"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 08-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #41
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Sephora
What part of NC are you in?
I live in the foothills, actually almost in the mountains between Boone and Winston Salem.

southerncooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:57 PM   #42
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Sephora
I should not look at this thread on a daily basis. Now I'm craving Fritos and chili. Could be good since Steelers football is on tonight. Is it wrong to have chili cheese dip for dinner?
Ok....I'll bite..........whats up with your cat????? Is it laying in water or is that kitty litter?

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:28 PM   #43
Head Chef
Kinda tired this evening,
So another vote for the cheese burger and fries meal.
At least I have some horseradish cheese and garden ripe tomatoes to perk the burgers up a bit. Not quite sure how to jazz the fries up a bit though.
Any suggestions?
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:29 PM   #44
Master Chef
Originally Posted by MarionW
Marinaded & Grilled Venison
Lots of Merlot................

Would you mind sharing your marinade recipe and grilling method, Marion? We have a LOT of lovely venison in the freezer, and it's almost hunting season again.

We are also having venison tonight. I got a bag of Italian Venison out of the freezer.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:15 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Most absolute dear, I will share.

I made no specific measure of ingredients. But, I do feel confident, if one were to follow these approximate scales, satisfaction would be obtained. And please do understand, our meal preparation, at times, is merely "off-da-cuff" and very relaxed. This specific recipe was a mere conglomoration from the cabinets.

One venison roast, sliced to 1/2" thick steaks.

1/2 c Olive Oil
1/2 c Cider Vinegar
Good measure of worcestrshire sauce
Touch of Taragon
3 tblsp mollasses
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
Good splashing of dried basil
Fair "squirt" of ketchup
Small hill, in palm of hand, of sea-salt
Several good cranks of black pepper

Wisk well, pouring over steaks. Allow to marinade several hours. Pour off marinade and boil the marinade for a bit. Grill steaks on hot coals, basting with marinade. Careful not to over-cook. Med-rare, at most. Place steaks in remaining marinade until all other preparation is made. Serve. Enjoy with a robust red.

Sorry for being so "off-da-cuff", but a significant portion of our "during-da-week" meals are prepared this way.

MarionW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:24 PM   #46
Hospitality Queen
ooooooooh yum, Marion!!!

Sephora - that's the location I shopped at most - we've had D-land passes for years. I've finally let them expire, but fortunately there is another one that recently opened nearby.

And, I am now craving fritos too. Lots and lots.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #47
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by lulu
What's in'n'out Jkath?

Last night in this apartment, so I have been winding down the fridge. I am left with garlic, onion, tomatos, mince and the inevitable pasta. I had meant to get a bolognese sause on last night but was out instead, and out this morning, so I have decided to do something I have never done before: pasta with meatballs and a fresh tomato sauce.

We are in a hotel for the next few days, so looking forward to some good restaurant meals!
It's going to be a rainy day here in our Nation's capitol, so I'm making an easy tomato sauce I do a lot with a twist:
1 can tomatoes (whole preferably)
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic (I like garlic)
2 tablespoons EEOL
1 tbs oregano
1 1/2 tbs black pepper
Seasoned or regular salt to taste

Tonight I added black olives. Yum.
"In hindsight, adding extra flour was my way of sticking it to the man, and I stand by it."

--L upon adding 1 cup instead of 1 tbs to a chili recipe.
KeyLimePaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:23 PM   #48
Senior Cook
Leftover Chinese order in.

You've never heard of Frito Pie? I shocked, shocked I say . Well, I was until I noticed you are from the UK.

I've never "eaten" lamb either. I had a small bite once, same with duck, and salmon.
bjcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:35 PM   #49
We had perohe, holupche (sp?), sausage and toasted tomato sandwiches. LOL.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #50
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Ok....I'll bite..........whats up with your cat????? Is it laying in water or is that kitty litter?
LMAO ~ he stuck his head in the box that the kitty litter comes in and got stuck. I heard this loud thumping from the room he was in and found him with the container on his head. I whiped out my trusty utility knife and cut the bottom off. He looked so "what the heck did I do" I just had to take a picture. It took about 20 minutes, my toe nail clippers, my wire cutters, and the utility knife to get the container off his head but he was unharmed. I use the picture because in the end, it really was hysterical when it happened. If I had a video camera I could have sent it in to a funniest video show. He's my curious Charlie always getting into trouble. But I love him.

Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote