"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-17-2006, 11:53 PM   #31
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I always fix corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day, but I got home way too late for that tonight. I couldn't cook it in the crock pot because I didn't have any corned beef yet! I bought 4 on the way home (3 went into the freezer for later). We had tacos tonight (green lettuce, so we were ok on that, lol), and I will cook the corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and onions tomorrow.

Barbara

Old 03-18-2006, 12:11 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
We're going to make Corned Beef and Cabbage next week, I cooked about 200 lbs the last week, with all of the fixin's, honestly, even being Irish, I am kinda sick of looking it.

But I did make a Spinach/Potato Soup that was pretty tasty!!

Old 03-18-2006, 02:05 AM   #33
Senior Cook

I've never celebrated st-patrick's day, and I didn't even know it was today, so nothing special here... Hubby's at work, I'm still hurt from my burns, so no cooking... I ended up reheating some ham and cheese macaroni in the microwave. Not my favorite type of dinner
Old 03-18-2006, 03:30 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
callie I was thrilled with the results. I got home and put the beef on a cutting board tented with foil. I threw a cabbage, quartered, into the Crockpot and turned the heat to high. That cooked for about 40-45 minutes. The beef was so tender, the potatoes with perfect, and the cabbage had just the right crunch. Yeah I was very pleased with the way it came out.
So glad it turned out well, GB. Sounds like the recipe I posted, except for the beer. Had a feeling you might make it in the crockpot. Did it shrink at all?

The market here has the best salad bar, so... I made a salad of artichokes hearts, beets, crab, mushrooms, green beans, a little bleu cheese dressing (I forget what else I put in there) & a grilled lemon & pepper chicken breast on the side. Tomorrow I may have the zucchinni pancakes I took out. (It's still green, right? )
Old 03-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #35
Head Chef

We had the corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and carrots and apple pie for desert. Claire, I love your soup idea.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #36
Master Chef

Ours turned out great, also. After 6 hours in the crockpot on low, the corned beef was perfectly tender, and I took it out and let it stand while I cooked the cabbage on high, just as GB did. I found at the last minute that I didn't have any decent potatoes, but I didn't miss them.
HB got his corned beef on rye, and I got my corned beef & cabbage and some toasted rye bread to go with. I cooked a whole big head of cabbage, so I'll be lunching on it all week.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Did it shrink at all?
It sure did. Everyone here told me it would shrink a lot and they were not joking. What had looked like would feed 4 people raw only fed 2 of us cooked. It really became a very small piece of meat. It tasted amazing, but next time I will get the biggest one I can find.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

the shrinkage is incredible gb. and i usually buy the biggest one that i can find as well.
you always end up with much more potatoes and cabbage than corned beef, so the next day i like to mash the potatoes, chop the cabbage and mix it into the potatoes with a hunk o' butter and chopped scallions, kinda like making colcannon.

we ended up having sashimi last night. normally that would have made me happy, but...

oh well, there's always next year.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #39
Cook

One of the guys that I work with is Irish, so last night he was having a St. Patrick's day party.
So my boss told me that he would pick us up so that we would all be safe and so that we could drink if we wanted.
So I was at one of my coworkers house when the boss called us to come down. So as we are walking out we see this Limo. We are saying someone is going out on the town tonight. My friend says were are they? I say, I think the limo is here for us. He says no way, I say, I think so. Then the driver opens the door and our boss says, Are you guys looking for a ride.

Pretty cool.

Anyway this is about food.
Dennis, our Irish co-worker, had Irish soda bread, wheat bread, irish butter, irish potato chips, cabbage, potatoes, some kind of salted ham. And ofcourse there was plenty of Guiness to drink.

It was a really fun time, and I believe that it was my first time in a limo.

It was a happy st. pat's day.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #40
Head Chef

kingfish - you have a cool boss!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote