"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Actually I can tell you exactly how I made the fusilli/pecorino/ricotta!

"The Complete Book of Pasta and Noodles." Editors of Cook's Illustrated. Clarkson Potter. New York (2000).:

Ricotta cheese, either whole-milk or part-skim provides a creamy base for sharp pecorino cheese. For a milder flavor, substitute parmesan for the pecorino. You may use another fresh herb, such as basil or even mint, in place of the parsley. Good ricotta cheese can be quite stiff so be prepared to use the entire 1/2 cup of reserved pasta cooking water to thin out the sauce. Serves 4.

Salt
1 pound fusilli or short, tubular pasta
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Ground black pepper

Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta to the boiling water. Cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking wate; drain the pasta and transfer it back to the cooking pot. Mix in the ricotta, butter, pecorino, parsley, salt and peper to taste, and enough reserved water to keep the mixture moist. Divide among 4 warmed pasta bowls and serve immediately.

I cut the recipe in half and used more parsley than suggested. I just got everything ready while the pasta boiled...perdy eazy. I also ended up using a decent amount of the reserved pasta water like the recipe mentioned and I still could have put more in.

brad

Old 03-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom of the Kitchen
Actually I can tell you exactly how I made the fusilli/pecorino/ricotta!

"The Complete Book of Pasta and Noodles." Editors of Cook's Illustrated. Clarkson Potter. New York (2000).:

Ricotta cheese, either whole-milk or part-skim provides a creamy base for sharp pecorino cheese. For a milder flavor, substitute parmesan for the pecorino. You may use another fresh herb, such as basil or even mint, in place of the parsley. Good ricotta cheese can be quite stiff so be prepared to use the entire 1/2 cup of reserved pasta cooking water to thin out the sauce. Serves 4.

Salt
1 pound fusilli or short, tubular pasta
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Ground black pepper

Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta to the boiling water. Cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking wate; drain the pasta and transfer it back to the cooking pot. Mix in the ricotta, butter, pecorino, parsley, salt and peper to taste, and enough reserved water to keep the mixture moist. Divide among 4 warmed pasta bowls and serve immediately.

I cut the recipe in half and used more parsley than suggested. I just got everything ready while the pasta boiled...perdy eazy. I also ended up using a decent amount of the reserved pasta water like the recipe mentioned and I still could have put more in.

brad
sounds wonderful and better yet, sounds easy, thank you for posting. tomorrow's the today I thought about yesterday....

Old 03-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #33
Executive Chef

That looks great, Phantom! I'll have to give it a whirl.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #34
DC Grandma

Kadesma,
How do you make your Pork Masala.......my niece made it once when I was visiting her in Big Bear but all she did was brown chicken breast and pour Marsala wine over it and simmered it. It was good since I'd never has it before to know what I was tasteing....LOL

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
Kadesma,
How do you make your Pork Masala.......my niece made it once when I was visiting her in Big Bear but all she did was brown chicken breast and pour Marsala wine over it and simmered it. It was good since I'd never has it before to know what I was tasteing....LOL
Marge,
I'll post the recipe for you in the pork forum. I hope you will enjoy it we love it and make it with either chicken or pork pretty often. I do use a sweet marsala in my recipe the traditional will tell you a dry marsala, me I reallly do prefer the sweet. Your meat won't be sweet sweet, just a nice soft slightly sweet taste to it.

kadesma
Old 03-29-2006, 05:39 AM   #36
Senior Cook

I had a bagel with cream cheese. I guess it's my comfort food.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #37
Head Chef

I had the day off yesterday so I made Burgandy Beef Stew.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:42 AM   #38
Master Chef

Last night was a real quicky. A package of hot Italian turkey sausages sauteed in some extra virgin olive oil, served on a bed of mixed baby greens, & topped with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese & a light drizzle of Balsamic vinegar dressing.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

Here is my dinner from last night.