"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Dinner Tonight Friday Sep. 20th

It was supposed to be a nice warm day today after a few days with a chill in the air. Think jeans instead of shorts.

It may not be as warm as forecast but it's quite pleasant.

I plan to grill a couple of burgers on the grill tonight.

What's on the menu for you guys?

Old 09-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I made super burritos. I cooked the extra-large flour tortillas on an oiled sheet pan atop the stove -- got 'em a little charred. Then I filled them with some ground chuck and rice (pre-cooked), some refried beans (warmed), lettuce, sour cream, cheddar cheese, guacamole, and hot sauce.

Came out yummy.

jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Ramen noodles with charred chicken, as well as green onions, spinach and a soft boiled egg with togarashi seasoning as a finish. Broth was chicken stock, bones, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and green onions. Chicken marinated in hoisin, sesame oil, garlic and ginger mix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-09-20 18.00.06.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	36755  
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Linda is making some country-style pork ribs, which I love, but for some unknown reason, hadn't had for months. Likely with mashed potatoes.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
Executive Chef

We had leftover burger and refried bean enchiladas that I made yesterday. Sauce was spiffed up canned ranchero sauce and is sort of a midwestern spiciness in a modest sort of way. I'm not sure I've put beans in enchiladas before, burritos yes. Mucho guacamole.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Our dinner isn't very creative, I'm afraid. My son and I ordered pizza, which should be here in about an hour. He got a plain cheese pizza and BBQ chicken wings and I got a white pizza (thin crust, light on the cheese) with ham, pineapple, green pepper and onion.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
Master Chef

I had the other half of the stuffed bell pepper that I made for yesterday's dinner. It was loaded up, and I couldn't finish it all yesterday. The last of the watermelon for a side.

Linda, I haven't ordered pizza in quite a while, but yours sounds like one of my faves.....thin crust, ham, and yes, pineapple. Like your son, I usually order a side of chicken wings as well. Nice leftovers for the next day.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I had the other half of the stuffed bell pepper that I made for yesterday's dinner. It was loaded up, and I couldn't finish it all yesterday. The last of the watermelon for a side.

Linda, I haven't ordered pizza in quite a while, but yours sounds like one of my faves.....thin crust, ham, and yes, pineapple. Like your son, I usually order a side of chicken wings as well. Nice leftovers for the next day.
I love pineapple on pizza. So yummy
Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm down for a ham/pineapple/almond slivers/cinnamon pizza. Tomorrow. Or sometime. I''m stuffed after rummaging tonight.

We have an abundance of leftovers (again), and Himself is off playing astronomer. When I was standing at the deli counter while shopping today, I was parked in front of the braunschweiger. I got four slices, two for me and two for Himself. I had half a sandwich on homemade rye with lots of Gulden's, tomato slices, and lettuce. I also had an open-faced tuna melt with some of the leftover tuna salad, accompanied by a bit of leftover potato salad. Might finish up the last of the watermelon later.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
Sous Chef

It was my wife's birthday, so she picked the menu. Chicken Paprikash, rice, salad. For dessert, she chose my raspberry walnut tart instead of cake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	user1541_pic6191_1423938931.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	36756  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Nice tart, Silversage!

I made another batch of lentil salad, to use up a bunch of those cherry tomatoes I picked last night. I added some of the beans, which I steamed, then plunged into ice water, before draining.

Surprisingly, this was not very hot, despite having a chocolate hab and a red savina; while the recipe was 1˝, the peppers were doubled. I guess the heat is decreasing, due to the lower heat outside now.
Lentil salad, with some steamed beans added this time. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 09-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm down for a ham/pineapple/almond slivers/cinnamon pizza. Tomorrow. Or sometime. I''m stuffed after rummaging tonight.

We have an abundance of leftovers (again), and Himself is off playing astronomer. When I was standing at the deli counter while shopping today, I was parked in front of the braunschweiger. I got four slices, two for me and two for Himself. I had half a sandwich on homemade rye with lots of Gulden's, tomato slices, and lettuce. I also had an open-faced tuna melt with some of the leftover tuna salad, accompanied by a bit of leftover potato salad. Might finish up the last of the watermelon later.
That's my favorite Hawaiian-type pizza. I got hooked on Donatos Hawaiian because of the cinnamon and sliced almonds and if I make a Hawaiian pizza at home, that's exactly how I do it.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I made another batch of lentil salad, to use up a bunch of those cherry tomatoes I picked last night. I added some of the beans, which I steamed, then plunged into ice water, before draining.

Surprisingly, this was not very hot, despite having a chocolate hab and a red savina; while the recipe was 1˝, the peppers were doubled. I guess the heat is decreasing, due to the lower heat outside now.
Lentil salad, with some steamed beans added this time. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
I love love love lentils.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
It was my wife's birthday, so she picked the menu. Chicken Paprikash, rice, salad. For dessert, she chose my raspberry walnut tart instead of cake.
Looks heavenly !!
Old 09-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Here's a pic of Linda's Country Style Ribs served with basmati rice.

Braised 2 hours, it was fall-off-the-bone scrumptious - it was my best din-din in many days - I'll have to have it more often.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8859 Country Style Ribs 2.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	36757  
Old 09-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Nice looking tart, Silversage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
That's my favorite Hawaiian-type pizza. I got hooked on Donatos Hawaiian because of the cinnamon and sliced almonds and if I make a Hawaiian pizza at home, that's exactly how I do it.
Yup, it's a Donato copy. When we lived in suburban Cleveland, a Donato store was about a mile from our home. After a round of regular type pies (pepperoni, mushroom, sausage types), we decided to order a couple of their specialty versions. Our son wanted to try the pineapple one, the rest of us not so much. Turns out we all liked it. A lot.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Roast beef & burgundy gravy on roll and French fries.

Name:	roast_beef_fries_091918_IMG_6254.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	36758
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
I love love love lentils.
You would love, love, love my pantry, Linda! I have at least a dozen types of lentils, though this just used the last 24 oz of my chana dal. I'll have to visit the Indian grocer tomorrow, and take him some curry leaves.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Roast beef & burgundy gravy on roll and French fries.

Attachment 36758
Wouldn't take me long to give this a huge thumbs up if I was asked if I wanted some - love this kind of beef dish!
Old 09-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Nice looking tart, Silversage.

Yup, it's a Donato copy. When we lived in suburban Cleveland, a Donato store was about a mile from our home. After a round of regular type pies (pepperoni, mushroom, sausage types), we decided to order a couple of their specialty versions. Our son wanted to try the pineapple one, the rest of us not so much. Turns out we all liked it. A lot.
It's definitely amazing. The cinnamon gives a sweetness boost to the pineapple and those almonds lend a wonderful crunch. Best Hawaiian pizza out there, that I've tried. We have a couple of local places that use ham, pineapple and bacon. And while I love bacon, it just doesn't work for me on a 'Hawaiian' pizza. There's already enough saltiness from the ham. The bacon makes it almost inedible, in my personal opinion. It's overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
You would love, love, love my pantry, Linda! I have at least a dozen types of lentils, though this just used the last 24 oz of my chana dal. I'll have to visit the Indian grocer tomorrow, and take him some curry leaves.
I love them all as well. I love the tiny little red lentils, as they cook faster than brown lentils and I'll sometimes toss them into vegetable dishes and soups.

Tags
dinner