Dinner tonight Friday 11/14/14?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I plan on making chicken chalupas tonight; corn tortilla, refried beans, shredded chicken, cheese, guacamole, shredded swiss chard, chopped onion, dab of salsa and sour cream.

What's cooking at your place?

Oh, beth! I love chalupas. Yum!!!

In spite of brilliant sun all day long, the thermometer has barely reached 40F, so today is definitely a "warm 'em up" kind of food day.

Bright and early this morning, before all the laundry and cleaning was started, I put on a huge pot of white beans that I added a couple of pounds of smoked turkey necks, a mess 'o chopped onions, some garlic, plenty of bay leaves and let it all simmer low and slow until a little while ago. I tasted for salt, added a little, and proclaimed it a done deal.

To aid in warming the house, I baked 2 dozen mini cornbread muffins to have with the beans. We'll wash it down with some tea and have butternut cake for dessert.

I'm thawing out a big slice of hamburger onion pie, and I'll have a bowl of fresh split pea soup. I added a handful of frozen mixed veggies for color. Looks nice, but the peas are being stubborn about doing that final disintegration.

Dinner today was a day to play in the kitchen with a friend. I had four recipes to test drive so we got together today and hit it.

German-style pork tenderloin with caramelized onions, raisins, and apple (a variation of the German pork roast I make with beer and apple cider, but did not take as long to cook)
potato pancakes with a twist
warm kale salad
red cabbage with caraway

We took pics of when we plated the tenderloin with the potato pancakes and salad and another with the salad removed and the tenderloin on top of the cabbage. If it were up to me, I'd pick the kale salad (easier to prepare, less time) and prettier on the plate. My friend preferred the cabbage, but she is Czech-German so this was definitely a comfort-food meal for her. She did say she didn't like kale...but then asked if she could take some of the leftover salad home. I guess she liked it. Unfortunately, she forgot the cable for her camera so I am still waiting for the pics.

I plan on making chicken chalupas tonight; corn tortilla, refried beans, shredded chicken, cheese, guacamole, shredded swiss chard, chopped onion, dab of salsa and sour cream.

What's cooking at your place?

Here it is..

Attachments

• DSCN2732.jpg
    DSCN2732.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 187
Made chili, Rob requested chili, Rob never asks for chili, it's not really his thing, but it was tasty on this cool fall day.

Sorry, no pictures, but Kayelle cooked up some lip smacking pork ribs. We discovered these pork loin back ribs at Von's and they are very meaty! She did them in her secret sauce, and they were delicious. The ribs were cooked perfectly, with just a hint of the sauce.
With that we had sliced marinated English cucumber and a vegetable melange.
It was a mixture of broccolini, rice, and sweet sugar tomatoes.

Dinner today was a day to play in the kitchen with a friend. I had four recipes to test drive so we got together today and hit it.

German-style pork tenderloin with caramelized onions, raisins, and apple (a variation of the German pork roast I make with beer and apple cider, but did not take as long to cook)
potato pancakes with a twist
warm kale salad
red cabbage with caraway

We took pics of when we plated the tenderloin with the potato pancakes and salad and another with the salad removed and the tenderloin on top of the cabbage. If it were up to me, I'd pick the kale salad (easier to prepare, less time) and prettier on the plate. My friend preferred the cabbage, but she is Czech-German so this was definitely a comfort-food meal for her. She did say she didn't like kale...but then asked if she could take some of the leftover salad home. I guess she liked it. Unfortunately, she forgot the cable for her camera so I am still waiting for the pics.
Finally got a pic.

Attachments

• Nov 14 plate 1-2.jpg
    Nov 14 plate 1-2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 164
Back
Top Bottom