"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #31
Executive Chef

The DW got some nice flounder filets from work. Seasoned with salt, pepper, Old Bay and cayenne then broiled. Over a bed of the DW's bell pepper rice. Chardonnay.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
That is one of the reasons that if I have any say so, I will always have a gas stove.

We (the Ex and I), ate Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, veggies (don't recall whitch ones) by candle light durning a ice storm years ago.
I do have a gas stove And a gas water heater, too, so we can even shower in hot water if there's no electric power. However, I may not want to open the fridge if the power is out, and let all the cold air out. But since we have an extra fridge in the sunroom (decided to keep it after renovating the kitchen last year), I think I will move the meats and veggies I'll need for dinner to that one, and the one in the kitchen can stay closed, if necessary.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

i got home late from school (and now i have no class), and wasn't in the mood for the fish that dw grilled, so i made a boiguh by sealing in a hunk o' cheddar between 2 pre-formed patties, then grilled it and topped it with onion, tomato, and lettuce from the garden.

it was oozy good.

sides were a salad, fries, and baked beans.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I do have a gas stove And a gas water heater, too, so we can even shower in hot water if there's no electric power. However, I may not want to open the fridge if the power is out, and let all the cold air out. But since we have an extra fridge in the sunroom (decided to keep it after renovating the kitchen last year), I think I will move the meats and veggies I'll need for dinner to that one, and the one in the kitchen can stay closed, if necessary.

Good idea. I wish I had that backup. I found out durning hurricane Isabel, that without power for 4 days, the top two shelves of my freezer thawed, but the bottom two stayed frozen solid. Yesterday I rearrange a few things in the event of a power outage, I will still be able to save the meat and a package of bread dough (never know if you will need bread dough in a power outage!).
Old 09-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Good idea. I wish I had that backup. I found out durning hurricane Isabel, that without power for 4 days, the top two shelves of my freezer thawed, but the bottom two stayed frozen solid. Yesterday I rearrange a few things in the event of a power outage, I will still be able to save the meat and a package of bread dough (never know if you will need bread dough in a power outage!).
Pizza on the grill!

Yeah, Isabel was a very interesting situation. We lost power and water for about 5 days. DH laughed at me when I filled up the bathtub before the storm, but it sure came in handy when we had no running water. We couldn't get ice afterward, but I had read somewhere about buying a case of water, opening each one to take out a little of the water, and then freezing them to use as freezer packs in the cooler until they melted, and then of course, you had more water. Didn't do that this time, but if Josephine comes our way, I will.