Dinner Tonight Friday Sep. 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
It was supposed to be a nice warm day today after a few days with a chill in the air. Think jeans instead of shorts.

It may not be as warm as forecast but it's quite pleasant.

I plan to grill a couple of burgers on the grill tonight.

What's on the menu for you guys?

I made super burritos. I cooked the extra-large flour tortillas on an oiled sheet pan atop the stove -- got 'em a little charred. Then I filled them with some ground chuck and rice (pre-cooked), some refried beans (warmed), lettuce, sour cream, cheddar cheese, guacamole, and hot sauce.

Came out yummy.

Ramen noodles with charred chicken, as well as green onions, spinach and a soft boiled egg with togarashi seasoning as a finish. Broth was chicken stock, bones, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and green onions. Chicken marinated in hoisin, sesame oil, garlic and ginger mix.

Attachments

• 2019-09-20 18.00.06.jpg
    2019-09-20 18.00.06.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 115
We had leftover burger and refried bean enchiladas that I made yesterday. Sauce was spiffed up canned ranchero sauce and is sort of a midwestern spiciness in a modest sort of way. I'm not sure I've put beans in enchiladas before, burritos yes. Mucho guacamole.

Our dinner isn't very creative, I'm afraid. My son and I ordered pizza, which should be here in about an hour. He got a plain cheese pizza and BBQ chicken wings and I got a white pizza (thin crust, light on the cheese) with ham, pineapple, green pepper and onion.

I had the other half of the stuffed bell pepper that I made for yesterday's dinner. It was loaded up, and I couldn't finish it all yesterday. The last of the watermelon for a side. :yum:

Linda, I haven't ordered pizza in quite a while, but yours sounds like one of my faves.....thin crust, ham, and yes, pineapple. :) Like your son, I usually order a side of chicken wings as well. Nice leftovers for the next day. :)

I had the other half of the stuffed bell pepper that I made for yesterday's dinner. It was loaded up, and I couldn't finish it all yesterday. The last of the watermelon for a side. :yum:

Linda, I haven't ordered pizza in quite a while, but yours sounds like one of my faves.....thin crust, ham, and yes, pineapple. :) Like your son, I usually order a side of chicken wings as well. Nice leftovers for the next day. :)

I love pineapple on pizza. So yummy :yum:

I'm down for a ham/pineapple/almond slivers/cinnamon pizza. Tomorrow. Or sometime. I''m stuffed after rummaging tonight.

We have an abundance of leftovers (again), and Himself is off playing astronomer. When I was standing at the deli counter while shopping today, I was parked in front of the braunschweiger. I got four slices, two for me and two for Himself. I had half a sandwich on homemade rye with lots of Gulden's, tomato slices, and lettuce. I also had an open-faced tuna melt with some of the leftover tuna salad, accompanied by a bit of leftover potato salad. Might finish up the last of the watermelon later.

It was my wife's birthday, so she picked the menu. Chicken Paprikash, rice, salad. For dessert, she chose my raspberry walnut tart instead of cake.

Attachments

• user1541_pic6191_1423938931.jpg
    user1541_pic6191_1423938931.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 78
Nice tart, Silversage!

I made another batch of lentil salad, to use up a bunch of those cherry tomatoes I picked last night. I added some of the beans, which I steamed, then plunged into ice water, before draining.

Surprisingly, this was not very hot, despite having a chocolate hab and a red savina; while the recipe was 1½, the peppers were doubled. I guess the heat is decreasing, due to the lower heat outside now.
Lentil salad, with some steamed beans added this time. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm down for a ham/pineapple/almond slivers/cinnamon pizza. Tomorrow. Or sometime. I''m stuffed after rummaging tonight.

We have an abundance of leftovers (again), and Himself is off playing astronomer. When I was standing at the deli counter while shopping today, I was parked in front of the braunschweiger. I got four slices, two for me and two for Himself. I had half a sandwich on homemade rye with lots of Gulden's, tomato slices, and lettuce. I also had an open-faced tuna melt with some of the leftover tuna salad, accompanied by a bit of leftover potato salad. Might finish up the last of the watermelon later.

That's my favorite Hawaiian-type pizza. I got hooked on Donatos Hawaiian because of the cinnamon and sliced almonds and if I make a Hawaiian pizza at home, that's exactly how I do it.

I made another batch of lentil salad, to use up a bunch of those cherry tomatoes I picked last night. I added some of the beans, which I steamed, then plunged into ice water, before draining.

Surprisingly, this was not very hot, despite having a chocolate hab and a red savina; while the recipe was 1½, the peppers were doubled. I guess the heat is decreasing, due to the lower heat outside now.
Lentil salad, with some steamed beans added this time. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I love love love lentils.

Here's a pic of Linda's Country Style Ribs served with basmati rice.

Braised 2 hours, it was fall-off-the-bone scrumptious - it was my best din-din in many days - I'll have to have it more often.

Attachments

• IMG_8859 Country Style Ribs 2.jpg
    IMG_8859 Country Style Ribs 2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 93
Nice looking tart, Silversage.

That's my favorite Hawaiian-type pizza. I got hooked on Donatos Hawaiian because of the cinnamon and sliced almonds and if I make a Hawaiian pizza at home, that's exactly how I do it.
Yup, it's a Donato copy. When we lived in suburban Cleveland, a Donato store was about a mile from our home. After a round of regular type pies (pepperoni, mushroom, sausage types), we decided to order a couple of their specialty versions. Our son wanted to try the pineapple one, the rest of us not so much. Turns out we all liked it. A lot.

Nice looking tart, Silversage.

Yup, it's a Donato copy. When we lived in suburban Cleveland, a Donato store was about a mile from our home. After a round of regular type pies (pepperoni, mushroom, sausage types), we decided to order a couple of their specialty versions. Our son wanted to try the pineapple one, the rest of us not so much. Turns out we all liked it. A lot.

It's definitely amazing. The cinnamon gives a sweetness boost to the pineapple and those almonds lend a wonderful crunch. Best Hawaiian pizza out there, that I've tried. We have a couple of local places that use ham, pineapple and bacon. And while I love bacon, it just doesn't work for me on a 'Hawaiian' pizza. There's already enough saltiness from the ham. The bacon makes it almost inedible, in my personal opinion. It's overkill.

You would love, love, love my pantry, Linda! I have at least a dozen types of lentils, though this just used the last 24 oz of my chana dal. I'll have to visit the Indian grocer tomorrow, and take him some curry leaves.

I love them all as well. I love the tiny little red lentils, as they cook faster than brown lentils and I'll sometimes toss them into vegetable dishes and soups.

Back
Top Bottom