"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Hi, I haven't been with the group for long so I don't know if I can ask for recipes. But how do you prepare your squash pickles & hot chow chow? It sounds like it would go great with my black eye peas.

Thanks.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Who is an sol? I've never seen that abbreviation.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcory
Hi, I haven't been with the group for long so I don't know if I can ask for recipes. But how do you prepare your squash pickles & hot chow chow? It sounds like it would go great with my black eye peas.

Thanks.
Sure you can, welcome to the group! Here's the recipe for the Squash Pickles. I didn't make the chow chow so I don't have a recipe for it.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Fried chicken, mac n cheese, cole slaw, peas and NY bread ! ( Out of potatoes, will miss my mashed potatoes and gravy) !
Old 01-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

We're having Burgundy Pork Tenderloin, Homemade Mac & Cheese, Steamed Brocolli, and I may make some Rosemary Biscuits if the kids will let me stay in the kitchen.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Were going to have some scallops that i'm marinating in evoo, lemon juice and a small pinch of cayenne. Then I plan to wrap the marinated scallops in prosciutto,fresh basil leaves after rolling the edges in cracked black pepper and lemon zest. I'm making a mayo/lemon dunking sauce for them Then,brush with more evoo and put in oven on a rack at 450 for about 3 min., twice baked potatoes, spinach wilted with evoo and garlic, and baked apples with creme anglaise..
kadesma
Old 01-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
kadesma,

Won't the scallops be partialy cooked since they're marinating in acid (lemon juice)? Or is that why you have some evoo in there to cut it?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Tonight I eat stupid fish sticks (-_-); Heh I figure they need to be eaten sometime... Blech, such an end of the month food : P

I've wasted so much food since it was the holidays, always eating at so and so's house... not much time to use leftovers : P Now my fridge looks pitiful
Old 01-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Aaaargh CJ, your scallops are having me drooling... they are so expensive here I haven't had them for years now... I really miss them!!

Apart from the leftover homemade cotechino from the New Years eve, I would like to try a new version of rice salad, with avocado, smoked salmon, and robiola/mayo/dill/lemon dressing. We couldn't resist the smoke salmon on sale the other day, 11 a kilo!! Well it came in an entire 1kg package so we have to consume them rather in a hurry, but I am not complaining at all they are so good!!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinemates
kadesma,

Won't the scallops be partialy cooked since they're marinating in acid (lemon juice)? Or is that why you have some evoo in there to cut it?
The scallops won't go into the marinade til just about 10-15 min. before I get ready to cook them..I was going to do them earlier and decided to just wait so the partial cooking wouldn't happen..I'd imagine they would be ruined if marinated to long.
kadesma