Dinner Tuesday, 11-10-2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I made a pot of creamy chicken and wild rice soup last night while I was making our Monday meal. All I need to do is warm it up. :w00t: Thinking of making a wedge-type salad, and definitely making cheesy garlic bread to go with the soup since I doubled-down on the butter/garlic/parsley yesterday. The version with the cheddar cheese was yummy with the ham yesterday, but today's version will have some parm mixed into the butter, and a topping of mozz melted on top.

What's cooking in your kitchen? Or take-out? Take-out's good. :yum:

We stopped for lunch while out running errands today. I brought home a half grilled pastrami reuben from a deli. That should re heat up and get crispy again and will add a spoonful or two of the black eyed pea salad I made yesterday.

I saved half the minestrone I made last week. That and some crusty bread with butter will do the trick.

We have some spelunked broccoli beer cheese soup left, probably will have that with Tater Tots.

I made a kind of chicken 'risotto'- but using pot barley instead of risotto rice with a concentrated chicken stock. Pieces of cooked organic chicken, halved brussel sprouts and cauliflower all added into it when it was done.

Last edited:
Leftover sweet and sour beef stew from a couple of days ago, along with a green salad.

Oh dear! I need a vacation or a trip to the home real fast. I read that as "Leftover sweat".

After that I am not eating supper. I am on a cleaning binge and can't stop. :angel:

Rib-eye w/rice & veg..

img_1443432_0_7e5f9134c5bd47d1cb15bb1792d4d3db.jpg

Mmm...looks good, Joey. :yum: I've been craving a rib eye but am determined to use what I've got in the freezer for the next week or so. Good sounding dinners all around here tonight!

Throw together burrito for dinner here this evening. I used the last vacuum sealed bag of pulled pork, refried beans and rice from the freezer, and doctored it up with a little shredded pepper jack, sour cream, and salsa verde. I'm stuffed.

I just got home from shopping. I'm tired, so I'm just going to microwave some frozen chili cheese dogs. Bought 2 petite sirloin roasts to freeze. It was Buy One Get One Free. So I bought a 1 pounder for $13 and got the other 1 pounder for free! I also bought a ham steak to cut up into cubes to mix with white sauce and peas (sorta like chipped beef meal), but all the stores I went to today don't stock any dry mix packets of White Sauce, damnit. I'm not even sure what White Sauce is, but it's what I use to use for that simple dish. I'll keep looking.

P.S. I found some off the wall supermarket that had super thin wide slices of Bottom Round to use for beef jerky. Just $5 for a pound and I don't have to slice a roast! Needless to say, I'm going back to that place for more jerky meat.

Last edited:
I just got home from shopping. I'm tired, so I'm just going to microwave some frozen chili cheese dogs. Bought 2 petite sirloin roasts to freeze. It was Buy One Get One Free. So I bought a 1 pounder for $13 and got the other 1 pounder for free! I also bought a ham steak to cut up into cubes to mix with white sauce and peas (sorta like chipped beef meal), but all the stores I went to today don't stock any dry mix packets of White Sauce, damnit. I'm not even sure what White Sauce is, but it's what I use to use for that simple dish. I'll keep looking.

Caslon, it's a mother sauce, or béchamel. Super easy.

Melt 2 TBL butter in a saucepan, add 2 TBL flour and whisk over med heat till blended. Reduce heat, slowly pour in 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly till thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste, a little cayenne...whatever you'd like. You can add shredded cheese for a nice cheese sauce, too. :)

Caslon, it's a mother sauce, or béchamel. Super easy.

Melt 2 TBL butter in a saucepan, add 2 TBL flour and whisk over med heat till blended. Reduce heat, slowly pour in 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly till thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste, a little cayenne...whatever you'd like. You can add shredded cheese for a nice cheese sauce, too. :)
I like to cook the roux a bit longer than that, but at low heat so it doesn't turn brown. I can't stand the taste of the flour if it hasn't been cooked long enough.

I like to cook the roux a bit longer than that, but at low heat so it doesn't turn brown. I can't stand the taste of the flour if it hasn't been cooked long enough.

Agreed.

$13 a pound for sirloin! Wow! Can't remember the last time I paid that much for beef.

Last edited:
I was hoping to go to a master gardener lecture tonight, but it didn't work out, so we had leftovers. I had a pork chop and roasted potatoes and DH had shrimp curry with rice.

I made a pork loin roast, rubbed with a puree of sun dried tomato, garlic, salt and EVOO. I forgot the rosemary. Darn, I knew I was forgetting something. Well it still turned out yummy. Served it with rødk�ål, tossed salad, potatoes and gravy/sauce.

Attachments

• IMG_20151110_205220.jpg
    IMG_20151110_205220.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom