"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Well, I will try.

I was most certainly drunk the first time I made my beef and veggie soup. I know I spent way too much on the ingredients.

I know that I use beef stew meat from Kroger, which is basically scraps of whatever beef they cut up that day. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt that none of the scraps ever fell on the floor.

I cut the meat up into small pieces -- big pieces of cheap meat don't make good soup, from my experience.

I brown it first. Do not skip this step. That is where a lot of flavor comes from. I use a cast iron Dutch Oven.

My first veggies are generally the "trinity," or cajun Mirepoix, which I sauté in the beef browning fat and some added oil, as needed. Once I get the trinity where I want it, I use one or two of those little bottles of Gallo cabernet sauvignon (or equivalent cheap but drinkable wines). I use a little at first to de glaze the bottom of the DO, and then add the rest.

Then I dump in the browned meat, I also add some stock to cover everything. Beef or chicken stock seems to work equally as well, believe it or not. I then toss in my diced potatoes. I like reds, because they are waxier. Russets work, too, and give a thicker broth. Again, this is "seat of the pants" cooking. Waxier potatoes seem to take a long cook better. You can also throw in carrots, if you like them -- I don't.

I let it simmer for a few hours to break down the meat in the cast-iron DO.

Tender veggies like corn and peas, I save until the end of the cook. Maybe fifteen minutes from serving.

As for seasonings. Salt pepper and garlic are key. I also tie up a bundle of rosemary and thyme and remove it at the end of the cook. Why? Because I have it growing in my yard, and I think it tastes good. You can go your own way with spices and herbs.

Good luck! This "recipe" comes "as-is, no guaranty."

I really think that the most important thing is to brown the beef, and make good use of the fond left behind.

CD

Casey, mahalo, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I started with a
3 pound grass fed chuck roast that I cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Browned them in batches in bacon fat and olive oil and removed them from the pot. Next I sauteed
2 large onions in the pot, then added
5 chopped celery stalks,
carrots (my own super sweet carrots, lots of them)
lots of potatoes
4 cups beef broth
a quart of my V-8 juice which is heavy on the garlic
and added the beef cubes back in
Brought to a boil and simmered 4 hours on low
At some point during the simmer I added
2 store bought cans of green beans
2 cans peas
2 cans corn
and my secret weapon...one pint of HOT green chile sauce

This is recipe I looked at..

https://therecipecritic.com/vegetable-beef-soup/