Dinner tonight Sunday 2/19/17?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had pasta and sauce, with a salad before. It can't be Sunday Sauce, though, since I made it on Saturday when I did a couple meals ahead. :D I used bucatini because it was what I had in the kitchen pantry. For a first, I added some Italian sausage to the sauce when I started it. Meh. The sausage didn't have much flavor left, the sauce didn't taste as good as usual, and it was greasy. Meh. Good thing I didn't make my normal 8-10 quart batch of Cooking Goddess' Family Spaghetti Sauce Recipe. If Himself wants sausage with pasta dinners from now on, I'll just go ahead and make one or two links separately for him.

I got a huge russet potato at Kroger a few days ago. I'm going to bake it, and burry it in unhealthy stuff -- butter, sour cream, shredded cheese and chives.
You forgot the bacon. ;) Or ham. Or bacon AND ham. :yum:

casey, this was actual Taylor ham.

K-girl, most folks from NJ - North to South - call it Taylor ham, as well some small areas of Eastern Philly and Northern Delaware. It's just pork roll everywhere else.

That bagel looks good nonetheless. :yum:

Hmmmm, I was born and raised in South Jersey, 40 miles East of Philly.

There is the Mason-Dixon line of pork products in Jersey. North Jersey calls it Taylor Ham, South Jersey calls it by it's proper name, Pork Roll. It even says it on the package -- Taylor Pork Roll.

It is a somewhat serious for some, but mostly just fun debate for people of New Jersey.

On May 15, 2016, President Barack Obama's gave a commencement speech at Rutgers University's 250th graduation ceremony. "I come here for a simple reason -- to finally settle this pork roll vs. Taylor ham question." "I'm just kidding. There's not much I'm afraid to take on in my final year of office, but I know better than to get in the middle of that debate."

The important fact is that Boar's Head meats "imports" Taylor Pork Roll to Dallas, so I can buy it. The people at the deli counter have no clue what it is. I usually have to tell them that they sell it, and where it is.

Next, we'll tackle the Hoagie vs Sub division in Jersey. :D

CD

Attachments

• porkroll.jpg
    porkroll.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I think 40 miles east of Philly puts you in the Atlantic, doesn't it? :)

I've never heard anyone call it Taylor pork roll. If Taylor is mentioned, it's always ham.

Same goes for all of the breakfast places I've been to down the shore, and even near Camden.

I think 40 miles east of Philly puts you in the Atlantic, doesn't it? :)

I've never heard anyone call it Taylor pork roll. If Taylor is mentioned, it's always ham.

Same goes for all of the breakfast places I've been to down the shore, and even near Camden.

Down "South" when I was growing up, the Taylor name was never mentioned. It was just "Pork Roll." Everyone just new what that meant. You went to the "meat market," and asked for Pork Roll.

As for 40 miles from Philly, it was called Glassboro. The "shore' for us was Wildwood, where we vacationed in the summertime. That's where we got our Salt Water Taffy. There was this place on the boardwalk where you could see them make it. I won a Mortimer Snerd Ventriloquist Doll at an arcade game one evening on the boardwalk.

CD

Last edited:
I have a couple questions. Do the folks from Jersey drive as bad at home as they do when they come to south Florida and does Jersey, like New York, issue drivers licenses to dead people?:ohmy::angel:

Oh, Jersey drivers are horrible. Pennsylvania drivers are crazy, but Jersey drivers drive at all speeds in any lane at any time, hesitate, stop where they shouldn't to read signs, and so on.

I'm a NYC driver, as my wife frequently reminds me with her fingernails in the arm rest. That is based on one principle: that everyone will be OK if we all are equally aggressive, you don't merge until the end, bumper to bumper traffic means just that - no holding back, and lane lines are just suggestions. Oh, and a sidewalk is a possible lane if a garbage truck is blocking a side street at 5 AM.

Florida is a bizarre mix of old folks who go slowly everywhere with their blinkers on all the rime, and NY/NJ transplants that have no idea where they are going, but they're getting there fast.

Down "South" when I was growing up, the Taylor name was never mentioned. It was just "Pork Roll." Everyone just new what that meant. You went to the "meat market," and asked for Pork Roll.

As for 40 miles from Philly, it was called Glassboro. The "shore' for us was Wildwood, where we vacationed in the summertime. That's where we got our Salt Water Taffy. There was this place on the boardwalk where you could see them make it. I won a Mortimer Snerd Ventriloquist Doll at an arcade game one evening on the boardwalk.

