"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2010, 05:05 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
It is cheaper and I like the taste, but I'd really rather have the real thing. Like I said, I can't find it. I don't drive, and rely on the van trips to shop. Right now they go to WalMart and Sav-A-Lot.

There is a small liquor/cigarette store near SAL where I get my smokes. I've looked around there and didn't see it, but forgot to ask last time I was there. There is also a Rouses grocery nearby, but didn't see it there, either. The local CVS has wine, but no sherry either.

I just don't understand how a place like New Orleans, which is known for good food wouldn't have sherry. They don't seem to have Gravy Master either!
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #42
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
It is cheaper and I like the taste, but I'd really rather have the real thing. Like I said, I can't find it. I don't drive, and rely on the van trips to shop. Right now they go to WalMart and Sav-A-Lot.

There is a small liquor/cigarette store near SAL where I get my smokes. I've looked around there and didn't see it, but forgot to ask last time I was there. There is also a Rouses grocery nearby, but didn't see it there, either. The local CVS has wine, but no sherry either.

I just don't understand how a place like New Orleans, which is known for good food wouldn't have sherry. They don't seem to have Gravy Master either!
Z. call the liquor store and ask them if they have the sherry. Right before the van picks you up for shopping, call them again, let them know you are coming and please have it at the front for you to pick up quickly. Most places are happy to do this if you are on a timetable for rides.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Z. call the liquor store and ask them if they have the sherry. Right before the van picks you up for shopping, call them again, let them know you are coming and please have it at the front for you to pick up quickly. Most places are happy to do this if you are on a timetable for rides.
Sounds like a good idea.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sounds like a good idea.
When I was a Nurses Assistant for a home care agency, I used this idea for picking up their needs before I went to their home. Quick and efficient. Did you know that most efficiency experts are really just lazy?
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Thanks, Princess I don't know why I never thought of it. Probably because I only use the phone when necessary. Too many interruptions at work, I guess. I need to get over that.

I agree with your last comment. I am very very organized and efficient and all because I'm lazy. I always want to save a step or a keystroke. I was so thrilled when word processors came out because I didn't have to hit the return key!!
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #46
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Thank you for the tip. I'm using cooking sherry right now. I've searched and searched the wine section at WalMart and haven't found it, but the cooking sherry is actually pretty good, although I have to be careful since it is salty. I'll keep looking.
Ykies Z.......don't use what they call "cooking sherry". You may be wondering about the purpose of cooking sherry. It's made undrinkable so it can be sold in grocery stores in states where grocery stores can't sell alcoholic beverages. You don't want to cook with a wine you can't drink. You want a bottle of dry, or med. dry Sherry for general cooking purposes and it shouldn't be more than 6 or 7 dollars at the very most. Sherry will last indefinitely when opened, as it's a fortified wine. All of our supermarkets have it in the liquor/wine section.

PS I was in such a hurry to talk to you about cooking sherry, I neglected to read the posts that came after. Great idea PF !! I hope you can find it Z. :)
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Angel hair pasta,artichokes,capers,butter onion, garlic basil Fruit salad rolls
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
When I was a Nurses Assistant for a home care agency, I used this idea for picking up their needs before I went to their home. Quick and efficient. Did you know that most efficiency experts are really just lazy?
Yup, I knew that. I'm lazy too

I remember reading Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth, Jr., and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey a long time ago. The dad was an "efficiency expert" who many called lazy. When he went on a new consulting job, his first question was, "Who is your laziest worker?" Because he always got the best ideas from them.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #49
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yup, I knew that. I'm lazy too

I remember reading Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth, Jr., and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey a long time ago. The dad was an "efficiency expert" who many called lazy. When he went on a new consulting job, his first question was, "Who is your laziest worker?" Because he always got the best ideas from them.
I forgot that line! Must have perked around in the back of my thick head for a long while.

I drive my supervisor nuts, she's always telling me to do it the right way...I asked her she wanted it done right and slow or right and fast...if fast, let me do it my way, same results!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I forgot that line! Must have perked around in the back of my thick head for a long while.

I drive my supervisor nuts, she's always telling me to do it the right way...I asked her she wanted it done right and slow or right and fast...if fast, let me do it my way, same results!
Some people just don't understand creative laziness. Get the job done, get it done well, get done correctly, but don't waste time or energy doing it "the right way".
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.