Dinner tonight - Thurs. Sept. 13, 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Hi folks.................
bacon/lettuce/tomato/onion/avocado/pickle/provalone cheese topped ground sirloin steak patties atop "lefse".
orange creamy dreamsicle cupcakes for dessert, him, not me:(
ww for him, gatoraide 'rain' for me.

how 'bout you? whatcha making for dinner tonight?

Happy Thursday........:clap:

a mix of 2 salads, fine leaf and shredded, with Mini Bratwursts, and natcho cheese potato wedges.

DH is off to go kayaking with the guys for the weekend, so I'm making a chicken tortellini salad with leftover wine-butt chicken breast and whatever veggies I have - chopped peppers, onions, and avocado. And a green salad and crostini with pesto. The leftovers will make a nice lunch tomorrow.

Tonight, I am excited, we are going to a GREAT Ethiopian place in Georgetown. I will se if I can find a link to the place, but it is awesome!

we were just invited to our neighbor's ramadan feast tonight, but my wife is somewhat freaked out by it. i don't think she'll tolerate the head gear, and i don't blame her. i really want to go, but i doubt i can talk her into it.

sooo, i'm thinking of a pork roast. j/k.

i really do have some sweet italian (pork) sausages to make, and a ton of tomatoes to skin. also, there's a load of wax peppers and eggplants, and a coupla giant zucchini.

hmmm, maybe sausage stuffed baked eggplants?

It's Back to School night so we're going the quick and easy route and having breakfast for dinner. Omelettes, home fries and toast here.

we were just invited to our neighbor's ramadan feast tonight, but my wife is somewhat freaked out by it. i don't think she'll tolerate the head gear, and i don't blame her. i really want to go, but i doubt i can talk her into it.

sooo, i'm thinking of a pork roast. j/k.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: We can always count on you for cultural sensitivity, BT! (And a great laugh) It's quite an honor to be invited to your neighbor's feast. Tell your DW that you find the headgear exotic and strangely exciting and that you'll see if you can borrow it for the rest of the evening.:brows:

Wow....are they requiring that all women wear a hijab or were you considering doing it just to be respectful? Besides, a hijab is something of an honor and clearly marks the woman as one that should not be harassed or annoyed. It’s something of a badge of safety.

And I’m not sure yet what I’m cooking tonight..........

Last edited:
lol again, f-m. i tried that already. i didn't get any further than the "i dream of jeannie" oufit suggestion.

the ladies next door were outside perparing things for tonight's feast, so i told dw just to use me as an excuse for why we can't go, something about having to do some computer work at home tonight, but to give them a coupla eggplants, peppers, and a few choice lunker tomatoes as a thank them for the invitation.

thanks for the info keltin. i'm learning a lot today.
they are pretty strict, so i think they mentioned to dw that she'd be wearing a hijab. i would insist on it out of respect, anyway.

i have no worries about her being harrassed in either event. she's pretty tough. :ermm:

hmmm, anyone know what a ramadan greeting would be? i'm guessing it ain't "happy fasting and self-evaluation".

Last edited:
I think your gift of fresh vegetables from your own garden is a lovely way to acknowledge their holy time! You're a very good neighbor.

So funny about the Jeannie outfit. I think Barbara Eden has fueled more fantasies than all the Playmates of the Month put together!

We have a good chunk of leftover roast beef, so I'm cooking veggies to turn it into beef stew. With it we will have broccoli slaw and biscuits, or cornbread, not sure - fruit for dessert.

BT: cool, I`ve been to one also, the grub`s pretty good too!
IIRC: something that sounds like "salam alycum" is a good greeting, also I know that cucumber is "Keera" and chilis are "kasan mooreez" again spelled phonetically.

although Indian weddings are the best! loads of free booze, and when you whiskey bottle is empty they give you another :)
Diwali also rocks!

and yeah yeah yeah, who cares what Religion, a good time is a Good time, Who Cares!

Hey BT:
Since Ramadan is just starting, I’m surprised they are having a big meal. Fasting during the day and small meals after the sun sets are the norm, but I suppose some may treat the first evening meal of Ramadan like a Fat Tuesday of sorts. Interesting.

I don’t think saying happy fasting and self-evaluation will elicit the desired response! :ROFLMAO:

You could say “Ramadan kareem” though, which is kind of equivalent to us saying “Merry Christmas”. Maybe your wife will change her mind about it in another 30 days and you can go to their “Eid ul-Fitr” or fast breaking feast....that should be a pretty good time!

And back to the topic.....I still haven’t figured out what to cook.........I've kind of got a desire to do something in the outdoor DO again. Hmmmmm.

Breakfast was Ovaltine in 1% milk. Mid morning snack was a banana and a cupa. Lunch was a ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese sandwich on some number of grains (7, 9, multi, I can't remember which) bread with mayo, lettuce, and tomato, 4 ounces of potato salad, an Asian pear, some grapes, a can of Diet Sunkist, and an ice cream sandwich for dessert. Supper will be an iceberg lettuce salad with thousand island dressing, shredded colby and jack cheese, and homestyle (that's what is says on the bag) croutons.

Not sure yet. I have some chicken breasts marinading but I don't know if I'm in the mood for them. Might just make it a hot dog night. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom