I was there. There is also a Rouses grocery nearby, but didn't see it there, either. The local CVS has wine, but no sherry either.

I just don't understand how a place like New Orleans, which is known for good food wouldn't have sherry. They don't seem to have Gravy Master either!

Z. call the liquor store and ask them if they have the sherry. Right before the van picks you up for shopping, call them again, let them know you are coming and please have it at the front for you to pick up quickly. Most places are happy to do this if you are on a timetable for rides. :)

Z. call the liquor store and ask them if they have the sherry. Right before the van picks you up for shopping, call them again, let them know you are coming and please have it at the front for you to pick up quickly. Most places are happy to do this if you are on a timetable for rides. :)

Sounds like a good idea.

Sounds like a good idea.

When I was a Nurses Assistant for a home care agency, I used this idea for picking up their needs before I went to their home. Quick and efficient. Did you know that most efficiency experts are really just lazy?:LOL:

Thanks, Princess I don't know why I never thought of it. Probably because I only use the phone when necessary. Too many interruptions at work, I guess. I need to get over that.

I agree with your last comment. I am very very organized and efficient and all because I'm lazy. I always want to save a step or a keystroke. I was so thrilled when word processors came out because I didn't have to hit the return key!!

Thank you for the tip. I'm using cooking sherry right now. I've searched and searched the wine section at WalMart and haven't found it, but the cooking sherry is actually pretty good, although I have to be careful since it is salty. I'll keep looking.

Ykies Z.......don't use what they call "cooking sherry". You may be wondering about the purpose of cooking sherry. It's made undrinkable so it can be sold in grocery stores in states where grocery stores can't sell alcoholic beverages. You don't want to cook with a wine you can't drink. You want a bottle of dry, or med. dry Sherry for general cooking purposes and it shouldn't be more than 6 or 7 dollars at the very most. Sherry will last indefinitely when opened, as it's a fortified wine. All of our supermarkets have it in the liquor/wine section.

PS I was in such a hurry to talk to you about cooking sherry, I neglected to read the posts that came after. Great idea PF !! I hope you can find it Z. :)

Last edited:
Angel hair pasta,artichokes,capers,butter onion, garlic basil Fruit salad rolls
kades

When I was a Nurses Assistant for a home care agency, I used this idea for picking up their needs before I went to their home. Quick and efficient. Did you know that most efficiency experts are really just lazy?:LOL:

Yup, I knew that. I'm lazy too ;)

I remember reading Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth, Jr., and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey a long time ago. The dad was an "efficiency expert" who many called lazy. When he went on a new consulting job, his first question was, "Who is your laziest worker?" Because he always got the best ideas from them.

Yup, I knew that. I'm lazy too ;)

I remember reading Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth, Jr., and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey a long time ago. The dad was an "efficiency expert" who many called lazy. When he went on a new consulting job, his first question was, "Who is your laziest worker?" Because he always got the best ideas from them.

I forgot that line! Must have perked around in the back of my thick head for a long while.:)

I drive my supervisor nuts, she's always telling me to do it the right way...I asked her she wanted it done right and slow or right and fast...if fast, let me do it my way, same results!

I forgot that line! Must have perked around in the back of my thick head for a long while.:)

I drive my supervisor nuts, she's always telling me to do it the right way...I asked her she wanted it done right and slow or right and fast...if fast, let me do it my way, same results!

Some people just don't understand creative laziness. Get the job done, get it done well, get done correctly, but don't waste time or energy doing it "the right way". :)

Back
Top Bottom