CD

I've been to Glasboro. My sister graduated Glassboro State many years ago. Pretty country down there. It was the first place I picked my own corn and watermelons, found that you could eat raw corn because it was so sweet. And you could keep watermelons and beer cold in a stream during the summer.

My wife used to go to Wildwood every year. I've never been. We were LBI folks. If we went further south, we continued on to Rehoboth or Ocean City, Md..

I've had Taylor "ham" once. We went for breakfast to a diner that caters especially to New York/Jersey area transplants. I thought Taylor "ham" was a way of curing it like Virginia ham. It was okay, but definitely not what I thought I was going to get (never assume) and I certainly won't go out of my way to have it again.

So, caseydog and buckytom, where do you stand on scrapple or goetta?:ohmy:

Last edited:
Hot dog burritos, I guess. I had hot dogs and I wanted ketchup and cheese on them. I didn't have buns but I spotted the tortillas and well, .......heated the hot dogs, warmed the tortillas, and added the ketchup and cheese.

Not half bad.

I'll eat healthy tomorrow.

Oohhhh!!! Back home there's a new food craze going on at one of the popular fast food/sit-down joints:
Zippy'sZip Dog with Pastrami - Zippy's

Oh, Jersey drivers are horrible. Pennsylvania drivers are crazy, but Jersey drivers drive at all speeds in any lane at any time, hesitate, stop where they shouldn't to read signs, and so on.

I'm a NYC driver, as my wife frequently reminds me with her fingernails in the arm rest. That is based on one principle: that everyone will be OK if we all are equally aggressive, you don't merge until the end, bumper to bumper traffic means just that - no holding back, and lane lines are just suggestions. Oh, and a sidewalk is a possible lane if a garbage truck is blocking a side street at 5 AM.

Florida is a bizarre mix of old folks who go slowly everywhere with their blinkers on all the rime, and NY/NJ transplants that have no idea where they are going, but they're getting there fast.

:LOL:
I thought that my husband was the only one who used this term!
DH is from the Philly area, but moved to Hawaii in his 20's. We spent the first day of our honeymoon in Wildwood. He tried to get me to go into the ocean, but egads! There were hypodermic needles and syringes strewn all over the so-called beach, NO WAY! Are you kinding me? I'm from Kaneohe Oahu Hawaii, I spent all of my free time at Lanikai Beach :ROFLMAO:

My SIL (DH's sister) still lives on Oahu and whenever they come to visit (or go back East to see family) we MUST get her as many Taylor Hams as we can fit into her suitcase to take home. :yum:

So, caseydog and buckytom, where do you stand on scrapple or goetta?:ohmy:

My family loves scrapple. I do not. Although, to be honest, I haven't had it since I was a kid. I don't know if I can get it here, or not. I haven't looked for it.

As for the driving question, people pretty much everywhere suck at driving, just in different ways. I drive all over the country for business. I'm always discovering new ways for people to drive badly. Outside of the US, they have additional ways to drive badly. Florida is a place where people from everywhere who drive badly go to retire, and drive everyone from somewhere else nuts who drives badly, but in a different way.

I don't drive a whole lot in Dallas, because all the roads around me are toll roads. It costs me at least ten bucks to go more than ten miles.

BTW, my baked potato was very good, but actually too big. I couldn't finish it. Good thing I didn't add bacon.

CD

He tried to get me to go into the ocean, but egads! There were hypodermic needles and syringes strewn all over the so-called beach, NO WAY!

It wasn't that way when I was a kid. Actually, I thought that was a North Jersey problem, even now. I haven't been back in a long, long time. I fly in and out of Newark a lot, but don't get to spend any serious time in Jersey.

CD

I remember someone talking about driving in a city where the sidewalks were something you herded the pedestrians back up on. I think it was New York.

Oohhhh!!! Back home there's a new food craze going on at one of the popular fast food/sit-down joints:
Zippy'sZip Dog with Pastrami - Zippy's

KEWL!!!

K-girl, what year did that happen, with the syringes on the beach in Wildwood?

It's happened about a dozen or so times over the last 40 years, but mostly to nothern NJ beaches. It's a shame, though, that folks think all NJ beaches are constantly strewn with medical waste.

I won't swim or keep fish I catch any farther north than Point Pleasant beach, which is about 60 miles south of NYC. Anything closer to the city, and the water goes from green/blue to greyish brown.

I remember someone talking about driving in a city where the sidewalks were something you herded the pedestrians back up on. I think it was New York.

KEWL!!!

The NYC police tried that in midtown, to herd pedestrians on sidewalks, but it didn't work. There's just too many people.

Back
Top Bottom