Dinner tonight, Friday Dec 7, 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some bacon and sausage that I have to cook, so I'm doing breakfast for supper. Pancakes, scrambled eggs, the bacon and sausage, and toast if the bread is still good.

Dinner will be somewhat boring tonight. It's cold out so I pulled some beef stew out of the freezer.

French chicken in a pot (from CI's Jan/Feb Issue), Caesar salad, hot bread....

Whole chicken cooks for 1.5 to 2 hrs at 250 after browning on both sides, with just a spattering of aromatic veggies, in a very tight pot at the lowest oven shelf setting. The juice in the pot is strained and defatted and passed with the carved bird.

Too easy not to try;)

I saw that recipe, mozart. I can't wait to make it. It would be a great Sunday meal for Buck and me. You'll have to report back on how it turned out. I'm about 100% certain it will be just great.

French chicken in a pot (from CI's Jan/Feb Issue), Caesar salad, hot bread...Whole chicken cooks for 1.5 to 2 hrs at 250 after browning on both sides, with just a spattering of aromatic veggies, in a very tight pot at the lowest oven shelf setting. The juice in the pot is strained and defatted and passed with the carved bird.Too easy not to try;)
can you do it with one of these

Last edited:
I'm making Greek pork chops (sprinkled with salt, pepper, garlic and oregano, topped with lemon slices, baked with potatoes around them) and Greek green beans with onions, garlic, oregano and tomatoes. I got the idea for Greek somewhere ... ;) The house smells great right now.

I don't have the article in front of me but it did discuss the type of vessel you show in your picture, LEFSE. You probably can use it. The recipe says to put a layer of aluminum foil between the pot and the lid. I would assume it is to make sure the seal is tight.

I saw that recipe, mozart. I can't wait to make it. It would be a great Sunday meal for Buck and me. You'll have to report back on how it turned out. I'm about 100% certain it will be just great.

Two words, Katie: Yum, Yum:rolleyes:

The article was right on. Very juicy, with better chicken flavor then I'm used to. This was a $3.59 Wal-mart chicken, so the results could be even better with a better quality chicken.

The skin is nothing to brag about and I took that off, saving quite a few calories. I think you will be happy with this recipe.

Yes, but it requires some more work which to me is part of the beauty of this recipe.

The whole chicken is browned on top of the stove, breast side first then the dark meat and left breast side up in the dutch oven.

Since your clay cooker is not stove-top safe, you would have to brown in another pot or pan and deal with the clean-up.

The "secret" of this method is very little moisture from other ingredients and a very tight cover seal, hence the aluminum foil that was mentioned above.

I have that issue, too, and will try it soon. The article says they prefer a Dutch oven over a clay roaster, because the roaster can't be used on the stovetop, so you need to dirty another pan to brown the chicken. Otherwise, the results were the same.

Yes, but it requires some more work which to me is part of the beauty of this recipe.

The whole chicken is browned on top of the stove, breast side first then the dark meat and left breast side up in the dutch oven.

Since your clay cooker is not stove-top safe, you would have to brown in another pot or pan and deal with the clean-up.

The "secret" of this method is very little moisture from other ingredients and a very tight cover seal, hence the aluminum foil that was mentioned above.

Lots of great minds think alike on this forum ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom