"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 11-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Dinner Thursday Nov 18?

Can't believe no one has started this yet!

Its 50 freezies out there right now so I would like to be cooking something warm and toasty. I think I'll put on a pot of chili or something and then bake some bread.

We're actually going over to my MIL's for dinner, but hey, this stuff lasts.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Assistant Cook
Supper tonight is...

Cabbage Roll Soup! Created this a few years ago at my Sub Shop, and basically just threw everything in the pot that my Mom used to make cabbage rolls. Made it already today, and SERIOUSLY need to stay out of the kitchen...each time I walk by the stove I stop for a little sip...mmmMMmm! It is fantastic!

I also made (to have in the fridge for lunches, sides) a Mexican Rice. Baked a couple of chicken breast smothered with cumin, chopped them up and added to a pan with water, salsa, taco seasoning, black beans and corn. Bring to a boil, add your rice and cover! Had a bowl for lunch...of course smothered in hot sauce.

If you think you can, or think you can't....you're right!
gingerlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
WOW! Just realized you're from Edmonton, Alix!
If you think you can, or think you can't....you're right!
gingerlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
SO is working late and I'm making myself s batch of GLOP for dinner.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Dh will get a slice of buttered bread covered with meatloaf. I will probably have an assortment of things. Yesterday I dug the last sweet potato plant, (got 34 pounds of taters) and am working up the cut potatoes for the freezer. Made a cole slaw for company tomorrow, and am making some egg salad. So I'll probably have a dab of the sweet potatoes, slaw and egg salad.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Its 50 freezies out there right now ...
What's that? I mean, do you mean 50 degrees?

It's my daughter’s birthday, 7, my parents are coming, she already had a birthday party at school, so no big deal for her. I left brisket in the oven before I left for work, by the time I come home it will be perfect. I just hope I come home before guests arrive. I still have to make mushroom soup, mash potato, gravy, some chicken schnitzel for some of my kids that will not even touch the beef, and I'm going to make the pastry dough cookie my daughter loves. In Russian they are called "Mother's-in-law tongue”. Very simple. Readymade pastry dough. Cut the dough into rectangles, about 2 X 5 inches. Very approximately. Spread some sugar onto the working surface roll the dough pressing just hard enough so that sugar will stick inside the dough, leave one piece clean on the bottom, and layer them up together, maybe 4-5 pieces. Sprinkle some water on the baking sheet. Bake per box instruction. When done let it cool sprinkle with some powder sugar serve with a nice cup of tea or coffee, my daughter will be happy with some soda, but I’m not buying any.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Head Chef
I am going to make a hamburger then pack to head home for a few days.
My YouTube cooking channel
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I'm going to have tuna noodle casserole and peas tonight. I might get extra lazy and just add the peas to the casserole.

LOL--This brought back a memory from my teens. A friend was having supper with us and my mom had made tuna noodle casserole. My dad knew that they fed their cats Tender Vittles cat food, so he teased her and told her it was Tender Vittles noodle casserole. She was so tickled!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Master Chef
I had a pan of lasagna in the freezer so that's what we're having. Will make some garlic bread to go with it. The lettuce is gone and it's not worth going out just for that so will forgo the salads tonight.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Shrimp with lobster sauce and some good Gordon's gin (not the stuff from the UK)

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote