"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote from SnickerDoodle (snicker) I have also been know to repurpose the seasoning packets in ramen. Excellent addition to most soups!! Except it's so high in sodium and msg End Quote.

It's not so high in sodium if you put it in more than 2 cups water. I didn't know there was MSG, but it doesn't bother me. I buy the 12 packs first because they are cheap, the seasoning packets are a great add in, especially soups and beans, and the noodles are tasty in a good broth if you don't use too much.

I hope your DH at least has some of the soups/beans as a side dish.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I thought about tacos, but then I decided to go meatless tonight. I will just heat up some refried beans, top it with cheese, chopped onion, lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, and a little sour cream and have it with tortilla chips.

Barbara

Old 12-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I made chicken and dumpling stew from things in the freezer and pantry.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
Everymom

I've got a ham in the oven, some rice blend simmering in chicken broth and a salad prepped and ready to go. No cooked veggie tonight, unless I can find something in the freezer to heat in the microwave.

Its cold and snowing right now. I've got two trays of cookies to go in later, so that will likely be dessert.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I marinated a pork tenderloin in a white wine and herb marinade and made roasted potato wedges seasoned with oil and onion soup mix.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I marinated a pork tenderloin in a white wine and herb marinade and made roasted potato wedges seasoned with oil and onion soup mix.
How did you cook it? In the oven with the spuds?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #17
Master Chef

Chicken strips (dredged in highly seasoned peanut flour (HIGH protein and ZERO gluten) then fried in peanut oil), lemon pan gravy (butter, leftover seasoned peanut flour, chicken stock and lemon juice) steamed and buttered carrot coins and onion, mushrooms and Basmati Rice Medley (basmati rice, wild rice, garden herbs & vegetables) sautéed in butter, chicken stock added for cooking liquid.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
How did you cook it? In the oven with the spuds?

I put the potatoes in separately on a quarter-sheet pan then pan seared the tenderloin in a CI skillet and popped it into the oven to finish cooking.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Quote from SnickerDoodle (snicker) I have also been know to repurpose the seasoning packets in ramen. Excellent addition to most soups!! Except it's so high in sodium and msg End Quote.

It's not so high in sodium if you put it in more than 2 cups water. I didn't know there was MSG, but it doesn't bother me. I buy the 12 packs first because they are cheap, the seasoning packets are a great add in, especially soups and beans, and the noodles are tasty in a good broth if you don't use too much.

I hope your DH at least has some of the soups/beans as a side dish.
Also, the after you rob the ramen of the seasoning packet, the noodles are pretty tasty all crunched up on top of a salad

Dh had nothing to do with the soup tonight but I'm thankful he ate a bowl of it a couple nights ago when it was freshly made.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

we went to the mall to get the little guy's pic with santa, so afterward we ate at the cheesecake factory. it was my first time eating there (dw says i'm a bonehead because we've eaten there before, but i disagree), and i have to say i was impressed. i thought it was going to be another tgi fridays, olive garden, or the like, but it was several notches above them as far as a chain restaurant goes.

it wasn't terribly busy, so we were seated at a nice big table in our own quiet section. thankfully, they didn't stick us next to the other tables in another room with 6 or 7 screaming kids at each just because we have a little guy.

we started with the thai lettuce wraps which were fantastic, but overpriced at $13. but it was a good start.

then, dw had the grilled fish (mahi mahi) tacos with black beans and rice, the boy had mini corn dogs and fries, and i had the grilled pork chops, housemade applesauce, mashed, and spinach.

dw's tacos were really good, and the black beans were delicious. they had just a hint of tobasco in them, and were topped with a bit of melted queso.

my pork chops were really good, the red skin mashed spuds and sauteed spinach were very good as well, but the warm, housemade applesauce was fantastic. it had hints of cinnamon, clove, and cardamom.

our waiter was friendly and attentive so the whole deal was an enjoyable experience.

on our way out of the mall, we stopped by mr. cupcakes Mr. Cupcakes and picked up 3 "snowball fight" cupcakes to go.

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote