Dinner Tuesday, 1-26-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I knew what I was making for dinner until I went to make it. I had a busy day and my hip was barking at me. It took way less time to cut up, then mash, potatoes. We had stuffed cabbage that I freezer-dived for on Monday with plans of having it on Wednesday, and canned corn, too. I'll prep dinner on Wednesday before I start any other work around the house! :LOL:

Attachments

• 2016-01-26 21.08.37.jpg
    2016-01-26 21.08.37.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 136
I finally got around to trying to make the beef stew with barley. Only my hip was really hurting, and I had to stop and lay down for a while. I sautéed the meat, created the broth and added the celery and barley. Put the heat of low and got out the potatoes and carrots. Neither one got peeled. So we ended up eating beef soup with barley and celery. It was DELICIOUS! Only because I fell asleep and let it simmer real slow for almost three hours.

I should have started it in the morning when I still felt alive. :angel:

Well, I knew what I was making for dinner until I went to make it. I had a busy day and my hip was barking at me. It took way less time to cut up, then mash, potatoes. We had stuffed cabbage that I freezer-dived for on Monday with plans of having it on Wednesday, and canned corn, too. I'll prep dinner on Wednesday before I start any other work around the house! :LOL:

CG, do you use your Christmas plates all year long? ;)

You know you can add 1 large potato to a head of cauliflower, steam instead of boil and mash like you would potatoes (milk and/or cream, and butter) and you basically end up with a "healthier" version of mashed taters. I actually kind of prefer it because the cauliflower gives it extra flavor. I've even made "tater cakes" with leftover.

Thanks!

I have heard of that with mashed yellow turnips but not mashed cauliflower.

I will give it a try.

I still feel strange buying one potato, when I was a kid we always had a fifty pound burlap sack in the cellar! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

CG, do you use your Christmas plates all year long? ;)
No. :LOL: I keep them in the kitchen cupboard until winter is over, though. Then I swap them out with the plates that had been taken out to make room for them. I have too many a lot of different dishes. Every time we visit a historical home or village and tour a house with the separate Butler's Pantry that is just for dishware, I wish I had a room like that. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom