"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

My boyfriend was supposed to come over for dinner, but he ended up having to work, soo....I splurged on a delicious steak while grocery shopping this afternoon. I'm planning on grilling it, and serving it with mixed salad greens, potato wedges & a glass of good red wine. Dessert will be fresh strawberries with balsamic vinegar.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
My boyfriend was supposed to come over for dinner, but he ended up having to work, soo....instead I splurged on a delicious steak while grocery shopping this afternoon. I'm planning on grilling it, and serving it with mixed salad greens, potato wedges & a glass of good red wine. Dessert will be fresh strawberries with balsamic vinegar.
.............and what time 'is' dinner?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
Head Chef

After cooking all day yesterday for company, tonight is an evening out. One of our nicest local restaurants is running a Friday special (it is low season here and few tourists) of Dorado (Mahi-Mahi) dinner, including tortilla soup or salad, rice and vegetables, the fish cooked any way you like it (al gusto) and coconut flan for dessert for only 100 pesos (about $10 USD). We're meeting some friends there and plan to enjoy.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Vera! Eggs on a pizza? Tell us more. I'm intrigued...........
One of the more comforting dinners I recall from when I was a kid was a saucepan of marinara sauce that my mom simmered vegetables in. About 5 minutes before we'd eat, she crack a few eggs into the simmering sauce and let them poach in the gravy. She'd serve that over rice or pasta. About a year ago, Lou and I dined at Osteria in Philadelphia (it's practically impossible to get a table there, now). It's a very upscale chic type of Italian bistro. One of the specials that night was a pizza that had an egg sitting right in the middle. It's an amazing flavour combination. It's all about the spicy sauce and the loose egg yolk.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
Head Chef

Oh that does sound good. I'm going to try it. Bet DH would love it. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
.............and what time 'is' dinner?
Ah, er, about half an hour ago *laughs*. I'm on GMT+1, so it's 7.30 pm here :). The steak was to die for, but since this was the first time I made potato wedges (only having eaten them on holiday in Australia a few years ago before), they were nice, but...needing practise *G*.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Something simple tonight. Hamburgers, mashed potatoes, gravy, and some other veggie.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Suppose to storm tonight - (hate being in a RV during a storm) !!!
Tonight will be pizza and may make a salad.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

Tonight is my last dinner for my current border Even though it was sometimes difficult to keep up to his plain meat and potatoes diet, after 10 months I am realy going to miss him. Though I start right in tomorrow with a new one!

Anyway, I whipped up a batch of very special perogies with a potato, bacon, riccotta and cheddar filling and will do my usual onion butter sauce. We will have smokies with it and since I made the molten chocolate cake yesterday, I have an apple crisp in mind for tonight.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
Ah, er, about half an hour ago *laughs*. I'm on GMT+1, so it's 7.30 pm here :). The steak was to die for, but since this was the first time I made potato wedges (only having eaten them on holiday in Australia a few years ago before), they were nice, but...needing practise *G*.
Did you bake or deep fry the wedges? I have found that if you parboil the wedges first just until the edges start to "crumble", then dry them on paper towels and cool a little they work very well. For deep frying I just put them in the oil (but make sure they are very dry) and for baking I toss them in some olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs (I love thyme and Rosemary). Hope this helps.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote