Dinner tonight. May 29, '19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Chef John inspired dinner tonight.

I actually baked his lemon bars for dessert, and dinner will be his Crab Stuffed Sole. I happened to have a very small package of fresh crab in the freezer, so this will be a good use for it.

It looks and sounds good to me, and I'll do some kind of fancy rice along with some steamed broccolini.

Here's his recipe, and the video looks simple enough.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/2.../?recipeType=Recipe&servings=2&isMetric=false

What's cookin at your house?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kayelle, perhaps you could change the date while you still can.

I had one of my favorite meals, Luca Lazzari's lasagne. SO had an Atkins dinner as we're going to a wedding in July and she has to fit into a certain dress.

London Broil, baked potato, mixed veg and snowflake rolls for me. Pretty easy one tonight. I did spend some time prepping and steaming the the veg. Grill for the meat and MW for the spuds. The rolls I made on Monday. Less than an hour for the whole meal. It was a belt buster too.

I had a steamed artichoke with lemon butter for dipping, and the last scoop of a small potato salad I threw together yesterday.

Kay, that Chef John stuffed sole recipe sounds delish. :yum:

Welcome to the dinner thread, Hooker! :flowers:

Tonight is our last 'cook night'
in the apartment before we packing up
to leave :(

DH will have his last plate of assorted Poke
with Steamed White Rice, some chopped Kamuela
Tomatoes, Japanese Cucumbers and the last of the
Kamaboko aka steamed Fish Cake.
I'm having some Kahuku Corn-off-the-Cob,
mixed Salad Greens, local Edamame, local Red
Sweet Bell Peppers, and some local Garlic Shrimp.

Hawaii Kitchen, CLOSED :chef:

Sounds like a wonderful meal Kgirl and MrK....yet bittersweet. :heart: Have a safe trip back to AZ. :)

Sad day for you, I'm sure, K-Girl. :( Safe travels going back to AZ. At least you can look forward to playing with your new veggie cutters when you get back. Assuming they don't lose the luggage. :ermm: Do you think they'd let you put them into you carry-on? :LOL:

I had better things to do than cook tonight (painted our wooden porch rocker, among other things), so we worked over leftovers. There was enough of the chicken with mushrooms, potatoes from a few days earlier, and veggies for tonight that we still have the hot dogs and potato salad left for tomorrow!

I had a steamed artichoke with lemon butter for dipping, and the last scoop of a small potato salad I threw together yesterday.

Kay, that Chef John stuffed sole recipe sounds delish. :yum:

Welcome to the dinner thread, Hooker! :flowers:

It was really good Cheryl but I cheated with the topping by squeezing Kewpi mayo all over the tops of the fish rolls and sprinkled Tajin' on the top. :rolleyes::yum:

Sounds like a wonderful meal Kgirl and MrK....yet bittersweet. :heart: Have a safe trip back to AZ. :)

Sad day for you, I'm sure, K-Girl. :( Safe travels going back to AZ. At least you can look forward to playing with your new veggie cutters when you get back. Assuming they don't lose the luggage. :ermm: Do you think they'd let you put them into you carry-on? :LOL:

I had better things to do than cook tonight (painted our wooden porch rocker, among other things), so we worked over leftovers. There was enough of the chicken with mushrooms, potatoes from a few days earlier, and veggies for tonight that we still have the hot dogs and potato salad left for tomorrow!

Mahalo, thanks gals!
And CG, my carry-on bag has already been stuffed with DH's
Hawaii purchase of Koa, an indigenous wood, replica of the main
Hawaiian Island Chain

IMG_4129.jpg

Each time that we come home, we buy one piece of local
art to take back. DH has had his eye on this piece
for many years and it came down quite a bit
in price, so I convinced him to get it.

We had IP pineapple chicken on rice with broccoli..
Dessert was Andy's Apple Squares.. That is too addicting.. :yum:
Ross

Attachments

• Pineapple chicken, rice and broccoli.jpg
    Pineapple chicken, rice and broccoli.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Andy's Apple Squares.jpg
    Andy's Apple Squares.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 120
Salid! included broccoli, corn, boiled egg, carrot, cucumber, lemon juice, mixed herbs, salt, and black pepper

It was really good Cheryl but I cheated with the topping by squeezing Kewpi mayo all over the tops of the fish rolls and sprinkled Tajin' on the top. :rolleyes::yum:
That's not a cheat - that's a variation! :mrgreen:

Sounds great. I'm putting it on my list of things to try, but I'll swap the sole for local flounder and the Dungeness crab for local blue crab. Did you serve it with asparagus?

Last edited:
DH shelled and blanched fresh peas from the garden, so I made a lemony, minty butter sauce to go with them, over black pepper and Parmesan ravioli. I also added a few capers. Roasted asparagus with lemon juice and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on the side. And my mise en place, just for the fun of it ;)
0529191951.jpg0529192031.jpg

Last edited:
That's not a cheat - that's a variation! :mrgreen:

Sounds great. I'm putting it on my list of things to try, but I'll swap the sole for local flounder and the Dungeness crab for local blue crab. Did you serve it with asparagus?

Yep, that Kewpie squeeze bottle really came in handy for this, and the Tajin' was effective. I used fresh chives from the garden in the filling, and finely diced red bell pepper. Your fish ideas sound great. SC was quite impressed.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom