"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 02:50 AM   #21
Master Chef

We had pasta and sauce, with a salad before. It can't be Sunday Sauce, though, since I made it on Saturday when I did a couple meals ahead. I used bucatini because it was what I had in the kitchen pantry. For a first, I added some Italian sausage to the sauce when I started it. Meh. The sausage didn't have much flavor left, the sauce didn't taste as good as usual, and it was greasy. Meh. Good thing I didn't make my normal 8-10 quart batch of Cooking Goddess' Family Spaghetti Sauce Recipe. If Himself wants sausage with pasta dinners from now on, I'll just go ahead and make one or two links separately for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I got a huge russet potato at Kroger a few days ago. I'm going to bake it, and burry it in unhealthy stuff -- butter, sour cream, shredded cheese and chives.
You forgot the bacon. Or ham. Or bacon AND ham.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:52 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
casey, this was actual Taylor ham.

K-girl, most folks from NJ - North to South - call it Taylor ham, as well some small areas of Eastern Philly and Northern Delaware. It's just pork roll everywhere else.

That bagel looks good nonetheless.
Hmmmm, I was born and raised in South Jersey, 40 miles East of Philly.

There is the Mason-Dixon line of pork products in Jersey. North Jersey calls it Taylor Ham, South Jersey calls it by it's proper name, Pork Roll. It even says it on the package -- Taylor Pork Roll.

It is a somewhat serious for some, but mostly just fun debate for people of New Jersey.

On May 15, 2016, President Barack Obama's gave a commencement speech at Rutgers University's 250th graduation ceremony. "I come here for a simple reason -- to finally settle this pork roll vs. Taylor ham question." "I'm just kidding. There's not much I'm afraid to take on in my final year of office, but I know better than to get in the middle of that debate."

The important fact is that Boar's Head meats "imports" Taylor Pork Roll to Dallas, so I can buy it. The people at the deli counter have no clue what it is. I usually have to tell them that they sell it, and where it is.

Next, we'll tackle the Hoagie vs Sub division in Jersey.

CD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	porkroll.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	26244  

Old 02-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I think 40 miles east of Philly puts you in the Atlantic, doesn't it?

I've never heard anyone call it Taylor pork roll. If Taylor is mentioned, it's always ham.

Same goes for all of the breakfast places I've been to down the shore, and even near Camden.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You forgot the bacon. Or ham. Or bacon AND ham.
Oh, I didn't forget bacon. I never forget bacon. I guess I was just too lazy, or had a moment of health consciences. I'll try not to let it happen again.

CD
Old 02-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I think 40 miles east of Philly puts you in the Atlantic, doesn't it?

I've never heard anyone call it Taylor pork roll. If Taylor is mentioned, it's always ham.

Same goes for all of the breakfast places I've been to down the shore, and even near Camden.
Down "South" when I was growing up, the Taylor name was never mentioned. It was just "Pork Roll." Everyone just new what that meant. You went to the "meat market," and asked for Pork Roll.

As for 40 miles from Philly, it was called Glassboro. The "shore' for us was Wildwood, where we vacationed in the summertime. That's where we got our Salt Water Taffy. There was this place on the boardwalk where you could see them make it. I won a Mortimer Snerd Ventriloquist Doll at an arcade game one evening on the boardwalk.

CD
Old 02-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #26
Master Chef

I have a couple questions. Do the folks from Jersey drive as bad at home as they do when they come to south Florida and does Jersey, like New York, issue drivers licenses to dead people?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh, Jersey drivers are horrible. Pennsylvania drivers are crazy, but Jersey drivers drive at all speeds in any lane at any time, hesitate, stop where they shouldn't to read signs, and so on.

I'm a NYC driver, as my wife frequently reminds me with her fingernails in the arm rest. That is based on one principle: that everyone will be OK if we all are equally aggressive, you don't merge until the end, bumper to bumper traffic means just that - no holding back, and lane lines are just suggestions. Oh, and a sidewalk is a possible lane if a garbage truck is blocking a side street at 5 AM.

Florida is a bizarre mix of old folks who go slowly everywhere with their blinkers on all the rime, and NY/NJ transplants that have no idea where they are going, but they're getting there fast.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Down "South" when I was growing up, the Taylor name was never mentioned. It was just "Pork Roll." Everyone just new what that meant. You went to the "meat market," and asked for Pork Roll.

As for 40 miles from Philly, it was called Glassboro. The "shore' for us was Wildwood, where we vacationed in the summertime. That's where we got our Salt Water Taffy. There was this place on the boardwalk where you could see them make it. I won a Mortimer Snerd Ventriloquist Doll at an arcade game one evening on the boardwalk.

CD
I've been to Glasboro. My sister graduated Glassboro State many years ago. Pretty country down there. It was the first place I picked my own corn and watermelons, found that you could eat raw corn because it was so sweet. And you could keep watermelons and beer cold in a stream during the summer.

My wife used to go to Wildwood every year. I've never been. We were LBI folks. If we went further south, we continued on to Rehoboth or Ocean City, Md..
Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #29
Executive Chef

I've had Taylor "ham" once. We went for breakfast to a diner that caters especially to New York/Jersey area transplants. I thought Taylor "ham" was a way of curing it like Virginia ham. It was okay, but definitely not what I thought I was going to get (never assume) and I certainly won't go out of my way to have it again.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #30
Master Chef

So, caseydog and buckytom, where do you stand on scrapple or goetta?

Tags
dinner